Question to Self Learners

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Question to Self Learners

Postby Zearthus » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:51 am

I have a question. For those whom haven't learned art through academy/atelier, what was your biggest struggle for learning on your own, and how did you overcome it? The reason I'm asking this, because I'm somewhat in last year of my school (not art school), and currently evaluating what I can do when I get into that path of working while practicing art on the side. And eventually move out, since I do not really have the option of receiving payment through online means.
Zearthus
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Re: Question to Self Learners

Postby Hai » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:35 pm

Dont waste time. Do what you love right now. Dont overthink. Execution is better than planning. Repetition instead of knoewledgeoverdose
Hai
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby rezzealaux » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:38 pm

For me my biggest problems were motivation, where to start, and inadequacy.

The first was solved by sitting down and thinking about what exactly I was doing with my time and what I wanted to be doing with my time. I wanted to do something that could be improved on and have showable results, and as far as I could tell only drawing could do this. Everything else either required a lot of time, money, other people's time, other people's money, was not buildable, had unsatisfactory showable results, or some combination.

The second was by luck, as I somehow found my way onto /ic/ where they say LOOOMIS at everything. I've drawn things now and then all my life but nothing looked right, and whatever I did nothing seemed to improve. Granted, Loomis wasn't particularly the thing I needed to hear either, but a chance combination of seeing a few things back-to-back (chances multiplied by reading and looking around a board like that) finally set me straight enough to let me make a change I wanted to see and I finally got going.

The third was by thinking "can I do better than what I've done previously" rather than "can I make something as amazing as [some piece] now". I drew a few things and threw them into a folder where I planned to keep my best work in whatever category. After only using it a few times I stopped, because it became a mental given that I could do much better than last time, and I knew it'd be an actual given once I went and did it.

All of that was a sufficient ignition spark to start; actually doing it feels plenty good enough to keep going.

The details on actually doing it Hai summed up sufficiently.
[Yukio] Mishima had been asked, “What is the passion that drives you?”
He replied, “Being brought up during the war and being told at the age of 20 that everything until then had been a mistake — that’s all.”

[Sketchbook]
[Imgur]
[FB]
rezzealaux
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Choob » Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:58 am

rezzealaux wrote:For me my biggest problems were motivation, where to start, and inadequacy.

This sums up most of the problem areas I think. Personally my motivation is fine until the inadequacy/insecurity kicks in and stops it dead.
You learn faster and better if your mind is focused onto what you're doing, and it's pretty hard to do that if at the back of your mind you're worrying about what ifs, or what happens when you reach a step you don't know how to do etc. Best way around that that I've found so far is to just focus on it step by step, not to look too far ahead to the next piece or whatever, just stick with what's in front of you.

Or to just have fun with it to be honest. Every time I've been really in the zone and painted so long I lost track of time it started out as just playing with some new brushes or scribbling down some dumb idea.
“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought.”
Facebook | Ancient Blog | New Sketchbook | Inspiration Tumblr | My Tumblr
Choob
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Kerro Perro » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:43 am

Personally I only started to get some good forward momentum when i really started to learn about the underlying theory stuff. Say like a reflective surface, before i would just be winging it not having a clue about what i was doing and getting really frustrated. Now i know how that stuff works and can set it up easy. That in turn frees up my brain to focus on the artistic merits of my choices (and i still have a long way to go with that stuff).

That plus experimenting and doing contests and such are usually good boosters for me.
Kerro Perro
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations