how to hold pencil etc. draw properly

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

how to hold pencil etc. draw properly

Postby miyuupon » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:06 am

Hello and it's nice to meet you and this is my first post!

I'm currently self-teaching art and I been having trouble with learning how to get a good drawing or showing that the drawing has some quality to it.
Still learning how to draw fundamentals and not neglecting it at all, I just want to know if there's any practices on going from a messy sketch to being able to regularly and understand how to draw good line art. One of my goals is to master line art like images in old illustrations that uses crosshatching
ie: Image

this is my work now
there's things I need to master like anatomy and being able to draw form, but I feel like my biggest flaw is not drawing properly in position. Admittedly, I use a different grip (putting the pencil against the end of my thumb instead of the proper tripod grip) and draw small strokes instead of large strokes and using my arm.
I think the core of the problem is how I'm not positioning myself properly therefore making little progress. Sorry if this was all over the place, but how do I position myself to draw so I can practice properly and therefore produce good illustrations?
miyuupon
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: how to hold pencil etc. draw properly

Postby Aestechnics » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:46 pm

I'll say right now that in my experience, training line quality / draftsmanship digitally is a huge pain - it's definitely doable and a very necessary skill, but you may be better off learning how to do things like crosshatching and moving your arm traditionally.
It's much more intuitive that way, and you can use the best draftsmanship training tool there is: the pen! Digital offers you too many outs with the eraser and Ctrl+Z, but learning in pen means you have to plan out your movements and be more confident since you can't take back any mistakes. You can somewhat emulate the experience in digital by unbinding Ctrl+Z so you have a pen of sorts, though.
As for actually holding the pencil, you kinda answered your own question! Do not draw small strokes with the wrist, but keep the wrist relatively static / stable and move your elbow and shoulder instead in one long motion. Some good tips on drawing lines can be found here at Draw a Box.
Those exercises shown there may look tedious, but putting in the practice to develop muscle memory in drawing lines, curves, ellipses, etc. is worth it. There isn't any secret or magic trick to getting good draftsmanship, just mileage and time. I hope that helps you!
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook here! Would love to get any criticism or feedback you have!
Aestechnics
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Re: how to hold pencil etc. draw properly

Postby miyuupon » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:37 am

Thanks for the advice and link aestechnics (wanted to quote but for some reason the forum thinks it's spam).
I'll be sad to put away my tablet but I think it would be worth it.
miyuupon
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations