"Ideation Station"

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: "Ideation Station"

Postby Palladium » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:05 pm

Joelie- I would be lying if I said Iain's work has not been a huge influence on me, it's a huge compliment towards me, so thank you. It's funny, you're like the 10th person to say so. I love my woodless graphite pencils, I've bought 2 or 3 sets over the past few years, and for some reason I always drop them within the first few hours. They break really easily, so if you do you get some, be careful:) Thanks for the tips.
Peni- It's called amputation of your social life;) I draw through every free minute I have.
Pesky Bob- Thanks man
Ernster- Thanks:D
sachetpache- XD
Indrik- lol, thanks for the kind words.

Sorry I haven't posted in the past few days, been reading through some books on drawing, composition, figure drawing. Also got my hands on famous artists course books, awesome reads btw. I found some old general charcoal pencils that my bought back in 92 or something. These things suck, felt like I was trying to draw on a chain-link fence with an effin' pinecone. But I had some vine and compressed charcoal in my oil kit, so I used those instead. The general charcoal pencils I used sparingly. Their good for a rough texture, gotta remember this when I want to render something like shirts or rough cloth. Also, a few sketchpages, and a few quick gestures. The right figure on the first page is a study of one of Jaime Jones charcoal figure drawings.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby MateusRoberts » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:29 pm

I tried to think of something constructive to say but couldn't come up with anything lol, just keep doing what you're doing, there's some great stuff here. Looking forward to seeing more finished illustrations.
MateusRoberts
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Palladium » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:01 pm

Mateus- Dude, thanks, seems we're both striving for the same style. Good going on the drapery studies, really liking the way you block in.

Some more charcoal stuff, still need to work on construction.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby OrochiG » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:20 am

Hi, hi.

Sick stuff, dude! You've got a pretty good understanding of light, color, and value. And you've got some cool design ideas too. Your figure sketches are spot on!

So three things:

1.) I tell everyone this because it's immensely helpful: break down forms into simpler forms. Like as in "I don't have to think about it" kind of simple (spheres, cylinders, cubes). Something like this:
anatomy_forms.jpg
anatomy_forms.jpg (204.46 KiB) Viewed 3991 times

My friend beat this into my head about a year ago, and it's been so helpful ever since. I see that you're starting to break the figures down into constructive forms, and that's good. It just takes a lot of practice to find out your own system of figure drawing. I think the best way I learned is by thinking of bones and muscles as simple machines, and I got this concept from how Ron Lemen teaches anatomy and figure drawing.

2.) Someone pointed out that you should try your best to bring things to a finish. I think part of it is because a lot of your digis have that soft, rough organic brush marks, but not a lot of cleaner, harder edges for contrast. And someone else around the forums posted a really helpful tip on how you can quickly get to a finishing point:

It's important to use hue, saturation, value, texture and gesture to lead the eye to the most important spot(s). If you do this you can get a finished image really fast.

To the most important spots:

1.) hue
2.) saturation
3.) value
4.) texture
5.) gesture

3.) This is more of a meta-learning thing: who are your influences?

Keep up the good work!
OrochiG
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Palladium » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Orochi- Damn man, that's an awesome well rounded critique. Thanks for all of the tips man:D

A few more charcoals, been working on putting values down carefully so I won't have to do much erasing. So far, working with charcoal is reaaaallly fun, and I think I'll be able to transfer some of my thinking and working processes back and forth from drawing to digital painting(at least I hope I'll be able to hehe) One of the things I'm working on, I touched on this up top, but I want to think more, paint less. If that makes sense haha. Working with charcoal is helping in this matter. I love how I can quickly lay in dark values.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby Zombie from the moon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:53 am

wow, figures look amazing! Do you use vine charchoal? So hard to control. )
and great focal point on last update's female figure. :D
Zombie from the moon

Postby Palladium » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:10 pm

Zombie from the moon- Dude, you're awesome. And yes, it's vine charcoal, I find it much easier to use than other forms of charcoal. Thanks:)

A few more for today. All charcoal again, I promise I'll get into some painting soon.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby MateusRoberts » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:29 pm

Hey dude, nice stuff. What exactly would you say you're learning from these charcoal studies, and what of it could be applied to digital?
MateusRoberts

Postby Kikindaface » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 am

nice simplification of values dude ! really beautiful charcoals ! Keep it up !
Kikindaface

Postby PeachE » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:13 pm

ahh... haven't really said anything lol.
But nice to see you drawing traditionally! Experiment and learn!! And then go and apply to digital paintings and kick everyone's butts.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ So much information to take in!!! One thing at a time!

http://www.treetop-hideout.com
Sketchbook
PeachE

Postby Leesment » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:28 pm

Ah man you made me pick up my sketchbook and charcoal. Really dig those thumbnails with different keys(?), still reading up on that and you make it look obvious. I have no clue how you get that result with the charcoal, either you must press hard as possible or or you use some kind of powder? My sticks wont leave half as dark mark when I infuse my tears into it. Bit of an envy going on now going to draw out of spite now!
Will post updates daily, drop a comment and watch me grow, yo!

Sketchbook
Leesment

Postby AmmoBot-HB » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:08 am

Sup dude! Good to see some more of your work.

I'm enjoying all these charcoal studies and it seems you have been too haha.
A lot of people have trouble working with charcoal since it smears so easy but you seem to have a nice hand with it. I like how you get subtle values in some areas to define the forms of what it is you're drawing at the time. I think someone else asked it above me but what is there to gain from this? Is it simply practice but with a different medium or are you looking to understand how to create form easier with less strokes and what not?
AmmoBot-HB
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Palladium » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:20 am

Mateus- You ever go through the drive-through at a restaurant, and when the guy asks you what you want to order, or just spurts out their special item you just have to order, and then you get that panic where you forget what you were going to say? Well, that just happened when I read your question lol. I think ammo bot put it the best way, I'm learning to create form easier with less strokes. I believe it will be an easy transition to digital when the time comes for it. Not sure how I'll apply it, but thats a detail that can be worried about later. I'm going to start experimenting with brush making as well.
Kik-Thanks man
PeachE- She's alive, SHE"S ALIVE;) Will do, will do. Don't forget to do the same yourself:D
Leesies Pieces- Good, keep with it, I feel that I've learned more from this little venture in the past week than what I've learned with all of the digital sketches over the past month. Really don't think about different keys, I'm just trying to get nice reads across the image. You know, dark behind light, light behind dark. Pushing values here and there etc.etc. I'm using an ebony design pencil for the under drawing, then I use a piece of vine charcoal to fill in large masses with value, applying different amounts of pressure to get darker values. I then smudge with my fingers, and repeat if necessary. Erase a few areas, then done. Now go out and draw fantastic things:D I'll try to do the same.
Ammo- Thanks man, and that's exactly what I'm doing this for.

Some more CHERCOALER thumbnails.

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby Zombie from the moon » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:14 am

Each update is better than previous one, see a lot of growth in those thumbnails, they look really good! I think you could get rid of outlines, that would made them even more realistic! Very inspiring, keep rocking!
Zombie from the moon

Postby Matthias Hausmann » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:18 am

Hey Palladium, awesome sketchbook! I just love your traditional medium stuff. It's amazing how much control you have on your values in the charcoal thumbnails. Please more! Maybe explore the same subject in multiple thumbnails to strengthen them even further.
Matthias Hausmann

Postby MateusRoberts » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:26 am

You know what? I think I'll try some charcoal too. I have like ten unused charcoal pencils in my drawer, might as well give them some use. I'm loving the values and the strokes in your charcoal stuff, if none of it translates to digital (which I doubt) at least I'll hopefully have some cool drawings.
MateusRoberts

Postby PeachE » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 pm

Ahahaha yea I am indeed alive. You know what... I have a charcoal pencil, and IT DOES NOT go down like what a charcoal should... Lol at least I think it's not doing what it's suppose to be doing. I must be using it wrong or something...
MORE EXPERIMENTING GO!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ So much information to take in!!! One thing at a time!

http://www.treetop-hideout.com
Sketchbook
PeachE

Postby Hatsby » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:20 am

Ooooh I'm really diggin' the shape in those charcoal sketches.
so stronk... Really compelling design work in here yo
Hatsby
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Leesment » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Ah nice update as always, my sketchbook and charcoal is taunting me so badly right now, I tried to do some portraits but I accidentally lefthanded and just had a black blob left on my page. You spray em with hairspray or do you infuse your sticks with my tears to make them stick?

I don't know what it is with those thumbnails without edges, seeing lost edges like that is making it look like some serious fieldnotes from some scary place.

Sketchbook
Leesment

Postby Enydimon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:29 am

Those charcoal drawings are looking really nice.

I like the values on the thumbs as well but I'm thinking maybe you could push some whites for depth and focal points.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby dragning » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 pm

Those thumbnails are really cool. The traditional aspect really lends them some difficult-to-describe quality. I can't wait to see more!
dragning
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby matthew » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:51 am

Oh, this is cool! Now I want do to charcoal thumbs, too...
matthew

Postby Palladium » Tue May 05, 2015 2:40 pm

Will post replies in next post. These were from last week, meant to post them then, but something unexpected came up. Just more charcoal experiments, enjoy :D

Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby Leesment » Tue May 05, 2015 3:58 pm

Oh man you are not posting frequently enough. >:( The hair on the last portrait is freakishly good, awesomely grouped 'n all. Very handsome post in general.

Sketchbook
Leesment

Postby MateusRoberts » Thu May 07, 2015 10:25 am

Uhmm... Something's wrong here

MateusRoberts

Postby Palladium » Thu May 07, 2015 12:59 pm

Mateus- must be on your end, it shows up fine on my tablets and computers.
Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

Postby MateusRoberts » Thu May 07, 2015 3:46 pm

Yeah, it's weird. I can see all the images in other people's SBs, but now your looks like this to me :^(
MateusRoberts

Postby Uyeno » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 pm

Wowww I really adore your sketchbook! I think your sketches are my favorite thing to look at. Also I read that you went to school with Medders! Thats insane! Hes a huge inspiration for me :D
Uyeno
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby IsaacEs » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Wow Holy Crap your sketchbook is awesome man I am really enjoying your studies and sketches/paintings! I dont realy know what to ctitique haha, just keep going man cant wait to see whats coming!
IsaacEs
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Palladium » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Wow!, It's been a long long time since i've posted lol. Life got pretty messy haha. Here's some new,and a little older stuff. Gonna try and update pretty frequently so stay tuned guys and gals ;) Also some of my older images were replaced with work thats not mine, it has to do with issue over at conceptart.org.
Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks