Background questions

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Background questions

Postby towerofdoubt » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Hello, it's been a long time. I had a question about inconsistencies in art. I plan to make a webcomic soon, and is it a bad idea if the characters and objects are drawn with a solid, noticeable line while the background is painted? Everything will be colored of course, but would that be too distracting/inconsistency of style?
towerofdoubt
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Background questions

Postby Kikindaface » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:47 pm

I think a better question would be to know if the style you wanna bring to your webcomic will help the story and the mood of your comic . Trying to do as much as you can on purpose is really important . Most of the time the " general rule " says that thick lines better represent static stuff, while thin or blurry lines is more about movement. in some comics, where dialogs are important, and character are most of the time standing in a static pose, use of heavy lines is quite nice, but then, dunno what your webcomic is about ! maybe try a few pages this way and drop them here to get some critics ?
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Re: Background questions

Postby towerofdoubt » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:09 pm

here is a sample of what my comic will look like. im doing a small one shot as a test. I'm going for thin line art and the story will be intended for mature audiences.
Attachments
page 1 inks and words tod.png
page 1 inks and words tod.png (305.72 KiB) Viewed 915 times
towerofdoubt
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations