HOW??????????? WHAATT??

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

HOW??????????? WHAATT??

Postby Hai » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:49 am

There is this artist, I dont know how he does it, its like a secret to me:

https://www.artstation.com/artist/tichy

It seems like he is pushing the boundaries of creativity, combining new elements. I imagine he learned a lot about klimt, n.c. wyeth etc.
Maybe some of the more artistic artists here can explain to me.
Hai
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Re: HOW??????????? WHAATT??

Postby sixeh » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 pm

well their russian, so fundamentals get a +5 right from the get go.
lots of painting from life too, i see. obviously they must not have much a life outside of art either.

lots of time spent making there marks matter i think, too. like "less" is more.

a bizarre mixture of taste's at work in there brain.
they go working at something, going no no no no, not right. not my taste.

but then hey i got it! that's my taste!
sixeh
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: HOW??????????? WHAATT??

Postby Imbalantus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:14 pm

A lot of the elements he uses seem very logical to me. Strong emphasis on layering (as in oil painting, not photoshop layers) and rhythm, contrast in rhythm. Pushing form and space wherever possible. For example in shadows he is avoiding blacks in order to push the shadow's dullness so that the light shines more. He is always planning ahead. Imo his strongest skill is his poetic and aesthetic vision. It's what happens when an artist uses his genius and extraordinary skill to paint something meaningful, and not just robots and dragons.

I imagine that once you master the technical aspects of art and you can rely on your hand to do what it's supposed to, and you understand how light and perspective works, it's much easier to focus on styles and mix them to communicate the depth of life.
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations