Idiot requires help with gesture

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Postby bovinlep » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:55 pm

So I've been told many, many times on my sketchbook thread that I need to study gesture for my crap, but, as obvious from the title of this thread (and the quality of my shit), I'm a fucking idiot who doesn't know how to even begin incorporating it into my drawings, or even just drawing gesture figures in general.

Before you cram resources down my throat, yes, I have looked at videos and what not explaining it, but of course, being the massively inept shithead I am, I don't know how to start.

So please help. I don't want to remain as the worst artist on this site.
bovinlep
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Idiot requires help with gesture

Postby Memy » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:03 pm

Hi I know it must be overwhelming with all the art stuff, I'm the same age as you and all I have to say is it doesn't matter when you start, as long as you practise, you WILL get better. First of all I think you need to be more optimistic and have more confident in your art. Thinking "I don't know how this works" all day won't help you improve, and that is why you must take action. The only way to start is to just start. I started learning drawing last year and after realising all the fundamentals (gestures etc.) I got really exhausted. I had no idea what I was even drawing anymore as I only drew anime for my whole life. I drew a few poses from different sites but stopped after a while because I was overwhelmed.

Look, what I'm trying to say here is it doesn't matter if you're the worst artist on the site. There's always people worse/better than you, What matters now is you start drawing with a positive attitude. If you're frustrated/bored/tired, just drop your studies on the basics and draw what you love. There's no need to force yourself.

If you need help with anything you can message me. We're the same age so I'm sure we can understand each other better.
Memy
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Idiot requires help with gesture

Postby Cruptic » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:51 am

Hey dude,
think you're on the right path, just gotta keep at it. I never liked gestures and about a year ago I was where you are at now.. not really getting it, why doing it at all and to be honest with you I still think today of my gesture drawings as weird and not helpful.
Still I do them every day for 30 mins. I just made it a habit for warm up. and they are far from looking good.. gesture drawings especially in the beginning are not supposed to look good.. so after you accept that it becomes a little more enjoyable.
I saw you got your line of action already in there and your putting arms and legs on your figures. that's perfect. when you start learning anatomy on the site a little and keep at it you should be good man. ;)
do it for a month or so every day a little bit, or every second day, whenever you got time. then after that month look at the drawings you did at the beginning of the month. you thought you weren't getting any better but you will laugh at the old drawings when you compare them to the new ones. do that every month and you'll be able to do more in less time, be more confident about it, building a "library" of poses in your head from which you can draw from when doing something form your imagination and so on.
Hope that helps a bit. Don't get discouraged, you got this :)
Cruptic
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby encous » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:22 am

I have no explanation. Hopefully a mod will be along.. Been here four years and still have trouble with the search feature....

[url=http://vip-viаgransk.ru/catalog/dlya-povysheniya-potentsii/sialis/]сиалис софт[/url]
encous
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations