Super stupid question about perspective drawing

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Super stupid question about perspective drawing

Postby Eliket » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:10 pm

Hey guys,

I'm going to ask a really stupid question about perspective here. I've read various tutorials and done perspective drawings before, but I am still a bit confused so I thought I would turn to you guys for help so I can finally lay this to rest...

Do all Vanishing Points end on the Horizon Line? Generally I would say, yes. But then when it comes to 3 point perspective, it will not be on the H.L.
Is there a specific way that you can determine the height of the 3rd V.P.? Or is it just something that you eye-ball. I've been eye-balling so far, but feel that this may not be the right way to do it.

Also, is it possible to have an large amount of V.P.'s in the same picture? Just for every set of parallel lines you need another V.P., right? So if you are drawing, say, a messy room with boxes at various angles, will they all have very different V.P.'s if none of them are parallel?

Hope that people can answer this so I can finally stop questioning these things!

Cheers!
Eliket
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Super stupid question about perspective drawing

Postby maelstrom » Sun May 03, 2015 11:27 am

I am not sure what your question is.

I believe you should think of horizon line as an infinite surface on which will sit all the elements you would draw out of the sets of vanishing points that stand on the said "Horizon line". If each element have different sets of vanishing points, all standing on the same horizon line, it would look as a messy room. If you would draw these elements out of different "horizon lines" (perhaps tilted), they would feel like floating in outer space as they will not all sit on the same ground angle. Now, all vanishing points are not on the horizon line in the case, for instance, you draw an angled roof on a house. The roof surface will have its own v.p. standing higher or lower than the one on the horizon line, which creates angled surfaces.

When you say the third vanishing point, I believe it should be taken apart since it influences only the vertical lines of the drawing. It generates the higher/lower impression. You could have two of these, in which way you would generate a fish-eye. In how to position them, think of an outer circle that surround it all: The third should be distanced from the center as much as the two others. In the same way, all pairs of vanishing points should be equally distanced so there is no distortion between each elements.

PS: lines do not need to curve, however, some zones in the graph will distort way too much to be plausible. If working on that grid, think about cropping on a region!

Hope it helps you in any ways. :)
maelstrom
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations