"Log me on automatically each visit"

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

"Log me on automatically each visit"

Postby Vielmond » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:21 am

Not art-related, but forum related. Since I joined I never managed to remain logged in.

I check this option, do my stuff, and if I remain inactive for ~30min, 1 hour (I don't know the true time limit) my login session expires anyway. That's a bit inconvenient, sometimes I don't post because I can't bother to log in again. It's makes even to keeping track of subscribed threads more difficult. I can't use the links sent to my e-mail because the forum will demand a new log in from me. I'm forced to either log in again—and invalidate the other sessions if I happen to have other open tabs here—or go straight to the first post of the thread, since the "pure" links still work, and navigate to the latest.

Does this issue happen to anyone else?

EDIT: View post #p42903 for details!
Last edited by Vielmond on Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vielmond
Level 5: Grey Seal

Re: "Log me on automatically each visit"

Postby stinkypanda » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:02 am

THIS !! I've gotten used to it by now because I wasn't sure if it happened with anyone else.
The hopping around from page to page in general seems a bit "clunky". I often find that I'm logged out during the time I spend writing a longer comment on a thread, which makes me have to type it all again :(

seems like it should be an easy fix (?)
“Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.” - Salvador Dali

Sketchbook http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2032
stinkypanda

Postby Lodratio » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:41 pm

Yeah, this is something that's happened to me a few times as well. Don't really know if its fixable but if you're tired of having to retype posts there's a plugin called Lazarus that temporarily saves what you write so you can restore texts when this kind of thing happens.
Lodratio
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Vielmond » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:07 am

Phew! It's nice to know it's not only with me.

I just realized this issue also prevents users from making the best of a a very common practice: placing links to their sketchbooks in their signatures. If you follow one of these links you'll be logged out; you have to copy it, get your "session id" query string and manually attach it to the url.

I don't know if it's an easy fix. I've messed a little with forum systems a long time ago and remember nearly nothing. Since it's phpBB I think it's relatively easy to find a ready solution, because it's a well-known BB system. Rest assured someone already implemented such option and shared the code with the world. From my hobbyist coder point of view the problem lies into relying on the "session" ID string coming from the client—it's that "&sid=" end at each URL.

Systems that offer the "remain logged" option use cookies. Sessions expire quickly, cookies don't. I just peeked under the hood and realized permanoobs sets no cookie at all. It's impossible to set a persistent login state relying on query strings only, because if the user follows a link without his current sid the check will fail, and the system just falls apart. That doesn't happen with cookies, nor with true sessions to some extent—I also looked for sessions and permanoobs isn't setting a session either, it just named that string session.

I suspect the current login system generates a random string upon the log in act, hands it over to the user and saves it in the database, with the last activity time. Every time you access a page here it'll look for the string on the URL and check if it matches the saved one, if it doesn't it concludes you're not logged in. If you stay inactive for a X amount of time the sid will expire, the system will wipe it out from the database and require a new log in to generate a new one. That's a less than ideal check, really prone to fail, even if you don't care about persistent login; due the link quirks already mentioned there.
Vielmond

Postby Kikindaface » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:01 pm

same for me, getting logged out from time to time , wrote a post about that a few years ago ( about that and lack of batch uploader ) but still nothing fixed, so i'd say don't count much on a fix and learn to live with that ! it's sad but it's that kind of tiny issues that can be fixed quickly, that prevent some peoples to post and make the community grow and improve ...
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Vielmond » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:03 pm

I didn't report this before because I assumed they were aware and would eventually fix it; then I started to wonder if it wasn't an isolated problem, hence the thread. I didn't locate your thread, kikindaface, or I'd have used my necromantic powers on it, haha.

Anyway, it's bad etiquette to just complain and not help when I actually might be able to help. So, mods or whoever have powers to do stuff happen, I did a quick research and I believe I know both the cause and how fix for this issue.

Cause

The cookies path isn't properly set. I'm 90% sure it's the cause, even without access to admin panel—obviously—because:
1. No cookies are being set by permanoobs.
(on Chrome press F12, go to Resources tab, select Cookies. No cookie for http://www.permanoobs.org. Only exception is the occasional session for their piwik, unrelated to the forum login)
2. We have a sid string on the url. phpBB only attaches this string when it fails to set a cookie.

Source: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1798595

Solution

Fix the cookie path in the admin panel. The path you should use is probably "/", without quotes, since the site is hosted on the root of the domain (URL is not /forum/ or anything similar, the real folder path doesn't matter in this case)

Alternative (in case the path is correct): Make a complete backup, then update the board.

Source: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2211786

Let's cross our fingers now.
Vielmond

Postby Hero » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:23 pm

Does anyone know who's in charge of this sort of thing and how to contact them? I'll do it myself if someone will tell me. It seems like an easy fix and I think it would make the board more attractive to use and help keep the community alive. I really do like it here.

Good job, Vielmond, on figuring it out, BTW.
Hero
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Kikindaface » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:06 am

Hero : you should send a pm to algenpfleger, he's the owner of the forum . Chazillah is an admin but dunno if she has enough rights to modify this kind of stuff !
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Vielmond » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Yep. I ended sending a PM to algenpfleger. I had hopes some mod would see this thread and redirect it to the right person, but since it didn't happen I either just sent the fix for the right person or bothered the wrong one, haha.
Vielmond

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations