Hybrid Technica Gel Pens vs Hi-Tec C pens?

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Hybrid Technica Gel Pens vs Hi-Tec C pens?

Postby Sagittarius-A-star » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:34 am

Okay... another random drawing tool question. :D Ever since I watched the FZDschool vid on traditional materials https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3lApsNmdwM I have wanted to get my hands on some Hi-Tec Cs. They are not easy to find but I know I can get 'em on Jet Pens.

Feng Zhou says the Hi-Tec C is a hybrid pen (waterproof ink with a ball tip, not felt or metal tip). Another brand of pen labeled a hybrid is the Pentel Hybrid Technica. How do these two pens compare? Are they are roughly equal, not at all equal in quality, or not even similar? Anyone have any experience with these two? The only thing that makes me compare these pens is the label hybrid so I'd like a bit more info on 'em.

I'm leaning toward the Hi-Tec C. I still want Feng's pen! C:
"To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw."- Andrew Loomis

Sketchbook!- I love advice and crit!!
Crimson Sketchbook
Sagittarius-A-star
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Re: Hybrid Technica Gel Pens vs Hi-Tec C pens?

Postby Sypheck » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:54 am

I don't know anything about the Pentel Hybrid Technica but the Hi-Tec C is a great pen if you intend on using it with copics since it doesn't smear the lines. It's basically a black gel pen so the line it leaves is more akin to a technical pen as opposed to a typical ball point so you won't be able to control how light the line comes out.
Sypheck
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Sagittarius-A-star » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:37 pm

Thanks for reply Sypheck. :) Yeah, sounds like the Hi-Tec behaves like a pigment liner only with a ballpoint instead of a felt tip. Can't wait to try one.

By the way... I see you have been here a couple months, but you have not started a sketchbook yet. Why don't you start posting your stuff so you can get advice and crit and really interact with the community? It doesn't matter how good you are yet. Just keep getting practicing and show us your progress! :)
"To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw."- Andrew Loomis

Sketchbook!- I love advice and crit!!
Crimson Sketchbook
Sagittarius-A-star
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Sypheck » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 am

Well with any luck I'll hopefully have my SB up by next month. I've had some trouble dealing with shit in my life and I'm just finally starting to pick up the pieces. The job I work now is 10 hrs a day and over the past few months I've lost of lot of my discipline with time management that I usually just end up using what little free time I have left goofing off and playing some vidya games with my friends to keep my sanity. I'm incredibly self-critical about my art that over time it just becomes another source of frustration so until I plan out a schedule of some sort I don't want to be another guy that just posts here once in a blue moon since I feel that's something this community doesn't need. However I am serious about improving so in the near future I'll be going all in and just dive into digital painting as that's something I've been holding off for a while now and hopefully track my progress here. For the time being I'll just offer criticism when I can as that seems to be what this community is really striving for at the moment.
Sypheck
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations