Painting only characters

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Painting only characters

Postby MateusRoberts » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:55 pm

I recently realized that I hate painting environments. I thought I was just frustrated because I'm bad at painting them, but I actually don't have the smallest interest in learning to paint them. I love painting characters though, I love studying anatomy and all that goes into painting and drawing nice looking people.
My question is: how can I make a living as a painter while painting only the minimum necessary around my characters?
Can you guys also give me examples of successful artists who only/mostly paint characters?
MateusRoberts
Level 8: Ross Seal

Re: Painting only characters

Postby Kikindaface » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:18 pm

I think you can make a successful career as a character designer, but you have to become really really good at it ! The more you specialize into something, the more you have to master your subject ! But hopefully, there isn't only character design and environment, you ccan also design creatures, or doing industrial design, like weapons, robots, spaceships, etc ! The 2 artists that comes to mind are marko djurdjevic and Alex pascenko, but i'm pretty sure you can find a lot of other guys doing only character design and being successful !
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Re: Painting only characters

Postby MateusRoberts » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:01 am

Marko and Alex are two good examples, thanks Kik. I did some research and found some more, I actually already knew all of them but I'd never payed enough attention to notice how little environments they do/did: Cassegrain Didier, Daniela Uhlig, Dave Rapoza, Dean Yeagle, Even Mehl Amundsen, Frank Frazetta, etc. The list could go on for quite a while, but the point is that it's perfectly viable to have a career while focusing almost exclusively on characters.
MateusRoberts
Level 8: Ross Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations