Beginner unsure where to start

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Beginner unsure where to start

Postby Birdie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:32 am

Hello! I'm new to both these forums and the world of art. I drew some cartoons during my early High School days, but nothing serious. I'd really like to start drawing again, this time more seriously and with an understanding of the fundamentals. Whether I draw more cartoons or choose to go in a more realistic direction, the basics are key!

I'm just unsure where to start. I've seen a lot of people recommend Loomis. I already own "Figure Drawing for all It's Worth" and "Drawing the Head and Hands." Are these books good places to start?

I've also seen people recommend Bammes for studying anatomy. Would you recommend one over the other?

As far as perspective drawing is concerned, a friend loaned me "Perspective Drawing Made Easy," but from what I've seen most people focus on proportions and anatomy before moving onto perspective.

There are local figure drawing classes where I live, and I will most certainly be attending them as well. From what I've heard, drawing from life is absolutely key and possibly more valuable then any book.

Are these good starting points? And is there anything else you would recommend to an absolute newbie?
Thank you so much for taking the time to read all this! I really appreciate it!
Birdie
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Beginner unsure where to start

Postby Enydimon » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:23 pm

All those books are fine.

Whether or not life drawing is better than reading a book is entirely dependent on what you're trying to learn. For instance, you really don't have to go through the trouble of rediscovering formulas for perspective when there are already books on it that have knowledge backed up by hundreds of years of observation and study. Drawing from life is immensely helpful for training your eye to see, but I wouldn't discredit the more academic side of art either.

It's difficult to tell someone where to start without knowing where their current skill level is. Everyone starts at different spots depending on how much they've drawn in the past. If you already have some experience with drawing people via cartoons, then basic proportions and anatomy seem to be one of the better ways to keep someone engaged as they learn.

The only thing I can really recommend is to make sure you do imaginative work along side any studies. Not just for the fact that you'll improve faster that way, but also because allowing yourself to actually play around with art will remind you why you decided to study in the first place.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Re: Beginner unsure where to start

Postby vini » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:32 pm

I think you should study the fundamentals of drawing a lot before you study anatomy.

Learn to draw simple objects in perspective in various positions, organic objects as well. It is fundamental.

Your best teacher is the things around you. Take boxes and draw in several different positions, do this standing and sitting. See the differences.

There are Loomis books that I highly recommend, especially Creative Illustration.

Many perspective books are very technical, careful not to get bored.
vini
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations