"Ideation Station"

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: "Ideation Station"

Postby Leesment » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Ah I just join to leech inspiration and knowledge, I got nothing to give you man but praise. I will have to play more with the eraser and removing to create interesting shapes, people seem to love to use different brushes on their erasers, like a soft round one, but I find it to be such a flow-stopah for me.

Digging that no one is really the same height in the last study, loving the result, cool edges, neat colors on the skin as well.
Will post updates daily, drop a comment and watch me grow, yo!

Sketchbook
Leesment
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Palladium » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:50 pm

Case- Thats what I was thinking to lol, ^___^ Thanks for dropping by.
Floridah- Well, the Sargent study was only a portion of a much larger painting. Here's the ref beside it, I should played more with the edges, but I was really only focused on getting the traditional feel. It's funny that you mention those things because it was what I was already planning on doing haha;)
sach- Salute to you good sir
Saggingtauras- I might try at a later date, thanks:D
Leesyweesy- No problem man, leech away. Yeah, I resized the study a few times throughout the process, and used the warp tool on occasion. Thanks;)

First is the ref and study that Flo asked for, second is a turd I tried polishing using some of Jaime Jone's techniques. Ughhh! Bad day lol, learned a lot though so not a total lossXD. Some things I need to work on, interesting poses and silhouettes, hue and temperature shifts from light to shadow. Also, if anyone has any ideas on how I can stop sucking in general, please place advice following the beep...I mean postXD

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby Mischeviouslittleelf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:22 pm

Oooooo that last sketch is tasteh! Good work, especially on the mood. Though the adherance to the color scheme renders is a little flat and unintensive, I would try and find an excuse for infering some badass reds in the cape, or maybe some strong blues in the snow or something.

-Even
Mischeviouslittleelf
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Hatsby » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:22 am

Holy crap dude I'm super flattered you spend some of your time cheering me on in my SB.
I don't really know what feedback to even give! Your stuff is really neat :D
Because your sketches read really well, they almost feel finished! I'll be keeping a close eye on you, oh yes..
Hatsby
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Luna » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Hello Pallad!!! You are working hard!!! And the improvement to see your color master study in recently is really closer to the original one!!!!! ●▽●∠※
I don't know how to say much, because you are on the Right way, just need to working more and doing more!
more! @v@~ Keep working hard, awesome Palla!!!
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Palladium » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:41 pm

Mischeviouslittleelf- Ooooh, hell yeah, some badass reds would be awesome. I really need to work on hue shifts as well. Thanks for the advice man:D
atsby- No problem man, and thanks for dropping by:D
Turtle Luna-Thanks for the encouragement^___^

I did these crappy speedies today, 10 to 30 min each. These are really fun as well.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby Luna » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:49 pm

^___^ Very nice new color update, Little Paa!!!!! ^___^
hm~~~ sorry for nothing to say~ but "biu~ biu~ biu~" (a noise from a turtle! @v@)
(because I might not reply very often after this time for a little time again (coz when I focus on thinking talking can reduce my "logic"), so I am just coming making as much mischief as I can till Pallll cry.. ;v ;~~~~~~~~ HOHOHOOHHHHOOH~ lalallaa oooooo~ oink~oink~~~~~~~ >v<
@v@ anyway, keep rocking~ <333
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Leesment » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:01 pm

Ah solid update, but wouldnt Leechment be better suited ? Anyways your variation is a new one. Usually I am just Leetment. ;)

Solid update, too bad the resolution you painted in do not translate so well into the scaling of the forum. :B Some of those thumbnails I wouldn't even be able to work within even at 100% zoom. Although they read well, the top two might need some tweaking as I want sum contrast bae.

Sketchbook
Leesment

Postby Palladium » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Luna- wow, two replies in one day, unheard of:D Thanks again.
Leesment- HEY NOW! I make the nicknames round here! lol. As for the thumbs, I actually painted each one on its own canvas at 12 x 18, I just threw them all on one canvas to avoid multiple uploads. Each one is perfectly suitable for further painting:) Thanks for the tips man.
Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby CaseyL » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:10 pm

Woah! I just flipped through your whole sketchbook and loved everything in it. I love the loose brush work of your rough studies and the color in your still life studies x_x. I'll be following your work and looking forward to your updates! :D
CaseyL
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby IsaacEs » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Hey man thanks for the reply on my sketchbook it helped me a lot, yeah the whole 10,000 hour things is just for me to realize that i need to put in work constantly, its only been recently that i have begun to actually try and understand what im drawing ive done too much autopilot drawing in the past and has resulted in slow progress but i got it now,

sorry now to your sketchbook, your stuff is awesome man all those color studies make me want to keep painting! I also really like your sketches of faces they're really cool! hope to see more stuff from you and happy sketching!
IsaacEs
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby matthew » Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:18 am

Ah, I like thumbnails! Lots of ideas in a short time :)
Oh and that portrait study on the last page is looking great!
matthew

Postby Hai » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:54 pm

youre getting rly gud with color. amazzze
Hai

Postby Palladium » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:07 pm

CaseyL- Oooh! thank you for such kind words:P
IsaacEs- Yeah, in my opinion, it's not just drawing and painting that adds hours to your goal, but also reading, thinking and planning before applying. I also just like to sit outside and observe light affects around me and try to understand why it looks the way it does. Glad to be of some help to you, hopefully i will be again:D Thanks
Matthew- Thanks man, love your newest illustration, a little too clean for me, almost too digital looking. I'm going to be doing hard brush studies soon, any tips or crits you could shove down my throat would be much appreciated in the future man. Happy painting:)
Hai- hi hi hai hi......hey? lol. Thanks, but color is soooo hard!

PeachE is totally showing me up with her figure sketches.....so I thought I would give it a shot, man, it's beena while. First
Alright, so most of this first section was disappointing in my eyes...
sort of like when you want your son to play football, and he grows up big and strong
and decides that he wants to be a dancer, and not ballet kind of dancer but a Magic Mike kind of dancer, and I'm like, what about all the money we spent on private coaching....yeah, this post just got weird!
Because of this disappointment I went back and did some analytical figure drawing, some were after Kevin Chen's figure sketches, and at the end did a 45 min figure with bad shading. And yes, the chair is totally effed up perspective and construction wise.:D...:)...;)...:P...XD
Also, no offense to any ballet and magic mike dancers out there;)
Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby TheaJazzman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:55 am

XD your Magic-Mike-kind of drawings look like you just needed some sort of 'warm-up'? But it's good to see you using the pencil again. Guess those analytical drawings will help a lot (I remember reading in some of your posts you didn't do these when you started drawing...? At least that is what happened to me :D) Nice shading on that figure, I just wonder about how she twists... because her upper body is slightly turned to the viewer, but her arm is shown in profile, I tried to do this in front of a mirror and without doing some stretching and yoga before this doesn't feel comfortable, but maybe that's just me :D
TheaJazzman
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Taylor-Payton » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:04 pm

Man, I'm seeing some solid progress up in here. I love the drawing studies, I know they're going to come through as your progress in your painted endeavors. Nothing too constructive right now, I'll just say keep it up :D!~
WWW.POWERPAINTERS.ORG <- My Tutorial/Resource site for sharing process.
My Sketchboooookkk: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30
Taylor-Payton
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby PeachE » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for your comments back at my sketchbook, I'm going to crack the whip as well... Lol actually I don't think I physically can....
But anyways, would you care to explain what was it about those figures that disappointed you? I mean what was the end product you were aiming for, but didn't quite reach? Like with my drawings, I try to set myself a goal, to maybe focus on the twist of the torso, and yea the rest of the figure might not look so good, at least I managed to become more comfortable with the torso. And move on to something else the next day. That's kinda how I got through my lack of understanding of the shoulders...

Again, with your colour sketches, remember to turn down those colours and see if the values are working in your image :)
Don't forget to do actual drawings in real life, like with pencil to paper, gotta level up ALL them skills. Stay focused, like maybe set yourself a goal of understanding like a certain concept, and keep at it. Don't feel impatience to want to move on too quickly.
KEEP AT IT UNTIL IT BECOMES A COMFORT ZONE!

If ya feel confused, or losing your way, go read some more arts stuffs. Things would suddenly make sense, or they would explain something that you are struggling on, and the dots will connect :D
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ So much information to take in!!! One thing at a time!

http://www.treetop-hideout.com
Sketchbook
PeachE
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Maron » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:23 pm

those figures, aaaaahhh! Me wants 2 : (( Lend me your drawing skills?

I'm sorry about your Magic Mike. Your next kiddo will be a success, no worries! Maybe it's the mother. Bet she let him watch MLP secretly......
Sketchbook
https://www.artstation.com/artist/maron
Maron

Postby greyskill » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:29 pm

Good stuff.

I like the girl portrait a lot, the 7-8 hour study, very well done.
Nice figure sketches as well, just sharpen them up a bit and they will be super nice.

Keep rocking it!
greyskill
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Flo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 am

hey man, I am liking this sketchbook.

Your 45min figuresketch of the woman on the chair is standing out to me. Nice rendering and clear light direction.

On the color painting I would agree with mischieviouslittleelf, just drop some warm light on that hoodie and give it another rendering pass. Would love to see that.

Cheers,
Flo
Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=266

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
Flo
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby BenjaminJames » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Great work in here man loving the figurative / character drawings, nice brushwork in your digi landscapes too, keep pushing!
BenjaminJames
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby killdeer » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:31 pm

lookin good! keep working <3
killdeer
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Leesment » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:31 pm

Jaja of course you got the thumbnails in the original sexy resolution. :D Are you going to carry any of them further?

Relating your stuff to magic mike and so on makes me feel it will come back and bite you in the ass and cause your offspring to be a bit more... magical, like your sketches, hell even the shitty ones looks more than okay to me.

Sketchbook
Leesment

Postby Palladium » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58 pm

Thea- Yeah, I guess it could have been considered a warmup itself lol. I've missed using the pencil, think I'm going to start doing charcoal drawings for a while though. I never used to do any type of analytical sketching or studies, I used to just make copies(not a very good way to go learning) It was a very odd pose for that figure indeed, but the photo had nice value transitions, I copied the way the pose was pretty closely though. Guess I'll have to use some creative licensing in the future. You must've been mighty curious (maybe a little bored;)) to try the pose yourself lol. Thanks.
Taylor- Thanks man:)
Eachen- Like I mentioned slightly in your thread, I want them to feel like they have real weight to them, solidity. I think my problem is that I used one line thickness for the whole figure. I need to vary the line weight and study gestural and analytical figure drawing, at least I think that would be a start lol. Good tips btw:) You're right about leveling up all my skills hehe, I prefer to think i'm playing an rpg, and each ability will level up with enough experience. I wasn't getting impatient though, on the contrary, it made me want to work that much harder to get it right. Just as long as I don't get complacent with my work, I'll continue to study and learn, and hopefully improve along side you and the others here.
Maron the baron- Thanks, I don't actually have kids btw, just being humorous:D But I'll take it as my next drawing will be better, so thank you:D
Greyskill from underhill- Nice tip, thanks;)
Flo- Thanks for the visit Flowy Flo:P
Benji- Thanks
Killdeer- Will do, and... you ...too:) Guess I'm going to be rhyming my way through these replies lol.
Leesment- Haha, maybe sometime, thinking of them being more or less speed sketches. There might be one or two I'll push further in the future. I never watched Magic Mike, guess I should before using it as a reference lol. Thanks.

Replies are getting longer and longer lol. Love it! First are some thumbnails for possible paintings, and page of figs with questionable results(was paying too much attention tot he tv at the time) And some studies. 2.5 for the full figure, and 1.5 hours for each of the other two(Messing around with various techniques)

This last one, I took some leeway with the ref, and did a slightly stylized version of it instead of copying it.Still need to work on hands. Here's the ref HERE.
Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby Joelhladky. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:13 pm

man, stuff is really starting to click with you! the expression in those pencils, it's so... dare I say?... so... Mccaig!?!?!!! makes me want to grab some woodless graphite pencils and go nuts on some newsprint!

Just a hint more attention to the eyes will make that last study more successful in my opinion, but dude, seriously the strokes are so killer in these last few posts. Careful, you might get arrested!
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Peninsula » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:05 am

Man.. how do you find the time to do all this? Is this your main/only occupation right now?
Also known as Axelga2112, Rev. Mendelez, Clement Obodom and A. Næss
Check out my music playlist here!
My sketchbook
Peninsula
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby pskibobby » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:33 am

Wow these studies are getting so good! I don't have much to say right now other than keep it up!
pskibobby
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:37 am

This sketchbook is simply a joy to look at.
Sketchbook | DeviantART | Tumblr | Facebook | Skype - cyklopas261 | Yeeeeeah!
ErnieTheMighty
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby sachsapne » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:11 pm

oo sweet figures man
sachsapne
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Indrik » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:22 am

Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook Palladium!
I don't have much to crit (I'm in love with your pencil work) but in the last post when I read "a page of figs" I thought "hmm, interesting study choice". Took me a second to realise you meant figures.. ヘ(◕。◕ヘ)

Those thumbnails are great too. I really like the ruin one.
Indrik
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks