BOOTCAMP 1: Perspective Basics

Official permanoobs bootcamps!

BOOTCAMP 1: Perspective Basics

Postby chazillah » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:23 am

WEEK 1: PERSPECTIVE & LENS BASICS

▬ ASSIGNMENT: 85 perspective drawings! (+85 points) (+15 bonus if on time!)

1. Find 5 photo examples of a wide angle lenses and telephoto lenses being used. Sketch them! You can check focal length on flickr easily!
    2. Draw 20 cubes with different sets of vanishing points; experiment with distortion and flat perspective.
    3. Rotate 20 cubes on a grid. Draw ellipses inside of them them.
    4. Draw 20 objects from life. Locate your own eye level (horizon line) before drawing them.
    5. Draw your workspace.
    6. Draw 10 studies of architectural/interior photos.
    7. Draw 10 sketches using perspective from imagination, showing the horizon line, center of vision, and vanishing points. Experiment with one point perspective, two point perspective, and three point perspective.

Assignment Due Date: Sunday, February 1st

LEARNING MATERIAL

▬ 1: MEASURING

LEARN TO SEE WHAT’S REALLY THERE. Before any artist proceeds with perspective, structure, light, composition, etc., it is an asset to know how to measure, have patience, and draw with accuracy. Copying accurately is essential to undoing the ‘lazy eye’ that interprets the mouth as flat line with curves, or the sun as a circle with spikes. We must learn to see what is actually there, and not rely on our engrained imagery and symbolism of the world around us.

(i.e, An artist can understand and know that the eyeball is a sphere and that the iris is a perfect circle, but if the artist cannot see or measure such a thing in a simple drawing, nor observe how it changes in context to the perspective (especially when the said circle is turning into an ellipse at different angles), the knowledge isn’t being put to proper use!)

AND BE PATIENT. This is necessary for thorough learning; the artist who rushes through exercises or gets too lazy to put in the effort to see and understand will improve much slower than the meticulous artist who takes their time to see, think, and understand. Both knowledge and repetition are essential to practice. Whether it be any successful artist, musician, athlete, writer, etc.---the underlying principle will remain the same.

Extra exercise: Measuring and copying horizontals, verticals, and diagonals

The following exercise may seem trivial, but should provide an essential and valuable habit when copying reference or trying to understand how foreshortening and perspective work. You may print off the blank version and copy the PDF exercise onto it!

[Measuring exercise download]
[Blank sheet]

Extra assignment 2: Copy this image upside-down, don't turn the paper until you're finished.

[Exercise 2]

▬ 2. LENSES & FOCAL LENGTH:

Since artists, especially those who study from the convenience of their home, use photo reference to learn, it’s valuable to understand focal length in order to understand what you are seeing and why it is the way it appears! Focal length determines how much perspective we get in a picture and distorts reality.

Eventually this can be applied to illustration as well and give your pieces very dramatic effects (wide angle lens) or calming / zoomed in effects (telephoto).

WIDE ANGLE LENS (35mm – 1mm) – The lens in this camera is very wide, meaning it can encompass a lot of information in one image. It can also be known as a ‘fish eye lens’. This heavily distorts the perspective. A lot of references on deviantArt use this camera type, as it overdramatizes the pose and perspective. (If you already understand perspective, the vanishing points would be closer together, perhaps even within the page itself)

TELEPHOTO LENS (70 mm to 1700mm)– ‘Tele’, meaning far, is extremely zoomed in and takes in much less information. Perspective can appear nearly flat, and objects in the distance will appear closer than they really are. Photographers during athletic events often use this type of camera, which is why foreshortening may appear very flat or lifeless. (If you already understand perspective, the vanishing points would be placed quite far apart from one another, definitely off the page!)

HUMAN VISION – Normal human vision is close to a 50mm camera lens: the perspective won’t be overdramatized, nor does it appear flat. This is used in portrait photography to minimize distortion.

▬ 4. BASIC PERSPECTIVE
For more thorough instruction, refer to any of the following books on perspective. The following hardly covers the basics!

Everything you draw is in "perspective". Everything you draw in perspective will either have a lot of distortion (wide angle) or very little (telephoto).
To start, you should be able to locate the:

1. HORIZON LINE (also known as the eye level) - Imagine you're about to snap a photo. Think about where your eye level is (represented by a horizontal line) when you're taking the photo. That is the horizon. Everything shrinks as it recedes to the horizon, and therefore objects further away appear smaller.

2. CENTER OF VISION (where the person is standing) - Same analogy, now just imagine yourself as a vertical. Where are you standing in relation to the photo you're about to take?

CONE OF VISION:The cone of vision represents how much information we get in a picture. Think of a lens and how much of the picture it can take in, as we discussed above. The human cone of vision is 60 degrees, which is similar to a 50mm camera. The larger the cone of vision is, the more distortion we will get (similar to a wide-angle lens). The smaller the cone of vision, the more like it flatten out the perspective and simulate the effect of a telephoto lens. Therefore, if you want to avoid distortion in your drawings, it's a good idea to stay in the 60 degree cone of vision (or at least keep your vanishing points further away from one another!)

VANISHING POINTS: All parallel lines recede to something called a 'vanishing point' on the horizon. The closer two vanishing points are, especially if they are in the 'frame' of the image, the more distortion we will get (wide angle lens!). If the vanishing points are very distant from one another, we will flatten the perspective and get a telephoto lens effect!

One point perspective is when you have one vanishing point at the center of vision. The horizontals stay horizontal, and the verticals stay vertical!
    [1-point example]

Two point perspective is when the ground plane or objects are rotated to the center of vision. The verticals still stay vertical. Observe what happens when you move the vanishing points closer together and further apart! You'll see the effects of wide-angle lenses and telephoto lenses.
    [2-point example]

Three point perspective: When the camera man isn’t parallel to the ground; think of yourself looking up or down. The verticals will now converge to a point either above (looking up) or below (looking down). Note that the convergence takes place on the center of vision (where the person is standing!)
    [3-point example]

ELLIPSES: These are simply circles in perspective. They get ‘squished’ as they recede to the horizon. If you don’t know how to draw an ellipse, you can refer to the following video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Cf_pUJSQeM

▬ 4. EXTRA TOPICS & HELP
But how do I get new vanishing points for rotated objects?
Simply make sure that your new vanishing points are the same distance apart as your first set!

[See an example here!]

How can I find a cone of vision?
This is a little more complicated and you have to imagine your grid/picture plane as seeing it from above and in front!

1. Create a horizon line and center of vision
2. Locate how far away the person is standing from the scene (this is called a station point)
3. Open the 'info' bar in photoshop (window -> info) and drag your line tool from the station point 30 degrees from the center of vision to the right, and repeat the same on the left!
4. Create a circle by going to the intersection of the horizon line and center of vision, hold down shift+alt, and drag until it touches the intersection of the diagonals you created with the horizon line! (you can just use the shape tool set to "path", or the circle marquee tool and fill it by going to select->modify->border)

[See example here]

How can I get vanishing points off my canvas in photoshop without making my canvas massive?
Drag your rulers where you want them to be (view->rulers), make an intersection where you want the line tool to 'snap' to, and make sure your 'snap' (view->snap) is on! Now you can drag your line tool accurately from that intersection.

Extra topics:
These are recommended topics for you to look at, most of which can be found in How to Draw by Scott Robertson. Other books will help too, though!
- Station point
- Measuring in perspective
- Reflecting/projecting in perspective
- Curves in perspective
- Placing shapes on a sloped surface
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

ASSIGNMENTS - WEEK 1: Perspective & Lens Basics

Postby Thewalkingbar » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:12 pm

Were we supposed to draw on paper of digitally?
Since no one has posted yet I feel like I'm doing something wrong.
Anyways the 2 perspective drawings are so bad that I'm not gonna count them at all. There's a few more, but they're very plain.
Cubes on the way.

Ughhhh so bad. But I think I'm starting to understand aerial perspective.
stof.jpg
stof.jpg (102.87 KiB) Viewed 15197 times
stuff.jpg
stuff.jpg (131.68 KiB) Viewed 15040 times
stuffffffffffff.jpg
stuffffffffffff.jpg (157.89 KiB) Viewed 14887 times
Attachments
Ughh.jpg
Ughh.jpg (89.25 KiB) Viewed 15040 times
IMG_20150128_005624.jpg
IMG_20150128_005624.jpg (62.86 KiB) Viewed 15040 times
IMG_20150127_231044.jpg
IMG_20150127_231044.jpg (74.7 KiB) Viewed 15040 times
Last edited by Thewalkingbar on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thewalkingbar
Level 8: Ross Seal

Re: BOOTCAMP WEEK 1: Perspective & Lens Basics

Postby Luna » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:09 pm

[quote="Thewalkingbar"][/quote]
is he upside down, Thekingbar?! @v@~ I guess paper or digital all all right, digital maybe more easy to upload tho :P xP Only personal opinion! hehe~ mine's coming later when I solve my portrait problems and I will EDIT this bongboong boonnnng~o(∩_∩)o
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Bartlomiej » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:39 am

Ok here is my 1st wide angle lenses . It looks badly. I painted black and white first and then add color on "overlay" and next layer was" color" and all colors image looks crappy. If someone know how to do nice colors from white and black image I will be grateful for help.
Thanks
Bartlomiej
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Re: BOOTCAMP WEEK 1: Assignment Finals

Postby Maron » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:16 am

is this where we post stuff?... <___<

I think I did this wrong...
27th of 1st bootcamp1.jpg
27th of 1st bootcamp1.jpg (495.69 KiB) Viewed 15382 times
Sketchbook
https://www.artstation.com/artist/maron
Maron
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Re: BOOTCAMP WEEK 1: Assignment Finals

Postby Peninsula » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:26 pm

Step 1

wide 1.jpg
wide 1.jpg (190.55 KiB) Viewed 15302 times

wide 2r.jpg
wide 2r.jpg (210.23 KiB) Viewed 15302 times

wide 3 r.jpg
wide 3 r.jpg (212.42 KiB) Viewed 15302 times

st louis re.jpg
st louis re.jpg (299.26 KiB) Viewed 15302 times

fotball resize.jpg
fotball resize.jpg (368.67 KiB) Viewed 15302 times
Also known as Axelga2112, Rev. Mendelez, Clement Obodom and A. Næss
Check out my music playlist here!
My sketchbook
Peninsula
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Bartlomiej » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:03 am

Bartlomiej

Re: BOOTCAMP WEEK 1: Perspective Basics [Discussion and WIPs

Postby chazillah » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:21 am

Hey guys,

Sorry for the confusion.
This thread will be for WIP/discussion on the subject.
The finals threadwill be for all of your completed work so that we can tally points for the leaderboard :) You may post in the finals thread even if you don't finish everything during the week.

Good work everyone!
chazillah

Postby Sophie_Draws » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:04 am

This is my contribution so far. It is embarrassingly bad but that’s okay. Haha. I’m restarting How to Draw whilst doing this as I’ve found that that my knowledge of perspective is almost non-existent. I’m excited for potential improvement :)
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG (57.56 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
IMG_0323.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG (56.32 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0335.JPG (47 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
IMG_0344.JPG
IMG_0344.JPG (46.43 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG (56.84 KiB) Viewed 14966 times
Sophie_Draws
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby H.Sung » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:25 pm

I think it would be helpful to encourage interaction if everyone posted a sentence or two summarizing what they learned from each exercise or if they had any questions.
------------------------------------------------------
ex 1: downloaded an interior shot from Sketchup Warehouse and played with the focal length. In 3d world, the parameters that stay the same are the absolute locations of the vanishing points, the center of vision and the horizon line. In 2d world, the vanishing points are pushed closer together relative to the page but are still in the same position in "model space". Here is a diagram summarizing what I learned.
ex 4: decided to draw some clementines (mini oranges). I've been drawing too much of the same thing from flat images, I think this well help my develop my form sense and I'm trying to be more aware of eye level.
ex 3: Rotating cube about the center
Rotating cube off center pivot
Just for fun, polar arrayed cubes with a common pivot
H.Sung

Postby Luna » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:30 pm

Oh my! Those animations so Cool! Can't believe they are so simple but so nicely done!!! Thanks very much for this awesome work, H.Sung! :D
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby ubem » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 pm

dooope studies walknbar
oo sick cities peninsula
keep it goin bart nice
dat perspective on point maron
legit sketches real af sophie
daang sung dem animations doe

Here's some of my first perspective drawings ever thanks to chaz's post and How to Draw by Scott R.
Probably going to fail the challenge, my art is so bad and I'm bad at following rules :( hope to get better
Anyway - chronological order:

Stair Fail
Critiques Appreciated!(Sketchbook)
Artstation
Facebook
DA
"Study the greats and become greater" - Michael Jackson
ubem
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby putridCheese » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:54 pm

Kinda dropped the dpi to 150... I wasn't really sure if we needed 5 telephotos and 5 wide angles. Only did wide angles for now.
Attachments
wideangle5.JPG
wideangle5.JPG (304.61 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
wideangle4.JPG
wideangle4.JPG (218.31 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
wideangle3.JPG
landscape
wideangle3.JPG (159.73 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
wideangle2.JPG
wideangle2.JPG (273.82 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
wideangle1.JPG
low angle
wideangle1.JPG (202.38 KiB) Viewed 14780 times
putridCheese
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby SatoshiD » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:13 am

I'm just a little confused here , when do we upload our works as finished assignments ? at the end of the week ?
Attachments
bootcamp D1 1.jpg
bootcamp D1 1.jpg (150.88 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
BD1 2.jpg
BD1 2.jpg (132.96 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
BD1 3.jpg
BD1 3.jpg (118.42 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
BD1 4.jpg
BD1 4.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
BD1 5.jpg
BD1 5.jpg (133.26 KiB) Viewed 14734 times
SatoshiD

Postby SatoshiD » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:18 pm

can someone help me with 3 vanishing points ? when do we use 3 VP exactly ?
Attachments
BD2.jpg
BD2.jpg (324.05 KiB) Viewed 14570 times
SatoshiD

Postby N00bwolf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:58 pm

Maron I think that you have placed the horizon wrong in both the colosseum and London tower bridge picture, the horizon should be placed under the frame in both.
Remember that you can always check if you have place the horizon right by tracing two lines (more if needed) on top of the photo that you are study from, where the cross each other you will find the horizon.
If the frame(aka picture plane) and horizon if of, everything else that you draw will be off to, so take your time getting those two right before moving on to sketch in the rest.

Listen to this Maron! it's easy to get confused when we're looking up at something.
just imagine you're the camera man and think about where you're standing. just because you are looking up it doesn't mean the eye level moves up with you, you stay on the ground :) you'd have to levitate up into the air to get that eye level/horizon.
N00bwolf

Postby N00bwolf » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:36 pm

SatoshiD wrote:can someone help me with 3 vanishing points ? when do we use 3 VP exactly ?

When you either look up or down with your head in a linear perspective, the lines that where vertical in two point perspective will start to converge toward a common vanishing point.
Imagine your where standing before an tall building, when you tilt your head up towards the sky the lines will start to converge towards a common point somewhere in the sky.
So Basically when you want to show a more natural view, a tall building, in bird eye view looking down on a city from an aircraft, cutaway views, could be used for drawing vehicle etc.
N00bwolf

Postby chazillah » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:44 pm

SatoshiD wrote:I'm just a little confused here , when do we upload our works as finished assignments ? at the end of the week ?

By the end of Sunday (feb 1st) in the PST time zone, which is feb 2nd for some people ;)
but even if you don't make the deadline, please submit anyway!
chazillah

Postby chazillah » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:50 pm

Maron I think that you have placed the horizon wrong in both the colosseum and London tower bridge picture, the horizon should be placed under the frame in both.
Remember that you can always check if you have place the horizon right by tracing two lines (more if needed) on top of the photo that you are study from, where the cross each other you will find the horizon.
If the frame(aka picture plane) and horizon if of, everything else that you draw will be off to, so take your time getting those two right before moving on to sketch in the rest.

Listen to this Maron! it's easy to get confused when we're looking up at something.
just imagine you're the camera man and think about where you're standing. just because you are looking up it doesn't mean the eye level moves up with you, you stay on the ground :) you'd have to levitate up into the air to get that eye level/horizon.
chazillah

Postby foxfire » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:42 am

SatoshiD wrote:can someone help me with 3 vanishing points ? when do we use 3 VP exactly ?

just to add to noobwolfs answer,
when youre looking at a CORNER of a cube for example and youre height in relation to it is above of below. the VERTICALS that are constantly vertical on 1pt and 2 pt perspective will converge to another vanishing point making it into 3 pt perspective. now a tip to finding this 3rd vanishing point is to know where your station point is. wich is literally where youre standing vertically. then drop a line VERTICALLY that vertical line will most likely be the location of the 3rd vanishing point.

this is how i understand it so . feel free to correct me if am wrong as i would be glad to know my mistakes...
foxfire
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby SatoshiD » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:47 am

foxfire wrote:

when youre looking at a CORNER of a cube for example and youre height in relation to it is above of below. the VERTICALS that are constantly vertical on 1pt and 2 pt perspective will converge to another vanishing point making it into 3 pt perspective. now a tip to finding this 3rd vanishing point is to know where your station point is. wich is literally where youre standing vertically. then drop a line VERTICALLY that vertical line will most likely be the location of the 3rd vanishing point.

heres a rough img i made to show you.

the station point is where the viewer at vertically.
this is how i understand it so . feel free to correct me if am wrong as i would be glad to know my mistakes...

thanks for your answer (: , but in your example , I think the third VP should be above the horizon line isn't it ? because we are looking from below the box then the lower part must look bigger ... maybe I'm wrong though :/

thanks to noobwolfs too (:
SatoshiD

Postby foxfire » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:54 am

SatoshiD wrote:
foxfire wrote:

heres a rough img i made to show you.

the station point is where the viewer at vertically.

thanks for your answer (: , but in your example , I think the third VP should be above the horizon line isn't it ? because we are looking from below the box then the lower part must look bigger ... maybe I'm wrong though :/

thanks to noobwolfs too (:

no youre right! was a mistake . but the point is still there though that thats where the 3rd vp is gonna be . ive removed the image to avoid further confusion lol.
foxfire

Postby takemoto » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:08 am

hello ,can someone explain " fish eye perspective " more ?
i understand the theory behind it , but its not that clear T_T / and how to draw it and place the vanishing points ? ... thank u
takemoto
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby chazillah » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:17 am

Great work everyone *_*

We'll do a hangout tomorrow (Tuesday) at 10AM PST, talking about concepts from this week's bootcamp plus some extra exercises! See you there :D

https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/gw5x ... owbjxbp34a

hello ,can someone explain " fish eye perspective " more ?
i understand the theory behind it , but its not that clear T_T / and how to draw it and place the vanishing points ? ... thank u

I wish I knew this more too, but I know the vanishing points are very very close together to create the distortion, then I think you just need to curve the lines into a sphere or eye shape?
http://bit.ly/1DxoVx5

If anyone has more information on this that would be great *_*
chazillah

Postby foxfire » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:33 pm

takemoto wrote:hello ,can someone explain " fish eye perspective " more ?

good thing to remember about fish eye perspective is that it has MORE than 3 vanishing points and its horizon is the sphere itself.
heres a great vid of sycra showing it how its done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422579428&v=7rAa-OXkmyE&x-yt-cl=85114404
foxfire

Postby normiyagi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:42 pm

foxfire- thanks for the link however that example is only 1 way to do fisheye perspective. it results in the same pov illustration everytime and isn't really applicable for pictures not requiring an aerial view. I don't mean to put you on blast, I just don't want anyone to be confused into thinking thats all fisheye perspective is.

fisheye perspective (aka 5 pt perspective but can also be 4pt) is used to warp the image in a way that a fish's eye or camera lens (hence the name fish eye lens) would. The sycra video is using 5 pt perspective to describe the ground plane with objects being situated on top of it. This results in an aerial view like if you were in an airplane and viewing a cityscape from above through a lens. In his example the horizon line extends around the circumference (outside line) of the circle.

In his description he even says that " It's a bit like looking through a fish-eye lens. " its similar in the sense that the image is distorted, but it is only one type of fisheye perspective.

