Windows 10 - Who has it? What is it like?

Can't draw while eating

Windows 10 - Who has it? What is it like?

Postby dead_parts » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Hey Permanoobers,

So, the release day of Windows 10 has arrived and gone and I'm looking to see if anyone has it.

So far, my PC hasn't updated (UK based.) Anyone managed to get it updated correctly?

How is it running with Photoshop / Zbrush etc?

Best,

dead_parts
dead_parts
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Windows 10 - Who has it? What is it like?

Postby Don » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Hey i had some bad issues with the windows 10 preview that made PSCC unusable, also i noticed a small performance decrease. i. I'm going to try installing the final now that it is out and ill give you a heads up.

-On i5 Surface pro 3 with 8gb or ram btw..
Don
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Lodratio » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:39 am

Agreed with Don. Microsoft is still fiddling around with windows 10 and there's no telling what problems might come up along the way. At best you'll get a stable operating system and there won't be any problems, but you already have that so why take the risk?
Last edited by Lodratio on Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lodratio
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Vielmond » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:19 am

Windows is already prompting me to update, but I won't so soon. My rule of thumb is waiting 6 months at least. Microsoft has a long history of introducing bugs in updates, and seeing various people suffering with this extremely informative failure during the setup already isn't helping to make me any more trusting:

Vielmond
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Zearthus » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:52 pm

After updating my laptop to windows 10 myself, I can say there are some glitches here and there, but overall its a good experience. Can't say what will happen in coming weeks, but I do dig the new features of windows 10.
Zearthus
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby dead_parts » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Hey all,

I'm normally a "wait 6 months" kind of man myself. But the goddam thing kept sitting there on my desktop waiting to be updated so I had to. So far, it's been awesome. Very smooth and the upgrade process went through in no time, without a hitch.

I updated from Windows 7. So far, Photoshop, Zbrush and After Effects all seem good. There are a few tiny things I hope get patched (customising start menu tiles / smoothing out the aero snap feature when using multiple screens.) but so far, it's been a positive experience. No regrets. Glad Windows is back to good form.
dead_parts
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Sophie_Draws » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:49 am

I'm glad to hear that you guys have had a good experience with it so far! I've been putting off updating just in case it didn't work out well so I may give it a go this weekend.
Sophie_Draws
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Vielmond » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:17 am

I wasn't paying attention to the Windows 10 hype until now, just occasionally stumbled upon a post here or there talking about it, but today I stumbled upon some pretty interesting details about their updated EULA—and unless they do some changes I won't be updating to Windows 10 now neither in a year or two.

The major off-putting change: Windows 10 has mandatory Automatic Updates. You can no longer manually pick only the updates you wish to download. They'll update silently and you can do nothing about it. Yikes. How many deathly freezes will take to Microsoft rethink this? (source)

Another change I believe will be pretty unpopular with many users: Windows 10 can disable third party software and hardware they deem illegal. I have some issues with Microsoft interfering with non-Microsoft software, and I don't like the "hardware" part at all, since it's particularly vague in the new EULA. I don't quite trust Microsoft to accurately assert what is legal or illegal—we all know they're not the sharpest knife in the drawer—and I fear we'll see complaints about it disabling legit apps in the near future. (source)
Vielmond
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby caseylarae » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:01 pm

Interesting, I hadn't heard about the mandatory automatic updates and possible disabling of software. Looking into it though, the part about disabling software seems more like a precautionary statement than something that is worthwhile to act on. What does Microsoft gain by going after third party apps that present no liability issues or financial loss? It's more likely that this is in reference to Microsoft games in particular (they have no reason to care if you pirate other companies' games), and most software companies tend to do anything in their power to prevent you from pirating their products. It's not anything unusual in that regard.

As far as the updates, there is nothing in the EULA that says your computer will update automatically. It says that the computer will automatically download updates, but not install them. Windows 8 already does this, it's not much of a change. Windows 8 also came with automatic updates and automatic restarts and there is a workaround that prevents them, so I'm sure there's going to be something similar for Windows 10.
caseylarae
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Schwanzus Longus » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:41 pm

For me it works really good most of the time, but when I installed it I wasn't able to use the Internet Explorer because my PC stalled sometimes so I'm using Firefox now. And there were some other problems but it seems like they have fixed enarly all of them. So I think you can get it, it's improving fast :)
Schwanzus Longus
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Return to Lunchroom