Anyone know anything about these brush pens?

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Anyone know anything about these brush pens?

Postby Sagittarius-A-star » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:11 am

Hello! While browsing for art supplies I've occasionally run across these things called Dual Brush Pens from Tombow. http://tombowusa.com/dual-brush-pen-569.html

Apparently it is a dual-tipped brush pen with water-based ink. I was kind of curious about 'em. Do any of you guys and gals have any experience with these things? What are they good for? Does anyone like them?

My main interests are SF illustration and conceptual design. Would these brush pens be the sort of thing that could be used for rendering awesome spaceships or whatever? I guess many different techniques and tools could work, so experimentation is good. On the other hand, if they are only for crafty-type things they may not be the kind of thing I'm interested in... but it is hard to tell.
"To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw."- Andrew Loomis

Sketchbook!- I love advice and crit!!
Crimson Sketchbook
Sagittarius-A-star
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Re: Anyone know anything about these brush pens?

Postby Enydimon » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 pm

I've used them before. They're fine on bristol and probably most other types of paper.

But just treat it as most things that are dual purpose. A specialized tool is often going to be better, but these things aren't bad either and have their place. Just don't expect the thin end to go ultra thin or the brush side to give you nice textures like a pentel brush pen.

They're good for filling things in or using chunkier lines. If you want details then buy a smaller pen to use with it.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Sagittarius-A-star » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:08 am

Thank you, this answered my question! :) Ah, I've wanted a pentel brush pen for a looong time... so I'm more likely to splurge on one of those than on the Tombow. I was curious about its capabilities all the same.

The Tombow web site only showed crafty-type purposes- to the point that the video purporting to show the brush pen's capabilities focused on making little hearts with brush tip. :/ *sigh* That was part of the reason I was not so sure what these were good for.
"To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw."- Andrew Loomis

Sketchbook!- I love advice and crit!!
Crimson Sketchbook
Sagittarius-A-star
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Enydimon » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:52 am

Yeah sometimes these things are rebranded or are marketed as 'craft' tools, but they work just as well. Sometimes it's easier to sell these things in a big craft store than it is to open up an art store in a smaller city, lol.

I do recommend the pentel brush pen if you can get it, though. Tombow one isn't bad, but it just depends on what you're looking for.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations