Illustration Critique (Fan art)

Post any artwork that you specifically want to receive critique, paint-overs, or feedback on

Illustration Critique (Fan art)

Postby Miblert » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 am

This piece was for a contest last May (Draw with Jazza youtube channel). It would be nice to get some critiques mainly on the illustration side rather than the design. Thanks
Attachments
finn.jpg
finn.jpg (480.36 KiB) Viewed 537 times
Miblert
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Re: Illustration Critique (Fan art)

Postby ubem » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:14 pm

Love the concept! The upper half looks pretty good, the background floor and shoes all seem a little too monochromatic, making it look bland and uninteresting. It also seems the head of Jake the doggo feels a little misplaced on the body. The least important part that could be improved would probably be the textures and rendering of the beard, leather strap, and armor; Right now it seems flat, unfinished, and not too believable. Hope this helps! Let me know if you need ideas for exercises that could handle these areas.
ubem
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Miblert » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 am

Thanks for your critique man, I really appreciate it.
Umm..
I just want to ask How can I achieve that old painting style type of lighting? Is this because the lighting is realistic? I can see that my illustration above doesn't have that. I remembered your WIP Skeleton Mage and it has that type of lighting or feel to it. Would you say that I would achieve that if I do studies of old masters or of the painting you are making? If so what should I look for in paintings to get that feel? sorry if this question is too much.
Miblert

Postby ubem » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:21 am

Miblert wrote: I just want to ask How can I achieve that old painting style type of lighting? Is this because the lighting is realistic? I can see that my illustration above doesn't have that. I remembered your WIP Skeleton Mage and it has that type of lighting or feel to it. Would you say that I would achieve that if I do studies of old masters or of the painting you are making? If so what should I look for in paintings to get that feel? sorry if this question is too much.

These are good questions, and I'd be more than happy to help if I can.
Not completely sure what you mean by old painting style type of lighting, but I did try to emulate realistic lighting, which is also found in a lot of master paintings. Most certainly, doing master (or photo/life) studies with similar lighting and colors will teach you exactly how to incorporate it into your own work, that's exactly how I learned how to get that 'feel'. I'd say, look for images with believable colors and lighting, then copy them until you understand why it works, after a few or a dozen pieces, you should notice a huge leap in understanding once your brain assimilates the information. But be prepared to get frustrated and overwhelmed, practicing beyond your abilities is hard work. Hope this helps! let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification.
ubem
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Miblert » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:56 pm

ubem wrote:These are good questions, and I'd be more than happy to help if I can.
Not completely sure what you mean by old painting style type of lighting, but I did try to emulate realistic lighting, which is also found in a lot of master paintings. Most certainly, doing master (or photo/life) studies with similar lighting and colors will teach you exactly how to incorporate it into your own work, that's exactly how I learned how to get that 'feel'. I'd say, look for images with believable colors and lighting, then copy them until you understand why it works, after a few or a dozen pieces, you should notice a huge leap in understanding once your brain assimilates the information. But be prepared to get frustrated and overwhelmed, practicing beyond your abilities is hard work. Hope this helps! let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification.

Thanks! I'll try my best doing the studies.
Miblert

Return to Critique