Comparing your old art and new art

Can't draw while eating

Comparing your old art and new art

Postby TakemaKei » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:10 am

I made the same topic at deviantart forum. Just thinking maybe I get some more opinions here. (or not)

I just looked at some of my old art, and I compared them with the ones I do recently. I thought that I gained something and lost something else. Like I may gain some techniques or something, but I lost a certain charm that I had before.

Of course this happens in every aspect of life but how do you feel if this happens to your artistic journey? I am having mixed feelings about it as I write. Feels like now I focus more on being correct / practical than being creative.

What are your thoughts on this?
TakemaKei
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Comparing your old art and new art

Postby Tobes » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:38 am

Hey TakemaKei. I definitely see my old drawing in that light too. Actually I've been thinking about this kind of thing for a while, A few weeks ago I destroyed all my old sketchbooks and scraps of old paper. I noticed that alot of my old drawing, stuff that wasn't clearly trying to learn a style (like anime) those drawing where I was clearly just influenced by my own perceptions of the world, those drawings have stuff I can see has alot of charm to them, as you say. They dont look wrong, or like a "fail" as those anime drawings clearly do. I see those anime heads in alot of peoples sketchbooks and its insane how proud I was of those shitty things. Having looked back though at my old stuff, it was those other drawings which were from my own way of wanting to draw at that point in time, which look like some true expression of who I was. I just have fewer of them.
I definitely think older works show more of the individuals drawing style showing through. Maybe we all loose some true originality in ourselves
(or forget) when we refine and study our craft at a later state.
Tobes
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Re: Comparing your old art and new art

Postby Enydimon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:18 pm

I should probably keep on top of this section of the forum more often!

The longer you step away from it, the harder it'll be. Ultimately creativity is a skill we have as well and it needs to be exercised like anything else.

This is one of the reasons why I think it's important to practise doing creative things and working from imagination while you're studying. You eventually have to fit all those puzzle pieces together anyhow and people tend to improve rapidly if they are given something to immediately apply their studies to. It also makes it easier to keep grinding away if you're continually able to remind yourself why you're doing all this.

I'm not sure it's something we truly forget, it's just that if you don't practise something for a while then you'll understandably get rusty at it. Just like how if you step away from anatomy and focus on colour theory or inorganic things, by the time you try to draw a person again you'll probably have to give yourself more time to warm up to it again before you feel 100% comfortable. And then also keep in mind that your tastes and how you view things have changed by then, so things you wouldn't have notice initially are just going to be blaring at you.

On a slightly more controversial and personal level, I don't think it's 100% necessary to grind out art progress by only doing studies or doing it for obscene hours on a daily basis. You could still progress tremendously by doing a lot of creative work and having your studies supplement that. I also think that you get to a point where studies are just easy to do and end up being a way for people to avoid doing anything more challenging. Although I will say that it's all very personal and situational on how you want to pursue all of that and to just find something that works for you and is efficient in doing so. For instance someone could be at the very beginning stages and everything already feels so awkward that it's just something they have to push through before they can more comfortably be creative with their work like they used to be.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Return to Lunchroom