Have to close this down :(

Have to close this down :(

Postby algenpfleger » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:07 am

Hey all,
long story short - there's basically some issues with the php base of the code, some standards are going to run out meaning this forum as it is will either be very vulnerable soon or I'll have to completely overhaul the thing. I have neither the time nor the ressources for the latter so in about a month I'm going to have to take this tiny little place offline :(

Rather than just wiping it though I wanted to let you all know and give everyone the opportunity to organize, maybe migrate as a group, back up all your threads etc. I know how much it can mean to have a sketch book online so I'm terribly sorry to have to do this :(

I hope you guys understand, and though I know I didn't post at all I did browse this place regularly and I know others did as well.

Maybe someone else can start a similar place to fill the gap? Please use this thread to maybe organize. A simple forum isn't hard nor expensive to set up so maybe there's a way the entire community can simply move into a new tiny toadstool home?

I'm sorry this omes so sudden, I feel terrible about this as I thought running a place like this was pretty hands off. But as it turns out, the combination of ever changing web architecture coupled with backwards German laws makes it more than I can juggle on the side.

Either way, I'm sure there's a way!

All the best
Hannes
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Re: Have to close this down :(

Postby Enydimon » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:32 am

Hey Hannes,

First off I just want to thank you for setting up the forum in the first place, it was pretty instrumental in helping me get back on track with my art studies. Even if we never got as popular as CA.org did in it's golden age, I still think this place had heart and there was a reason people kept coming back even after hiatuses. it's also heartening to know that you tried to keep up with us even if you weren't posting.

If I could I would continue the forum, but unfortunately I have too much going on in my life that I've ignored for too long to take on the responsibility myself. I did however make a discord server a few months ago for the forum if people would like to use that to either organize a new place or use it as a replacement: https://discord.gg/MjcKepW

I'd be willing to make channels that correspond with the sections on the forum here if it would help, or even give up leadership to someone who wants to take over who might have higher aspirations than just hosting.

To everyone else who might be reading this, it was an honour to participate in this community with you and I'm grateful for the experiences we had here. I hope you all find and reach the jobs and goals you were looking for when you set out to join this community.

Farewell.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:42 am

Aww man :( This is really sad. I enjoyed this forum a lot. It just came just in time and really helped to stay active online. I'm not sure how I'm going to save 19 pages of sketchbook hmm but then again I usually also posted on the Crimson Daggers forum so most of my stuff is also saved there.

Thanks to everyone for the great advice and critiques. It really helped me grow. I wish I could have been more active but over the years I found it harder and harder to articulate adivce that I thought would really help people.

Anyways I had a great time! Please Permanoobers keep going and pushing!
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby fiftyeightsqq » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:31 pm

I wouldn't know of the heyday art forums had in the past that people will mention since I wasn't around back then.
Permanoobs is my unique experience and it will be sad when gone as a poster since mid-April 2014.
I developed and fulfilled a great number of goals here.
Thanks for existing, I won't forget.
fiftyeightsqq
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Varfolomey » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:01 am

To the colleagues:

Please share here your other websites where you upload your stuff. So we can see your progress in the future.
I don't have any yet, unfortunately.
Varfolomey
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Elderscroller » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:18 am

Too bad the forum is closing its gates, I will really miss it, having posted here quite regularly for almost 2 1/2 years :( At least no one can take all the knowledge we all gained here away and for that I´m grateful as it helped me to stay motivated and get feedback to better myself. Thanks, Hannes, for creating it!
Elderscroller
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Thewalkingbar » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:46 pm

PERMANOOBS WILL LIVE ON IN OUR HEARTS! And the discord group ofc. Permanoobs really helped me (and pretty much everybody here I'm sure) progress my art, so thank you for everything you've done, Masta Harp Seal Algenpfleger!

Varfolomey's got the right idea btw! Post links peoples.
I'm pretty much only posting on instagram rn https://www.instagram.com/dannympavlov/ but here's my fb in case anybody wants to be fb art buddies. Idn.
Thewalkingbar
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Enydimon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Just to give a heads up for those of you who haven't joined the discord and are out of the loop, we're working on archiving the forum and hopefully if Hannes gives us the permission then we're gonna host the forum with some upgrades.

And by 'we' I mean Shu on discord (not sure if it's the same name here) is going through all the effort of doing this. So big shout out to them.

If not then we're going to make a new forum anyway, so feel free to stop by the discord and give suggestions in the suggestions channel if you have any.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby shu » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Enydimon wrote:Just to give a heads up for those of you who haven't joined the discord and are out of the loop, we're working on archiving the forum and hopefully if Hannes gives us the permission then we're gonna host the forum with some upgrades.

And by 'we' I mean Shu on discord (not sure if it's the same name here) is going through all the effort of doing this. So big shout out to them.

If not then we're going to make a new forum anyway, so feel free to stop by the discord and give suggestions in the suggestions channel if you have any.

Thanks, Enydimon. I should be making a detailed post about the new forum soon.
Still trying to get in touch with algen.
The forum mirror is complete. it was 17.1 GiB in total. I will be releasing it as a zip shortly.
Note to all: by downloading the mirror you do not own the rights to the images to recreate it or share it without consent in any way
shu
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby goldentiger » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:19 pm

Hello People !

Sketchlab has launched
. We couldn't get in touch with Hannes so there will be no database migration, if you decide to move you will have to build your sketchbook from scratch. The main features are already set up but new things are coming. We also have an image hosting file just for the forum in case you wanna store or resize your images outside.
Sketchlab is a new community on a different forum system not a replacement for Permanoobs, please read our guide on how to use the site :)

https://sketchlab.org/
https://lets.ink/

For those who would like to have a copy of Permanoobs you can download it here:
https://p-mirror.sketchlab.org/
goldentiger
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Heliux » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Hey thanks everyone! You guys are all great!

I'll be on the Daggers as "Heliux" (duh) and feel free to shoot me a friend request on facebook! Riley Wade from Austin, TX
-Wish you all the best in your future educational and artistic careers...see ya'll in all the usual places! ^_^
SKETCHBOOK WEBSITE TWITCH
"tho' I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet I was, by the endeavor, a better and a happier man than I otherwise should have been if I had not attempted it" -Ben Franklin
Heliux
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to ANNOUNCEMENT: Permanoobs is closing down :(