Inspiration General

Can't draw while eating

Inspiration General

Postby Aragah » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:39 pm

Hey Guys!

I come with an idea, based on a previous thread
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1273

So how about we make this thread about things that we like?
it may be art, artists, comics, manga, movies, music, comedian, science fact or whatever else makes you glad that you are alive.

My Idea is that we keep it concise.
-Limit it to one "thing" a post, and 5 images a post.

So if you wanna show two artist, please make two posts; and don't just post 1 picture of each. post 3-5 that give a good idea of what kind of work that person does(if they do watercolor AND digital, don't post only the watercolor). if you wanna show a band or a sub-genre of music, post 3-5 youtube links to that! if you wanna show a comic/manga, post 3-5 pages of that! if you wanna show a movie/series, post 3-5 screen caps of that!
And if you know some information about the artist or band or whatever it is, share a little bit with us. maybe even tell us why you like it so much!

Someone once told me.
You have to intake to outtake!
Last edited by Aragah on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Check out these sketchbooks!
Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah
Level 8: Ross Seal

Re: Inspiration General

Postby Aragah » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:52 pm

I will start!

I wanna show you guys a manga i read recently called "I am a Hero" by Kengo Hanazawa

It's an on-going story about this slightly depressed and delusional 30-something mangaka assistant named Hideo.
It's weirdly realistic, both in the drawings and how the characters interact with each other and their motivations.
Hideo is a very "beta" character, but he suddenly finds himself in a situation where he is the leader and people are counting on him. Its a lot of fun to watch how he reacts to those situations.
Weird stuff happens and its great.(Things get weird after chapter 11, but I wont spoil that for you!)
Attachments
miamahero_v03p020.jpg
miamahero_v03p020.jpg (89.16 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
liamahero_v02p168.jpg
liamahero_v02p168.jpg (132.41 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
hiamahero_v008p086-087.jpg
hiamahero_v008p086-087.jpg (378.95 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
e010.jpg
e010.jpg (190.54 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
ciamahero_v006p130.jpg
ciamahero_v006p130.jpg (181.97 KiB) Viewed 6129 times
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah

Postby sachsapne » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:13 am

The art style in the manga is pretty awesome

Here is something that inspired me maybe because I could relate it with my life.

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=varun%20inktalks&sm=3

Sorry its just 1 link ._.
sachsapne
Level 11: Ringed Seal

BENJAMIN BJÖRKLUND

Postby Aragah » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:17 pm

BENJAMIN BJÖRKLUND
http://benjamindrawpaint.blogspot.ca/

More of a fine art/gallery scene guy.
some incredible sensibility to shapes and saturation.
fixation with dead things.
Attachments
Scan10008.JPG
Scan10008.JPG (260.47 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
IMG_20130710_1722241.jpg
IMG_20130710_1722241.jpg (197.43 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
DSC_9093.jpg
DSC_9093.jpg (355.34 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
DSC_4840.jpg
DSC_4840.jpg (15 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
DSC_0015.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg (283.84 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah

Postby quintismaximus » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:45 pm

Good Idea for a thread Pedro!

Uh, I guess I'll just post Mike Allred. He's a comic artist who works primarily for Marvel. Last I was aware he was doing the new Silver Surfer book. I mostly know his work from the fantastic series X-Force/X-Statix, which was about a team of high-profile celebrity super-heroes. One of my all time favorite comics.
His style is really inspired by classic comic artists and has a really retro vibe.
quintismaximus
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Tomie -Junji Ito

Postby Aragah » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:11 pm

old school style dude. cool.

So... I just finished Tomie
3 volume thing by Junji Ito
starts off really weird and unconnected, but finishes really nicely.
Its about this girl named Tomie. She's beautiful, charming, envious and a liar.
All the boys that meet her end up falling in love with her, she rejects them all, and then they all proceed to murder and dismember her.
By the end I really thought Tomie looked gorgeous, not sure if Junji Ito improved his drawing a lot during this or if the story actually got to me.

Ito is kind of a "godfather" of horror manga. not sure if the title stands, but this is definitely worth a read.
Attachments
ktomie_v003_035.jpg
ktomie_v003_035.jpg (487.89 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
gtomie_v003_020.jpg
gtomie_v003_020.jpg (400.63 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
etomie_v002_c003_086.jpg
etomie_v002_c003_086.jpg (215.44 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
ctomie_v001_c003_123.jpg
ctomie_v001_c003_123.jpg (163.81 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
btomie_v003_-_006.jpg
btomie_v003_-_006.jpg (374.64 KiB) Viewed 6087 times
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah

Postby chazillah » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:33 pm

ep character sheets are my morning coffee
i'm not sure exactly what it is about them, maybe the design.
the characters just have a certain feeling that makes me wanna draw a lot

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18224721/December%202014/tumblr_lm6geem6QO1qgkt3y.png

oh and the opening ofc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAXrRWLKzko
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Imbalantus » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:15 am

http://www.nicolasamori.com

And here's another, but unfortunately I don't know who the artist is. If you know the name, please post it.
Attachments
ding-ding-1.jpg
ding-ding-1.jpg (275.87 KiB) Viewed 6073 times
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Aragah » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:11 am

Cha- :D hadnt seen their chara sheets before. pretty sweet. do you have their book or somehting? care to share?

Imbalantus - cool dude. have you tried google reverse image search?

Here is Alice in Chains
My all time favorite band. fell in love with them back in my angsty teenager years.
Their lead singer, Layne Staley died back in 2002 or something. OD on some drug.
the band doesn't have the same punch as before, but their released a couple of solid albums since and are still going on tours.
I got to see them live in 2011, twas pretty awesome.
I particularly recommend the albums "Dirt" and "Jar of Flies"

Nutshell - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_GPxe91hWE

Would? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB_fNVOPzyM

Rooster (MTV unplugged version) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjQ321z681A

Dirt (Album) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JecMnBoYI

Jar of Flies (Album) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcmTIKBuMiA
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah

Postby squasar » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:07 pm

I sincerely have no words that can express how much these 3 pieces of media touched me.
1.jpg
1.jpg (355.71 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

2.jpg
2.jpg (293.58 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

3.jpg
3.jpg (330.22 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

4.jpg
4.jpg (373.22 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

5.jpg
5.jpg (381.31 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

6.jpg
6.jpg (352.82 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

7.jpg
7.jpg (58.02 KiB) Viewed 6038 times

8.jpg
8.jpg (311.06 KiB) Viewed 6038 times
゚✧Sketchbook✧゚

Tumblr
Deviantart
Portfolio
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Luna » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Thank you Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery much! They are Really Really... Really... Really... Super inspiring! o(∩_∩)o ALL OF THEM!
I found I prefer the quiet human world... Real human's world...
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby StressCavity » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Thumbs up for Ergo Proxy and Benjamin Bjorkland.

I don't really read manga, but I heard of this one that apparently had incredible art and humor. Turns out, it's also super mega fanservicey, but holy shit it's the funniest thing I've ever read. It's called Kangoku Gakuen, or Prison School.

Other than that, probably Yoh Yoshinari, for being so good at staying on model in basically any style. Despite being a Japanese animator working in the industry, he can do many Western styles and anything in between really well. Style emulation is something I really respect, especially when he can switch between them on and off, on top of having his own well known style and design sense.

And then there's Mitsuo Iso, who's just killer at capturing the raw energy in action sequences. Like for reals, this dude is a beast.
StressCavity

Postby ArticusB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Woh such a cool idea! This way I get to see even more diff artists :'3c
*Note: I embedded the urls into the images, so click away to visit p-cate!

Seeing P-cate's art makes me like one of the happiest shitface on earth GHH. I just love the way she ?? just does things? Especially her style and way of her coloring! I'm in love with her characters-- the design and everything!

Her art dumps makes me the happiest! My personal art dumps are largely inspired by hers. I want to have the same amount of interesting stuff in mine _(:'3_

Her stuff can get pretty weird-- WHICH MAKES ME LOVE IT EVEN MORE o(-( to sum it up, P-cate is one of my biggest inspirations haha.

Please feed me criticism _(:'3_ SKETCHBOOK | Sycra sketchbook | Twitter | Tumblr | DA
ArticusB
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby ArticusB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:52 pm

I recently looked into El's gallery and I AM JUST IN LOVE! I remember seeing their art here and there and now after seeing more of their art, I'm just fully captivated!!
*Note: Embedded the URLs into the images, clicking will bring you to the original source!

What I love most about El's art is their way of painting (color pallet, strokes, etc )! Generally a way to win my heart is to use "strange" or "abnormal" colors-- basically breaking away from realistic colors just to the point where it's still believable. I also really enjoy their ideas and designs! And their way of drawing bodies is pretty nice too <:'3c

I don't watch adventure time but I really like how they draw Lemongrab haha.
Please feed me criticism _(:'3_ SKETCHBOOK | Sycra sketchbook | Twitter | Tumblr | DA
ArticusB

Postby ArticusB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:18 pm

;W;W; Okay, one more and I'll return to my math assignment //smacked
*Note: I embedded the URL into the images! Click away to visit Jen Zee!

Aside from Jen Zee's great capabilities in anatomy, design, and composition... I really love how she paints and draws ( yes again haha ). In her pieces you can clearly see most of the colors as they're not blended away completely. Some colors are placed with a sharper brush and I had always thought that looked pretty cool. Of course I also like how she uses colors haha. Her semi-realism is kind of my favorite semi-realism !
ArticusB

Postby Hero » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:59 pm

Willy Pogany, an old golden age illustrator.

1352764608-0215498-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg
1352764608-0215498-www.nevsepic.com.ua.jpg (237.78 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
tumblr_namleiosoV1rlaql2o9_1280.jpg
tumblr_namleiosoV1rlaql2o9_1280.jpg (247.88 KiB) Viewed 4876 times
willy-pogany.jpg
willy-pogany.jpg (296.11 KiB) Viewed 4876 times

I'd seen his illustrations before, but came across him again in a great book called "Rendering in Pen and Ink" by Guptill. I really like his compositions; I really like mixture of realism and symbolism.
Hero

Postby Lodratio » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 am

Michael Ende used to be one of my favourite authors as a kid, but I only started to realize how much I love his books when I reread The Neverending Story a few years ago. They seem to be simple children’s stories when you're young, and they work on that level very well, but they also have real depth to them that you become aware of as you get older. If your looking for art-inspirations, most of his books have pretty good illustrations, his writing is very visual and his worlds are filled with all sorts of weird creatures, locations and concepts.

Here's his books in no particular order:
Momo - A little girl goes up against an evil organisation that's out to take her friends away. The theme of this story is time and how, when we try to save as much of it and live as efficiently as possible, we seem to have less and less of it.
Night of Wishes - This one takes place on a Sylvester evening and it's written in such a way that you can read it in real time, which I think is pretty cool. A cat and a raven are trying to stop wizards from polluting the environment. It's a little on the nose but other than that I like it.
The Neverending Story - Explores the nature of fiction and reality by telling the story of a boy reading a book and losing himself in its world. Not sure how to get into more detail on this one without spoiling the fun. If you think you know what it's about because you've seen the movie and have no intention of reading it here's an article that breaks it down pretty well.
Jim Button - A series of children’s books. Yup, that's it. You'll still enjoy them if you're into road trip adventures.
Mirror in the Mirror - A collection of shortstories that are connected with each other in subtle ways. The individual stories are very different in nature, but feature some of the same characters playing different roles, though it's never stated how everything fits together and you have to try and figure things out yourself. I think this i's Endes best book along with The Neverending Story, but it didn't get a lot of recognition because people thought, and still think of him as a children’s book author.
Prison of Freedom - Another shortstory collection. No interconnected structure in this one, but it's still pretty good. I don't think it was translated though.
There's two collections of observations, thoughts and story ideas that Ende wrote down over the course of his life. These weren't translated either, but if you know German they're definitely worth your time, and he also wrote a few plays which I haven't read.

Lodratio
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby caseylarae » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:38 pm

So much inspiring O_____O Gotta draw now!!! You guys may have played Magna Carta or heard of Hyung-Tae Kim, he has a really fascinating aesthetic and way of thinking about the human body. I can honestly say this guy is the reason why I draw characters more than anything else, his work has such a beautiful balance and dynamic quality to it. He talks a bit about his process here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1 ... hp?print=1
Rith_3.jpg
Rith_3.jpg (300.38 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

1239760-16.jpg
1239760-16.jpg (458.95 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

Zephie_2.jpg
Zephie_2.jpg (233.34 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

Hyung-Tae-Kim-Art-8.jpg
Hyung-Tae-Kim-Art-8.jpg (174.17 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

Celestin_Roaa_3.jpg
Celestin_Roaa_3.jpg (194.85 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
caseylarae

Postby Caleb-Brown » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:17 am

I love that hyung tae kim raises the rib cage, lowers the pelvis and extends the obliques! i think it's such a cool dynamic look.
Another body distortion i think is cool is when yoshiyuki sadamoto narrows and raises the pelvis. I'm pretty sure it stems from a sexist over exaggeration of skinny 90's supermodels but despite that i still kind of think it looks cool. Mainly i like that his bodies are very noticeably not human bodies but it doesn't necessarily look wrong. I think that's a key to making art that's better than reality. Also i think it's cool how the rib cage/pelvis part of his gestures are pretty rigid and stiff but his figures still look dynamic. That's something that a lot of people say can't work because that part of the gesture is supposed to be the most critical, and yet...

Last edited by Caleb-Brown on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caleb-Brown
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Caleb-Brown » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:47 am

Alphonse mucha is obviously one of the most popular artists ever but i think his less art nouveau-y stuff is a little overlooked

Caleb-Brown

Postby BluePup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:03 am

This thread reminds me of a quote by Craig Mullins from his talk at Trojan Horse was as Unicorn:
"It is important to balance out exposure to other artists and exposure to the world in general, because art is about both of them. And I find that especially in our world (artists) it tends to be biased towards the incestuous a little too much. So I say, go and get rid of your "art of" books and get rid of you Goodbrush links and go out into the world and don't make art about other art."

So with that thought, in a thread where I see nothing but art, here is some of my inspiration from the real world. Here's 5 people who've lived on this planet at one time or another.

BluePup

Postby BluePup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:13 am

You know, what's great about the real world is that there are such a huge library of shapes that you could be forgiven to think that it's chaotic, and that any impression of design you have is either imposed by the mind's eye, or that the alternative is that it was put there by some higher order and therefore there must be an order to it. But in reality it is a kind of 'bottom up' design, in that each shape something has is because of necessity, that was the most fit for the environment that it was in.

And we can take that cluster of recurring patterns, simplify them down, borrow the useful and omit the useless to create the artwork that we really want to see. I think my take on the quote of Mullins' that I mentioned before is that if we borrow from artists uncritically then we will end up being a bland hodgepodge of an identity with nothing to say.

BluePup

Return to Lunchroom