Help with controlling emotions *Propbadly stupid question*

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Help with controlling emotions *Propbadly stupid question*

Postby Imjimpi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:45 am

Hey, new here! ive been wondering for a while now that how people deal with
these ardent desires to become better, like when you see someone of your age but
who is vastly better than you, after seeing that.. i know it's so unrealistic to think
but i personally just want to be that good and get to drawing, and nothing comes out of it
i know that trying alone is not enough. But it still happens..

Some days what happens too is that you just wake up and your so into drawing that
the will to just draw itself just overwhelms you, there is no "enough". And
when you go and draw, you get mad at yourself for not being the best you could.
And while that ardent feeling might sound good, i personally just get mad at myself.

If i could promise myself to not ever try so hard i would. But i don´t know what to do.
Has anyone else dealt with this kinda stuff? Any tips?
Each day is a small life lived, live each day to their fullest!

Sketchbook: http://permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3245&sid=26c1d3e5c658e8b6f0b5897edd0e5408
Imjimpi
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Re: Help with controlling emotions *Propbadly stupid questio

Postby Sypheck » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:35 am

As someone that goes through pretty much the exact same thing the only thing I can honestly say right now is to suck it up and work through it. Probably not the most helpful advice but I didn't start drawing seriously until I was in my mid 20s and I wanted to get good to supplement my graphic design work so I put a lot of pressure on myself and that was extremely detrimental to my learning process as I was demanding too much out of myself.

Don't compare yourself to others and think you should be as good as they are, instead use that to motivate yourself and work harder. I'm finally starting to get at a decent level and drawing is finally getting fun for me and for the first time I actually feel like I have what it takes to go for the long haul, but that didn't come without a lot of frustration and anger. For me the self-deprecating attitude is just a part of me and it was nearly impossible to let go but I wanted to improve bad enough to where I just managed to grind through it somehow. From my personal experience training gets easier as you go because the better you get the more motivated you get to start pumping out more work and studies, the very beginning was very tough for me because I couldn't put out a decent drawing for a long time and as a result it was tough to stay motivated. Everyone will tell you to just stop being so hard on yourself and accept where you're at and while that's the best advice you can get, if you're like me that may be extremely difficult and at that point it'll just boil down to how badly you want it.

I don't mean to deter you or anything so take everything I say with a grain of salt. This just happens to be my personal experience and everyone's gonna be different, I just figured I'd let you know what I went through as a beginner as I have a very similar personality and I'm just now starting to learn how to deal with it.
Sypheck
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Imjimpi » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Oh my god i feel you i F E E L you friend. And seriously thanks for taking your time to answer <3
And yeah i think your perfectly right on it in the end. I found yesterday that after writing that message i kinda had to make this one fast drawing or painting where i kinda just do it and let those feelings go. I have a feeling that also being on forum like this also helps people like us, cause your not alone in it.
I'ts still just so hard.. But thanks man. Let's try our hardest!
Each day is a small life lived, live each day to their fullest!

Sketchbook: http://permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3245&sid=26c1d3e5c658e8b6f0b5897edd0e5408
Imjimpi
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby chazillah » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:53 am

i dislike the saying: "don't compare yourself to others". i think it's important to do this so that you can be realistic and objective.

in my opinion it's a balance of understanding the REALITY:
other people are much better than me and I am really not good in comparison

and understanding your CAPABILITIES
but I know that if I work as hard (or harder) than [x artist] and learn from them, I'll reach the same level some day

being realistic is important because:
-> if you delude yourself that you'll get there without realizing that you aren't working as hard as them (feng zhu's 13-15 hour days for example), you'll be constantly disappointed ...to me, this is what really causes the emotional torment for individuals because they think there is a 'magic trick' when there really isn't
-> you will never truly understand the hard work and thinking another good artist has put into their illustrations if you don't sit down and analyze them

Once you come to terms with reality, it will be easier to look at "good artists" and learn and study from them rather than feeling upset about it.

TLDR.... you can sit there feeling upset, or you can just try to learn from the people who are better than you and find out what you're doing wrong. delusion is dangerous and often leads to upset feelings.
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations