Newbie here; want to fit in!! (ART INSIDE)

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Newbie here; want to fit in!! (ART INSIDE)

Postby Horns » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:44 am

OK. So the forum thinks I'm a spambot no matter how long I edit this huuuuge wall of text introduction so I'm going to keep it as short as possible.

I'm a cartoonist (who also draws realism but likes cartoons the most) and want to know if I'd be welcome to contribute to the forums.

Have some art samples. In no particular order.
Attachments
kai.jpg
The piece I'm the most proud of in this line-up. The first time I got exactly what I wanted out of a drawing. There are major flaws, but I still enjoy it. Kai's her name. (She's not a khajit.)
kai.jpg (60.36 KiB) Viewed 661 times
adam.jpg
(UNFINISHED) Second most recent. I was attempting to make a character sheet for a cast of characters for an idea for a story but gave up. Sort of happens to most of my projects. I need to fix that. His name's Adam, btw.
adam.jpg (213.86 KiB) Viewed 661 times
commission.jpg
My first and only commission for my friend of his DND Dragon Lich character. I got $30.
commission.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 661 times
scribble3.jpg
Made this for a t-shirt design but scrapped it.
scribble3.jpg (127.56 KiB) Viewed 661 times
scribble2.jpg
The most recent doodle of self-aware android Dion and her builder Cerisse.
scribble2.jpg (78.07 KiB) Viewed 661 times
Horns
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Newbie here; want to fit in!! (ART INSIDE)

Postby ubem » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:47 am

Hey welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about the bots, I'm glad you're able to join us. This thread would fit better in the sketchbook section though lol.. Great art work so far, what's your art background like? Looks like you have a lot of experience, hope to see more!
Critiques Appreciated!(Sketchbook)
Artstation
Facebook
DA
"Study the greats and become greater" - Michael Jackson
"Endless practice" - Ruan Jia
ubem
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Re: Newbie here; want to fit in!! (ART INSIDE)

Postby Horns » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:39 am

Ya. I realize I probably should have just posted this in the sketchbook section. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't be rejected from the get-go. I'll move on over to the sketchbook thread as soon as I start doing studies once more.

As for my background? Oh boy. Get ready for me airing out some dirty laundry, man.

I'm mostly self-taught. Throughout most of high school, I drew mostly anime fodder. I had a regularly updated sketchbook on ConceptArt for 5ish years where I taught myself digital painting as I thought that was what I wanted to do. I wouldn't say I'm great at it, but I have a pretty good grasp of fundamentals and have incorporated what I've learned into other drawings. Anyway, the sketchbook received so few comments, I can count them on one hand. Granted, I was not terribly involved with the community and I was much, MUCH less mature than I am now. It took me a very long time to realize I didn't like it there. Then when the site started charging for classes, I left for good. It felt really, really wrong as I had come to the site to learn BECAUSE the people behind it weren't interested in taking my money.

I also have a deviantArt page and a tumblr, but I have pretty much abandoned them as I abhor the site formats.

After high school, I went to SCAD to study 2D animation. I dropped out after the first year (I would have dropped out sooner had my parents not forced me to "stick it out") because I didn't like the school, the people, or the faculty. (Did I mention my lack of maturity?) A long dormant depression erupted. After that, I took art classes at community college while going to therapy in an attempt to rekindle my love for art. I then transferred to a state university where I studied 3D animation. I have my degree now, but have been unable to put it to use. Faced a looooooooooooot of rejection letters for 8 months after graduation. I even got so far as getting an interview at Goddard without any follow-up. As a result, I've relapsed into the deepest depression of my life.

At present, I have been working the last two and a half years as a.............. cashier. Despite liking the company I work for and my coworkers, I'm not proud of it. I hate it. I'm trying to get out, but I'm at a crossroads in life where I can't decide if I want to pursue art as a career or a hobby and if art isn't my career, what should I do? The quarter-life-crisis is real!

I realize now it's my fault I've ended up where I am. I'm terrible at promoting myself and making others see my worth especially IRL. Better late than never, huh? I'm trying to climb out of this hole I've dug for myself. I haven't made a finished piece in almost two years. I'm trying to fix that one step at a time. My first step was finding a new site to be a part of as it helps me stay focused and motivated. So here I am!

Whew! Ok. That's enough of that. Sorry for all the baggage.

As you can see, I don't draw anime anymore. I'm actually quite BAD at it. However, I have obvious influences. I love heavily stylized anime like Panty & Stocking and Tatami Galaxy. I also looooooooooove insanely detailed movies like Redline and Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. As far as western animation goes, I admire Venture Brothers, anything that comes out of Ankama studios (that NEW DOFUS TRAILER OMG), and Genndy Tartakovsky.

My TRUE GOAL is to get my shit together and create a comic. Whether it is a webcomic or a physical comic I haven't decided. I just want to do heavy planning beforehand so I have a solid foundation. I have several stories in mind but think I'm going to stick with the one that involves the imp in my original post. The story is slice-of-life and loosely based off my current job, attitude, and a few people I used to live with. There is no plot so I don't have to worry too much about plot-holes and can focus on character writing. Eventually, I'd like to make a short animation of some sort to promote it. I love the format of anime openings so I might take on a project as ambitious as that somewhere down the road. We'll see!

It's been a while since I actually posted in a forum. Guh. I hope the walls of text aren't too annoying.
Horns
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations