Forget what you know, draw what you see?

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Forget what you know, draw what you see?

Postby Cam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:01 am

So, something crossed my mind today. I was reading an article related to drawing, and a familiar phrase stuck out to me. "Forget what you think you know, draw what you see". This confuses me greatly, because I thought the point was never to copy, but to reconstruct. In order to reconstruct, one must rely on what they know, and focus less on the abstract shapes they see.

Thoughts??
My sketchbook

Blah, blah, blah, structure
Cam
Level 5: Grey Seal

Re: Forget what you know, draw what you see?

Postby Sophie_Draws » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:22 pm

I think what it refers to is when for example you're painting a scene with a beach, most people 'know' that the sky and sea will be blue, the sand a pale yellow. But when you actually look at it and learn about colour you'll 'see' that in reality the sand will have yellows, greys, greens etc in it. You could be painting a scene entirely from imagination but if you're only going from your mind and not looking at reference and real life examples you may be painting how you think or 'know' metal, for example, looks in a particular light and not how it would actually appear.

Less rambling: what you know may be wrong and you need to learn to really see things properly in order to depict them correctly.
Please correct me if I'm wrong :)
Sophie_Draws
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Re: Forget what you know, draw what you see?

Postby Cam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:43 pm

That makes sense, thank you!
My sketchbook

Blah, blah, blah, structure
Cam
Level 5: Grey Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations