Learning & Practice

Can't figure something out? Want to understand something in more depth? Need input, paintovers, pointers? Ask away!

Learning & Practice

Postby Tan-Sau » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi. Beginner here. I'm currently trying to learn the fundamentals, since I'm trying to break out of the anime style. So far, I learned how to copy and draw what I see, as well as bits of information about light, perspective, anatomy, form, and color. I know there's more to learn, but I've been stuck on the concept of practicing. What I mean is that once I learn something, do I practice it for some time, or do I move on to another subject? Also, would it be a good idea to create a schedule for a beginner?
Tan-Sau
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Learning & Practice

Postby jay hugo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:31 pm

Hello tan, welcome.

From what I have seen from your posted stuff in your sketch book I would start working on a lot of gesture, try to figure out the rhythm of the human body. With practicing there is not really a stopping point for anything in my mind. As you begin to learn more about the fundamentals they all start to layer and every time you go to draw something you repeat those layers and steps. Theoretically every time you go to draw something your enhancing your skills, be it anime or studying master paintings but some do offer more knowledge.

Making a schedule is really your choice, If you feel the need for it..go ahead. Do make sure if you want to take art seriously at least practice 3 hours a day if you can. If you can't do that much then I would advise taking a sketchbook everywhere you go..and use it to draw whatever you see whenever you can. Those little periods of drawing through out the day add up quick.

Cheers!
jay hugo
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Return to Questions, Help & Explanations