Concept Artists/Illustrators?(Dumb Question Alert!!)

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Concept Artists/Illustrators?(Dumb Question Alert!!)

Postby Nyatalie » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:18 pm

Hey guys! So I have been secretly wondering why is it that many illustrators also double as concept artists and vice versa. Are the workflows similar or did they have to learn both trades? I am aware that they are not the same but I can't help but look at portfolios of people that are both concept artists and illustrators and having it look more like an illustration.

I'm going to use Mr. Seal as an example. His portfolio is to me, mainly illustration. But one can still consider his trade to be illustration/concept art. Why?? Are his characters and environments all designed by himself from scratch? To me concept art is thumbnailing ideas after ideas like illustration but it also has to work from many angles depending on what the art director asks for. And while the finish product of a concept can be very rendered, it doesn't go to the full extent of being made "pretty" with choosing the perfect storytelling, composition, lighting, etc. In illustration, are you left to design your own characters and environments/scenes at times? That freedom would kind of make you like a concept artists...right? I'm in the dark ages about this haha.

So I guess my question is, where is the line crossed between concept art and illustration? I feel like the two get increasingly similar. So what really divides both of those?
Nyatalie
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Concept Artists/Illustrators?(Dumb Question Alert!!)

Postby aquanoctis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 am

Not a dumb question at all. There is a fair bit of cross over but to me it seems illustration concerns itself more with the final image, the act of painting itself, whereas concept art is all about ideation and design. Whether the final concept piece is painted 'nicely' or not is of lower priority than the design. The concept art serves the purpose of informing other members of team what to do e.g what materials to use when modelling the characters clothes, or giving a director an idea of what their vision will look like on screen. It's problem solving. Essentially I feel the main difference is just that illustration and concept art have different design considerations.
Some stuff that gets released online nowadays for big budget titles under the veil of 'concept art' is a lot of the time created specifically for marketing purposes which can be confusing as the line between illustration and concept art blurs.
aquanoctis
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Nyatalie » Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Thanks alot for explanation aquanoctis, and I do agree that both design for fundamentally different things. Thanks again for the enlightenment on this topic, was bugging me for a while. :]
Nyatalie
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Hai » Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:12 am

imho there are more jobs and more consistent income from concept art. and most of the time pros are skillful to do both, so why not :o
Hai
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations