Animation Study [lag warning]

Can't draw while eating

Animation Study [lag warning]

Postby H.Sung » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:25 pm

This thread is dedicated to analyzing people in motion. It can be a useful resource for sequential gesture drawing, action reference, studying choreography, and acting.
-If a particular gif you are interested in is loading too slow, use the gif scrubber tool mentioned below to open it up in a new window-

*Important- Please Read*
My first post was not a good example, but try to cover one topic of interest extensively. Would also be helpful to break up the gifs to cover a single move or concept.

example: Make gifs of captain falcon's entire moveset, cover all the forms in a specific martial art, cover how a young/old female/male may skip/walk/run*

-Try to include source and any further information about your topic if available.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Index

Page 1
-Camera Work
-Explosions
-Tricking/Bboying
-Music Videos: Beyonce-Single Ladies

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tutorials

Tool 1: gif scrubber - chrome app https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... gcmp?hl=en. Once installed you can right click on any gif and click the gif scrubber option. In a new window it will give you a timeline scrub bar as well as the option to explode the gif into individual frames and an option to export.

mouse controls frame timeline!
Tool 2: Instagiff -desktop app - http://instagiffer.com/. Can load from any downloaded video as well as youtube (and any other popular video sites). It also has the option to screen capture. One of the EASIEST ways to create gifs with a lot of quality controls.

1. load a video or enter youtube url
2. under frame ->view image in explorer - you can find a saved jpg sequence.
3.can change frame rate with smoothness as well as frame size, once you have all the settings correct just hit create gif.
*if you are getting warning messages, you may have to open image in explorer and delete the first frame so that there are no gaps in the naming sequence.
instagiffer.jpg
instagiffer.jpg (93.07 KiB) Viewed 16476 times

Indesign: useful for image layout so you can study the jpg sequences laid out in a grid format.

indesigntutorial.jpg
indesigntutorial.jpg (385.42 KiB) Viewed 16476 times

-Once you have created a gif, the best website to upload it to is imgur, since they convert it to a faster and more accessible mp4 format with gif like features of autoplay and repeat. http://imgur.com/blog/2014/10/09/introducing-gifv/.

-finally you can copy the bbcode provided by imgur on the right side and embed it into your permanoobs post.

-It would be helpful to also post a grid of all the individual jpgs for study, but if not, others can now use the gif scrubber tool to study the still frames of the gif you just made.

Examples

anime:

(click on image for larger version) bbcode for clickable image resize can be found here: http://www.bbcode.org/examples/?id=10

Fighting Game Sprites

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

click on image for larger version!

The Professor ~ ball handles
Last edited by H.Sung on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:43 am, edited 13 times in total.
H.Sung
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Re: Animation Study [lag warning]

Postby H.Sung » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Bonus
for those of you who keep asking what software people are using to animate, it really doesn't matter.
But here is something quick if you already have photoshop: https://vimeo.com/96689934.

Reference sites
fighting game sprites: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/main.htm
tricking library: http://www.club540.com/tricktionary, should learn the name of moves and their setup/mechanics if you want to use them in animation (extra points if you can actually perform the action). Instead of just referring to moves as "that spinny flip" would be helpful to know that Madara did "one cycle of a windmill" into a "touchdown raiz".
BBoying footage: http://www.bboyworld.com/forum/forumdis ... GE-SECTION
Last edited by H.Sung on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H.Sung

Postby StressCavity » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:57 am

Wooo, I've been waiting for a thread like this to pop up. I don't have InDesign so it's kind of a pain to do the grid thing, although I'll try to figure out something useful as I post in here more. Might as well start by categorizations :p

Camera Work:

Camera tracking is incredibly smooth. My idea for the process is that they made a base for the environment in 3D, did key frames in the 3D environment to keep camera panning correct, and then inbetweened from there. I assume they didn't use the 3D as a reference for every frame because the shape of the buildings distort as it pans around. Incredibly interesting usage of character centering, using the environment to portray speed more than the object moving across the scene.

You can actually see the perspective grid used here. Probably tvPaint? I think that had that feature built in with auto scaling.

Despite the rough linework, camera work is pretty solid. Most likely no 3D was used. Effects are pretty cool too.

Effects:

Really cool Antares rocket explosion footage. Slow burning fuel explosion, the most cinematic and in my opinion the coolest looking. Very fluid growth and development.

JDAM bombs, military level explosives with a much faster explosion rate. More dust and debris than fuel clouds or fire balls, but still pretty gnarly. The difference in growth compared to slow explosions is pretty interesting; The fuel vapor consumption and heat from fuel explosions causes it to modulate inwardly and up until the heat source dies away, while explosives have a more straight forward growth from the pressure wave and debris weight.

Slowest type of fuel explosions, small liquid fuel explosions (gasoline, napalm, alcohol) produce very interesting explosive patterns. They spread faster then they burn (initially), and move faster horizontally than vertically on impact.

Animation Programs:
To build off what H.Sung said, software still doesn't really matter (unless you're in a production pipeline). I'll list a few others too though.

Easytoon - it's free, and incredibly easy to run. Has most utilities you'd need in rudimentary animation, but definitely not something you'd produce final work in. Only black and white, no layers, binary brush, etc. Makes pictures move though! And did I already mention it's free?

Adobe Flash - I use this, and I also hate it. Vector brushes, lots of modularity, basic 3D tools (although I can't comment on them), and good layer management generally. The vector brush part kills it for me though; despite getting used to drawing in a single stroke, it still feels like shit, and doesn't register marks when you do it rapidly + start at the same point. Can't wait to switch, but it's pretty cheap for professional software. <$400, and $200ish for students.

ToonBoom - Basically flash but done by a different company. Vector based, and similar tools. Different UI though, and many people prefer it over flash for some reason. I haven't used it, but I don't really want to try any more vector software. Very wide range in price, between $250-$1200.

tvPaint - Bitmap based brushes, so more like photoshop's brush tool. Same features as flash, but configured more towards what a traditional animator would be used to, but with a more modern design. Lightbox instead of onion skinning, exposure sheets, etc. Really expensive though, $1500, and $600 for students. They offer a free trial with full feature access, but you can't save.

Hopefully other people pitch in and get more interested, animation is like drawing, but in the dimension of ☆TIME☆. Oooooooo~~~, doesn't that make it sound cool? Everyone should totally start animating, good drawing practice too :P
StressCavity
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Luna » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:10 am

H.Sung Thank you for all those Innnnspiring sheets sharing with that gif scrubber!!! ●▽●
I love them! And extremely Suuuper Love and <33333333333 for all H.Sung's describtion examples! <3333333333 I found I am speechless right now.... Just Love them..... Love them a LOT....
Thank you! x
StressCavity o(≧v≦)o Loooove those animations! I now can see in that animation also using the perspective grid! It's really Good to know ... so much! I..... <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 ..... Because language can not describe my excited feeling right now... So I just want to say "......"
<3
-----------------------
I am one of you, I love them too much, I will find out something good tutorial in the next few days and edit this as well!!!
<333333 o(∩_∩)o
.*★*.
.*★ *.*    ★
★      *
★ .’
‘*.    .
` . .
I じò ぴé This Thread!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit:
One of My Present was an Old ANIMATION DVD "Lotte Reiniger The Fairy Tale" from S Mum! @v@~ I started to watch them 2 nights ago. And I found I love them and inspired by them a lot too!
Also found them easy to find online as well! Here is one of a Youtube link: (You can search the keywords "Lotte Reiniger The Fairy Tale" )

Last edited by Luna on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby H.Sung » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:11 pm

Here is a more proper way of how I am going to organize my posts from now on.

Let me know if lag gets really bad. I'm trying to optimize these, but a few from the introduction are really heavy. I think individual gif lag is manageable but if its slowing down the entire page/browser that will be a problem.

some tunes to listen to while browsing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-x3ojO ... 63&index=8
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tricking
"Martial Arts Tricking, also known as Tricking, is the formal name of a type of Martial Arts that includes a lot of acrobatics. It derived from martial arts forms (Kata, Taolu and more) such as Karate, Capoeira, Wushu, Tae Kwon Do, kalarippayattu incorporating techniques found in gymnastics, break dancing, and similar disciplines"

Required reading if you want to understand setup and how to combo
http://www.club540.com/forum/tricking-d ... on-writeup
learn the setups ex. butterfly setup, cheat setup and stay consistent with orientation (counterclockwise , clockwise)

[life]<action> tricking-360 front kick
[life]<action> tricking-tornado kick
[life]<action> tricking-540 kick
[life]<action> tricking-feilong
[life]<action> tricking-narabong
[life]<action> tricking-raiz
[life]<action> tricking-touchdown raiz
[life]<action> tricking-butterfly kick
[life]<action> tricking-butterfly twist
[life]<action> tricking-corkscrew
[life]<action> tricking-envergado
[life]<action> tricking-crowd awakener level 1
[life]<action>tricking-x-out
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
combo sample
Tobias Hemanos
[life]<action>tricking-Hermanos1
[life]<action>tricking-Hermanos2
Rasmus Ott
[life]<action>tricking-Rasmus1
[life]<action>tricking-Rasmus2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Application in animations, source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPqXX51tW7Y
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-Btwist
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-Envergado
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-Btwist-cork
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-gainer
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-windmill
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-windmill+raiz
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-roundoffxout
*will continue to update this post with all things related to tricking*
Last edited by H.Sung on Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
H.Sung

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:08 pm

this is cool, not sure if this relates. But it is a site for animators, I use it for simple figure ref though.

http://referencereference.com/index.html
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby H.Sung » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Thanks Joel,
that is basically the idea that I'm going for in this thread but with more accessible frame-by-frame control thanks to gifscrubber. I want this to be a library that people can go to in order to brainstorm ideas and get inspiration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BBoying
"B-boying or breaking, also called breakdancing, is a style of street dance that originated among African American and Puerto Rican youths in New York City during the early 1980s.[1] The dance spread worldwide due to popularity in the media, especially in regions such as the United Kingdom, Canada, Japan, Germany, France, Russia and South Korea. While diverse in the amount of variation available in the dance, b-boying consists of four kinds of movement: toprock, downrock, power moves, and freezes. B-boying is typically danced to hip-hop, funk music, and especially breakbeats, although modern trends allow for much wider varieties of music along certain ranges of tempo and beat patterns."

Music!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFkTNU3Q2bE
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Toprock
Downrock
Powermoves
[life]<action> bboying-windmill
[life]<action> bboying-nutcracker
[life]<action> bboying-barrelmills
[life]<action> bboying-munchmills
[life]<action> bboying-gremlinspin
[life]<action> bboying-flares
[life]<action> bboying-airflares
[life]<action> bboying-elbowairflares
[life]<action> bboying-elbowhops
[life]<action> bboying-headspin
[life]<action> bboying-1990
[life]<action> bboying-2000
[life]<action> bboying-TaisukeCriticals
Flow+Combos
[life]<action>Physicx-1
[life]<action>Physicx-2
[life]<emotion> introduction
[life]<action> 2011BCONE-1
[life]<action> 2011BCONE-2
[life]<action> 2011BCONE-3
[life]<action> 2011BCONE-4
[life]<action> 2011BCONE-5
animation
[anim]<action> Korra-2000s
[anim]<action> SamuraiChamploo-windmills
[anim]<action> NarutoShippuden-windmill-tdraiz
[anim]<action>tricking-Korra-flare
H.Sung

Postby H.Sung » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 am

Double posting for a good cause
Song! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m1EFMoRFvY
Music Video Beyonce-Single Ladies

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
H.Sung

Postby Luna » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 pm

I found every time when I open this thread is a little difficult and slow to be on, meow~
Btw, just saw a video from a TW FB Artist friend. It's a Stop Motion! For Happy new year~ :P
Here is a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe5vYv_yrrE
Attachments
Toy Story stop motion - Happy New Year 2015.jpg
Toy Story stop motion - Happy New Year 2015.jpg (412.14 KiB) Viewed 16314 times
Luna

Postby Luna » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 am

I found there is a Link of animatic tutorial Very helpful for me! @v@~
Share This link here:
http://www.56.com/u73/v_NzI3ODMwMTQ.html
Attachments
KBanimatictutorial.jpg
KBanimatictutorial.jpg (183.57 KiB) Viewed 16245 times
Luna

Postby DoopyDell » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:44 am

This is so amazingly wonderful! Who knew such amazing people as all of you lived here on the internet! *u* This is great.
NEW THINGS TO STUDY WITH.
*Edit*
This is probably a more appropriate post. I'll contribute something! not sure how many of you guys have tumblr, but still it may be useful.
http://gutsanduppercuts.tumblr.com/ This tumblr is really nice and has tons of fighting moves specifically instead of tricking. It's a good mix of different styles and most of them are tagged well! Hopefully this could help somebody.

***EDITEDITEDIT***
While not exactly the most practical way to perform in fights, but still not as flashy as b-boying, the Martial Arts find their place snugly in between. Some claim that understanding of the martial arts is paramount when dealing with live fighting scenarios, while others only take it for its artistic and aesthetic points. Whichever way you choose to view the martial arts, there's no denying that they are beautiful and for good reason! Here's some gifs and examples on martial arts and the thousands of years and generations that have perfected them. Note that these have been choreographed and exaggerated for film use! Also sorry most of them are super small because they're tumblr gifs.
Wing Chun
Hung Gar
Last edited by DoopyDell on Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DoopyDell
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Luna » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:27 pm

AnimateMonkey Has given us a little ears: @v@ Just want to put it here in case I forget it later~
Luna

Postby H.Sung » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:59 pm

Hey guys, thanks for your contribution.
I'm enjoying everything you are posting so far and I hope its helpful for others.

^^ name of show for last gif is called "yozakura_quartet": http://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=yozakura_quartet+^^

good animation search engine: http://sakuga.yshi.org/

I asked for forum spoiler tags to help with lag, I'm going to refrain from posting more gifs until we can figure out a good way to manage this thread.
H.Sung

Postby Luna » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:31 pm

H.Sung wrote:Hey guys, thanks for your contribution.
I'm enjoying everything you are posting so far and I hope its helpful for others.

^^ name of show for last gif is called "yozakura_quartet": http://sakuga.yshi.org/post?tags=yozakura_quartet+^^

good animation search engine: http://sakuga.yshi.org/

I asked for forum spoiler tags to help with lag, I'm going to refrain from posting more gifs until we can figure out a good way to manage this thread.

HOHO~~ ^_^ Thank you for Start this amazing topic of animation! <3
I just absolutely love to studying them! xxx @v@
Luna

Postby fiftyeightsqq » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:41 am

I'm surprised to find this thread, did not look in Lunchroom for a long time.
Lot's of lag, I wish there was hide image and click to expand/load.
I like animation but it seems to pretty niche with few animators.
I will share old and recent stuff I have figured or learned on animation as an amateur.

I'm very curious on thoughts and processes of other animators animate, so if you'd like, I would be happy to learn.
Otherwise, I can answer questions and clarify anything that I have said, first part of disclaimer always though.

I can at least link to these nice videos and searching "sakuga" or "sakuga mad" on youtube has nice results too.

EDIT: Everything too long so it goes into pastebin. If found helpful, feel free to give the links away.
fiftyeightsqq
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Luna » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:38 am

HOHO! 0v0/58--> ^3^ <3 0v0//
AND:
Luna

Postby Luna » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:41 am

I found an artist's brilliant website of many short but very professional animations by accident few days ago!
Here is the link:

http://anitagaughan.tumblr.com/

like...... wow~~ meow~~ this --> ●▽●
Luna

Return to Lunchroom