Is this community death or WHAT!?

Can't draw while eating

Is this community death or WHAT!?

Postby Zearthus » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:19 am

The more and more, I see myself asking this question on a weekly basis. There is no discussions going on, no one look in any other sections, aside from lets just dump my things in my sketchbook and be done with it logs out. WHERE THE hell is the community at? We might as well just give everyone a rock to live under, since that's how it feels.

Sorry for the language, but I'm kind of getting irritated the way this community is going, and always has been for some time now.... Either is time for me to just mitigate to another forum, or bring life back in the community, which the latter almost seems impossible to do, especially when peoples aren't really coming together as a community.

Am I just spouting nonsense, or you feel the same thing?

(Putting this in both Lunchroom/Questions helps & Explanation, in hopes to get some sort of discussion going on. Since there is only a handful that actually bothers to check elsewhere)
Zearthus
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Re: Is this community death or WHAT!?

Postby sushy » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:30 am

Good points. The forums seem quite dead sometimes. Unfortunately it seems the case with other forums as well. I used to post a lot on ConceptArt forums but there is hardly any more activity there too.. Or at least not as much as it used to be.
I think we can make it (there or here, any forums of your choice actually) more active by posting more on it, more like, if you want it to become active, start posting more. That is one of the reasons I am responding here now actually :D
I would love to see an active art community again.
sushy
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Raskolnikov » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:48 pm

I guess the moderators should make activities or competitions that may encourage others to work or even to discuss artistic topics. I really hope things would change around here, I was intending to join ConceptArt but I saw that it has changed a lot than it used to be before 2010. And now, it feels like artists have nowhere to go but only to bury themselves with their work alone.
There should be a radical change, and perhaps this forum can be the only hope for it, especially for its little amount of members.
Raskolnikov
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Sophie_Draws » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:02 am

I’ve been trying to comment a lot more lately, the whole point of these forums is to communicate with each other and give advice after all and I’ve definitely been guilty of posting and logging off in the past. I think once the boot camp starts up again that will probably be quite active as a lot of people seemed to enjoy it.
Sophie_Draws
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby sushy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:58 am

I too have been guilty of logging off XD
I think the community is made by the people. We're not really dependant on the moderators and admins (unless some serious things happen, or the forum becomes full of spam). If we all start to make more posts, it should get more active. People will notice they get more responses here and might stay here (longer). Maybe it is an idea to make at least one post every day? Just a post responding to another thread, that is not your own work. And of course keep updating your own work as well. I think that could bring some activity to the forums.
sushy

Postby Raskolnikov » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:26 am

Yes, that's true. And even if there was a bit more of a good design and open options on the forums as it is in Conceptart. That would make the members more comfortable to spend more time in here than any other place.
Raskolnikov
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Hai » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:24 pm

i agree, that people should spend more time commenting.

but even if it stays how it is, the way we can have a rather casual forum is good too. i like to check out other sketchbooks, but dont always comment.
and you can always ask questions to people and start discussions if you face any problems and they will happily respond back.

so people are rather lurking, but they are still "here" when things go on with discussions.
Hai
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Siji » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:47 pm

Hey,

I suppose its all about commenting in other people's SB with a real interest, not just a " yay good ", having some real conversation, then it should translate in other areas of the forum maybe...

I try to be more active in this forum also as I have never found an active community online, and I'd enjoy finding one :D

Lets make it alive guys and gals!
Siji
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Ruthan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:16 am

The problem is that this is a small community with not big amount of very kick-ass artists, (but hopefully we will be) that could comment everybody with constructive criticism. When I go to someone's sketchbook and I want to comment it I wouldn't be able to say anything more than "Nice work! Keep it up!" because I'm not experienced enough and I don't see any mistakes because of that. I think I'm not alone in this.

And imo, there should be bigger section to talk about non-art related stuff, such as games, movies, other hobbies etc. I think we would integrate a bit more with topics that don't need any deeper knowledge and many people would be less shy when talking about stuff that doesn't require as much effort as art critique. Not everybody has time and erudition to do that. Chit chatting would be nice and could bring some life into this forum.
Ruthan
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Lodratio » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:32 am

A chatbox would definitely be a nice addition. There's a lot of stuff that feels too small and unimportant to make a thread about it, and I think it would give people a better platform for planning and talking about board activities or meeting up for streams.
Lodratio
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Zearthus » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:49 am

@Lodratio
Certainly a shoutbox might do it, not too sure when that would be implemented though. Like for example, on crimsondagger, the main admin is a developer so he can more easily make some changes, not too sure how would that be for this forum. Especially when there is only one admin as far as I know.

@Ruthan
That's indeed true, but I guess another part of it is, how many art hobbyist, and how many are aiming towards a specific area. I think even if you're an artist/not one, you can still give critique, or give someone an overall view of what you feel for a particular piece.
Zearthus
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Cruptic » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:59 am

How about a skype group?
I'm trying to use all the time in my day to create and learn and practice.. reading on forums takes a lot of time imo and to really give good feedback can take half an hour to an hour of the day.. but to have at least some communication for now it might be an option... ?

I.e. I'm online in skype all day long and sitting in front of my computer all day long sooo.. if there are some people writing in the group might as well keep it up on the side and write something here and there, too.

Feel like that would be more 'in-your-face-community-activity-someone-is-here-let's-write-together' than a thread..
The next best thing to a chatbox maybe.. :) i dont know :D
Cruptic

Postby Ruthan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:21 am

@Cruptic

That would be really cool to have something like that. My english isn't very good when I'm talking, so I wouldn't be in the center of discussion, but participating in it would be nice. I'm all for it! ;)
Ruthan

Postby BluePup » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:10 am

It seems like this community is full of people who want to work, and want to learn. Naturally, that doesn't lead to very many sociable people.

I think a great way that people could encourage cross-sketchbook discussion at least, is not to put up your own sketchbook to learn and other sketchbooks to comment, but remembering that you can use somebody else's sketchbook to learn for yourself as well.

Say you're great with lighting, but terrible with form, but you've noticed that someone else is just the opposite - they've absolutely nailed their form, and you can't help but think, 'wow.. how can I do that?' and so, you ask! Sketchbooks of other people are as much of a place to discuss fundamentals as the critique subforum or the art questions area. Because every sketchbook is a journal, every post can be a prompt for an in-depth discussion for some subject, or some technique.

You can even ask someone about the excercises they're doing, and in all likelyhood they'll be happy to tell you, because you've done them the service of bumping their thread.

I thought, perhaps falsely, that superpros were necessary to drive a community for learning, but honestly if several people get together and plug each other's weaknesses it wouldn't be too much time until the group as a whole improves. And that attitude would probably encourage the egalitarian learning circles that we want on this forum.
BluePup
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Henri » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:58 pm

I know your frustration. I don't think we should be put out with users that simply upload and leave. I do this a lot. I enjoy doing it. I try to write a bit about what ever I'm doing and I don't censor myself I like to post stuff I think is shit with the stuff I post that I am mildly proud of.

I like permanoobs because it isn't hard on the eyes, is very simple and easy to use, and has a ton of artists that are actually doing the work.

I do think a simple set of guidelines would do wonders though.

each post should have at least 10 images
at least 150 words or so on the work provided (stating how you feel about the work, what you're hoping to accomplish, what you like to listen to while ya work)
any reference used or a side by side of the original if a more involved study is being done
A standard resolution or template for uploads.

I don't think its anyone's obligation to critique or comment. I do hate uploading and then getting absolutely no feed back. I will sometimes browse the sketchbook section and comment randomly but I try to visit every book that pops up in mine.

I think it is important to not lose sight of the fact that traffic or no traffic we all have a place to collect our raw attempts at anything art related without the harsh criticism or judgement of people in our personal lives. A personal online journal we can access from almost anywhere. We can see how many people take a peak and connect with who ever is willing to reach out.

I too used to think a big man on campus type was needed to lead or organize anything but honestly I think anyone who cares about painting on here is just as valuable.

It sucks when there are no harsh crits happening sometimes but hey everything is just like our opinion man ;D just cause someone thinks they hold the one true art doesn't mean they're right and they're often the first jerk to leave behind a harsh crit.

Its easy to forget that we are just painting or drawing and if something is messed up its usually because you didn't draw a straight line or a circle well.
Henri
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby sixeh » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:41 am

this forum will die one day, and the stars will go out too.

but that's not your point i think.

idk, how does one cultivate human interaction among artists?
i'm sure if we kidnapped a couple dozen art gods and forced them to utilize this forum to the utmost degree,
it may lure some kids to this forum and increase the general traffic?
sixeh

Return to Lunchroom