Styxtastic Sketches

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Styxtastic Sketches

Postby MushroomSeeds » Mon May 08, 2017 10:25 am

Nice work!! The mermaid looks pretty good though you could play with the colors some more! I'm biased since I'm not a big fan of green or brown.

Are you doing warming up before you draw? Maybe that will help? I draw a lot of circles before I draw maybe something like that would help if you're not doing it already?
mushroomseeds.tumblr.com
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=656625
MushroomSeeds
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Mon May 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Thank you very much for the hint!

Sometimes I warm up, sometimes I do not. I will keep my eyes open how it affects my performance.
Today I did warm up before that, but that was even more disappointing. I began drawing circles and ellipses and practised rhythm...and was stunned how dull the stuff I come up with looks compared to dynamic organic forms. I really have to catch up some things apart from mechanical problems with the graphic tablet. Everytime I learn something, there are just more problems that I realize XD
Styxcolor
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Willlake » Mon May 08, 2017 2:07 pm

not problems styx, challenges :) they will always exist so accept them and push forward dude!
Willlake
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Wed May 17, 2017 2:21 pm

Missed me?
I was busy with work...ah, well...and my drawing hand hurt from exhaustion, almost a week... this wasn't a good thing, I won't let it come to this again.
Here I go with 8 fresh pages of attempts to design a character for a competition.
Stag beetle + human

Yeah...
I have to practise/revise legs tomorrow...and the muscles of the neck.
Not everything works right now XD
Also, that's not the final proportions/dimensions of everything! I'm in an experimenting phase...

And he will need a costume. I guess I will go back to the very first rough sketches for that and borrow elements.

Books I have read in the meantime:
Art & Fear (Bayles and Orland) changed my way of thinking
Eat That Frog (David Allen, audiobook, time management/procrastination) changed my way of working
Show your work! (Austin Kleon, about marketing/getting seen) didn't change anything at the moment

Stagb 01s.jpg
Stagb 01s.jpg (205.22 KiB) Viewed 106 times

stagb 02s.jpg
stagb 02s.jpg (145.07 KiB) Viewed 106 times

Stagb 03s.jpg
Stagb 03s.jpg (132.27 KiB) Viewed 106 times

Stagb 04s.jpg
Stagb 04s.jpg (188.02 KiB) Viewed 106 times

stagb 05s.jpg
stagb 05s.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 106 times

stagb 06s.jpg
stagb 06s.jpg (174.93 KiB) Viewed 106 times

Stagb 07s.jpg
Stagb 07s.jpg (180.68 KiB) Viewed 106 times

stagb 08s.jpg
stagb 08s.jpg (180.74 KiB) Viewed 106 times
Styxcolor

Postby MushroomSeeds » Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 pm

I don't think I need to say it but I love the beetles!!
mushroomseeds.tumblr.com
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=656625
MushroomSeeds
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 am

Aww, thank you, MushroomSeeds ^^

Today...leg day :D and bodytypes

Tomorrow, feet and leg gestures
Saturday muscles of the back
And Sunday implementation into stag beetle man design + more gestures
Attachments
stagb 11s.jpg
stagb 11s.jpg (172.47 KiB) Viewed 92 times
stagb 10s.jpg
stagb 10s.jpg (134.29 KiB) Viewed 92 times
stagb 09s.jpg
stagb 09s.jpg (109.35 KiB) Viewed 92 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Fri May 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Good evening!
Moving on :D

My reading progress:
Austin Kleon "Share Your Art!"
Austin Kleon "Steal Like an Artist"

My opinion: quoted ideas and an actual quote from Art and Fear, overall less content than Art and Fear, probably for the fast/superficial reader and some hints about being successful online. Gist of it: share things and let others shine, they will give back... something...maybe. Don't just do it to get something. Maybe it's just not for me, but those short books can surely help others.

And: began reading Steven Pressfield: "The War of Art" The book is gross and disturbing, I love it for it's strange and refreshing tone and very strange metaphors. I would not suggest to take everything literally, otherwise you'll find yourself reading a pseudo-religious book condemning laziness and other bad traits as the devil.

Okay, and for my studies for today:

Thinking about legs and feet with the pencil, no refs in this rought stage, trying to figure some basics out for myself.
stagb 12s.jpg
stagb 12s.jpg (244.83 KiB) Viewed 85 times

Thinking about my bug man, facial studies to figure out how his face could work with actually two mandibles.
Stagb 13s.jpg
Stagb 13s.jpg (233.31 KiB) Viewed 85 times

--unpublished experiment, thinking with pencil in my hand about what moves me at the moment, too personal to share, but really really helpful for insights about who I am as an artist and what my "artistic voice" (Kleon) really is. The best thing I read for me in his works was the appeal to use my personal "artistic voice" in order to develop and train it at all. I cannot just sit there and wait for it to develop by itself magically. Just drawing/doing studies without a goal and without myself involved will lead me nowhere.--

Aaannd a glimpse of what I will have to learn concerning muscles of the back.
So many muscles! Too much to grasp in one day or probably one week. So here my first, superficial study.
stagb 14s.jpg
stagb 14s.jpg (237.01 KiB) Viewed 85 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Appendix. Looking at my upload here I realized that until now I had ignored any other muscle insertion for the giant stag beetle mandibles except the "human" mandible itself. Experimented with moving the attachment of the muscle to the neck and then to the back...to find out I still like my first approach best. But now I know why.
And by the way, by simple trying to draw it, I found the definitve body form I want to give my bug man. This is what most likely looks like a stag beetle in flight. My dear... I would never have dreamed of designing a character that seriously, digging in so deep... this is sheet 15 for "Saturn", my lovely bug man for a competition. Now I guess I'm in a state of the design that I can begin worrying about an outfit for him. He's a warrior. He's definitely built for that. But maybe he's different from the other stag beetles. Maybe he also likes books, philosophy and especially reading about the history of his kind, takes it seriously to use his strenghts wisely to protect rather than to attack...so he smiles so much, although everyone must think he's ugly or threatening because of the mandible.

stagb 15s.jpg
stagb 15s.jpg (223.84 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Sun May 21, 2017 1:57 am

Update on my reading list:
finished Steven Pressfield's The War of Art and am still a bit disturbed, but this is good, I question some of my beliefs, which is of course a good, but uncomfortable thing to do.

Steven Pressfield has written numerous other books, amongst them "Nobody Wants to Read Your Sh*t" ...which I of course began reading immediately. It's aimed at authors primarily, but the lessons are invaluable for visual storytellers/comic artists as well. He instantly brought me back to writing as a part of me.

I spent two hours doing research on a genre and genre-examples for a short story I will write for a competition. Well, I never have put that kind of effort in that before. Where will it lead me? I introduce a new writing- section of my blog here.

---
ART

Costume (modern) master studies from my new sketchbook. In search of inspiration for Saturn's outfit.

I was on a great little artist con yesterday.
I have to tell you so much from the great, creative day yesterday that the words won't come.

One of the things I like best was how I did those studies in a break from chatting with my fellow artists and one good soul of them approached me and told me: I guess, what you are looking for all the time, is the sengoku period in Japan.
YES.
YES. Sengoku is it.
I didn't know. I thought I was an educated person, but I'm not. I have no idea about Japanese history and she saw the essence of what I was looking for with ease and just told me what I didn't see all the time.

Of course, looking at the sengoku roots of those master designs my admiration for the creators of those designs grew even further. It's incredible what they have achieved using those historical elements!

The designs are, from left to right: Auron from Final Fantasy X, Noj from Final Fantasy X-2, Logos from Final Fantasy X-2, Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII (original design), High Priestess Selene from Grandia 2

stagb 16s.jpg
stagb 16s.jpg (127.1 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Styxcolor

Previous

Return to Sketchbooks