I believe in this case what takemoto and chazillah are interested in is when the overall picture is using fisheye/5pt that can be applied to any illustration/storytelling situation, not just putting objects on top of a 3-dimensional spherical/curved surface. this would involve placing the horizon line within the picture plane as the x-axis and the center line as the y-axis. your vanishing points would be at the end of each axis (4) and the 5th vp being the point of intersection between the 2 axes (center). the x and y axes are equal in length so it should form a perfect cross. take this cross and connect the 4 end points by drawing a perfect circle. it helps to think of the planet Earth as a globe and how we use longitude and latitude lines to describe vertical and horizontal lines that traverse its surface.

its essentially the same concept, as your vertical lines (longitude) will change to curved lines that go to the "north or south pole" based on if they are above or below the horizon line (equator). and likewise, your horizontal (latitude) lines will be curved lines that go to the west or east points of the horizon line (equator) based on if they are left or right of the prime meridian (y-axis). in addition to that you can also have objects going to the center point (intersection of x and y axes) resulting in 5 pt perspective. 4pt fisheye is when you don't use the center intersection point as a VP.

if you look at what you guys did in bootcamp with the wide angle lens studies, that is fisheye perspective.

one important thing to understand when using fisheye perspective or any of the types of perspective is that you don't need to fit the whole grid into one picture. you can compose your picture within quadrants of the established grid to create more interesting and/or natural compositions provided you still include the x and/or y axis.

to understand 5pt we need to understand 1pt, 2pt, 3pt, and 2pt vertical perspectives. 2pt vertical wasn't covered in this boot camp so don't feel bad if you don't know it. maybe chazillah can add it in a future lesson. there were actually several forms of perspective not covered this week that are important to know that I'll list here:

isometric
atmospheric
2pt vertical
fisheye (4pt or 5 pt)
multiple vps on the HL (inbetween the established far left and far right vps)

and then concepts that require knowledge of perspective that you'll need to know:

mapping light and shadow
reflections

I'm sure there are more but thats what I can think of at the moment. With the pace of the bootcamp and (how busy she is with work) i don't know if/how chazillah can include all these so they might require you to do some independent study on your own. understanding atmospheric perspective and the mapping of light and shadows are pretty important in terms of picture making so hopefully chazillah is able to cover them (or you can learn them on your own) before week 6 so you can all go into the final illustration week fully prepared and ready to kick butt.

it would probably be more helpful if i did a demo but right now im pretty booked with work. ill try and do a demo of fish eye and some of the other concepts I've listed later on if chazillah hasn't planned them already in future bootcamp lessons and thinks they would be useful.
Last edited by normiyagi on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normiyagi
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby chazillah » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:53 pm

yes Norman, if you ever get the time that would be wonderful! my own knowledge and time is limited, so contributions are seriously welcome :)
chazillah

Postby Lambs » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:32 am

This bootcamp seems like the perfect opportunity for me to get back into serious practice mode, and maybe even post more than once every few months again. Happy to join you all! :D (Not so happy to be a week late, but I came as soon as I saw Hannes' post on DA.)

A couple questions about drawing cubes freehand:

1.) Is there a good way to work out the depth of a cube in 2 pt. without using the station point and diagonal vanishing point and everything? If not, is there a somewhat consistent way to locate those points while sketching? I feeling like I'm using way too much guesswork when I don't have enough time or tools to make really careful planned out drawings. The technical methods I've learned all seem too complex to apply in the field.

2.) I have an awful time making my sketches from life conform to an accurate perspective grid. If this is just another one of those things you have to get a feel for through the long grind, fine, but if there's some sort of method that would make my life easier, I'd love to hear it!
Sheepy book of arts (sheep and sheep accessories not included)
Lambs
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby MusicMetalHead » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:36 am

First five lens studies.

First 17 boxes

Last 3 + 1 mixed in with some misc studies.

First five box and ellipse exercises. Gonna do em in batches of five on different grids.

All I got for tonight. Time for sleeping.
MusicMetalHead

Postby OrochiG » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:10 pm

some WIPs =)

2015-03-04 18.32.18.png
2015-03-04 18.32.18.png (463.68 KiB) Viewed 11678 times

2015-03-04 18.31.58.png
2015-03-04 18.31.58.png (412.39 KiB) Viewed 11678 times

2015-03-04 18.30.50.png
2015-03-04 18.30.50.png (389.73 KiB) Viewed 11678 times

2015-03-04 18.30.33.png