(っ•‿‿•)っ Uiriamu's sketchbook

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: (っ•‿‿•)っ Uiriamu's sketchbook

Postby Uiriamu » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:00 pm

@Darnis - Thanks! :) Mainly I use two brushes that, and a looot of smudge tool haha. I made one myself, which is basically just a textured round brush. Otherwise I'm mostly using the standard hard round brush, but I change the hardness as I see fit! Fun stuff!

@Nexam - Hey Nex! Haven't seen you for quite some time! Thanks mate :) Weh I don't know. I guess I'm making some progress, but it feels like it should go faster... Strange feeling.

Got tired of the other illustration so I decided to do something else, going back to my "roots" a bit (lol "roots" being like one year ago), feels good.
Also some portraits, trying to spend less time on them and still somehow make them pretty if that makes sense. Sorry for all of these boring portraits hah... Quite good though, they're a lot of fun. Starting out with something really comfortable works pretty good for me, nice warm up!

No idea if the illustration is too big :(
Attachments
digi53cute.jpg
digi53cute.jpg (102.34 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
digi52(2)fun stuff.jpg
digi52(2)fun stuff.jpg (227.81 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
digi55ilustbigger.jpg
digi55ilustbigger.jpg (358.86 KiB) Viewed 2952 times
Uiriamu
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:37 pm

Joined the hangout for a little more than hour today, it was fun! Nice to have a different way of playing with all the other permanoobs! I told you guys I was going to sleep. I lied. No seriously I WAS going to sleep but for some reason I ended up on Kingkostas sketchbook over at CA. Aint no body got time for sleep when there's masters around like that. Mm-hm preach!

Still life, will try and make at least 1 still life per day digitally.

Some fun as well! Feels Craiggy! Might continue with this one, flesh it out even more. The workflow was so different from what I'm used to!
Attachments
digi56still lifefsmall.jpg
Still life wip
digi56still lifefsmall.jpg (156.17 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
digi57newworkflow jpeg.jpg
trying out something fun!
digi57newworkflow jpeg.jpg (311.3 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Uiriamu

Postby Nowio » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:00 pm

Nice sketchbook!
Your faces are gorgeous... D': Just keep them coming!
Nowio

Postby Zombie from the moon » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:04 am

Thanks for stopping by, I wish I've checked your sb earlier, you studies look great and I love that "cosmic" feel in latest pieces.
Zombie from the moon

Postby Aragah » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:11 pm

Dude. those portraits are improving quite a bit, although not all is translating to imagination work just yet.
maybe try to find a workflow that works for both studies and imagination stuff, that usually help when applying what youve studied?
Keep up the good work!
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Check out these sketchbooks!
Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:39 pm

@Nowio - Thanks :D Glad you like them! Thanks a lot for the encouragement, you too keep it up! :D

@Zombie from the moon - Sweet, thanks! :)) Cooosmic feelz is best feelz! Cheers mate!

@Aragah - I know. :\ Some things are getting stuck in my head, but yeah like you say everything is not translating over. When I do portrait studies for example it's going good in the beginning, but as time goes and I work more with it I tend to cut of my brain you know, and start working rather mindlessly. At least some things are catching on, but yeah - should be more! Been thinking about my workflow a lot lately, and something I noticed instantly when I was doing studies was that the workflow was entirely different. I'll think about it even more now ;) Thanks a lot for the crits and the heads up Aragah! You too, keep it up!

Update on the latest image, things are going great. It's loads of fun! Endless noodling lol. Maybe I should get that other leg in as well ;p maybe it looks weird haha..
Attachments
digi57newworkflow2.jpg
Update!
digi57newworkflow2.jpg (317.15 KiB) Viewed 2886 times
Uiriamu

Postby Uiriamu » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:08 pm

Quick sketch before bed
Attachments
digi58(2).jpg
digi58(2).jpg (180.31 KiB) Viewed 2854 times
Uiriamu

Postby Uiriamu » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:29 pm

Funsie update on the last image. Sitting up all night to paint is the way to go!

When I started again to continue on this one I noticed I was being very cautious with my strokes, something I did not like. I got tense, or something. I realized that it was too early to start render stuff, and there were still things to be figured and fleshed out. Didn't take long before I got the flow and everything just went swimmingly, but right now I'm far too tired to actually do something heh, so.. Gnight!
Attachments
digi58(4).jpg
digi58(4).jpg (139.65 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
Uiriamu

Postby Uiriamu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 pm

Color testing. Going from B/W to color is haaaard > <
Attachments
digi58(3)3.jpg
digi58(3)3.jpg (261.11 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
Uiriamu

Postby Uiriamu » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the google hangout gais, it was a lot of fun! Did a John William Godward studie, and I was literally busting my ass to actually think what I was doing during the process. Focused a lot on my rendering, but I realized that rendering and noodling around can be done rather mindlessly, for some reason. Maybe I'm all wrong, please do tell your opinion of it all if you think otherwise.

Was going for a process of my workflow-kinda thing but failed miserably where as first image is like 3 strokes, next one is basically blocked in and the last one is just rendering haha, but that'll do. I hate when you plan on doing these things but save the image not many times enough on separate files...

Oh and the dwagon is just a pure sheer awesomeness done by Venomisia, I THINK. It sounded like it was a co-lab but I have no idea, you'll have to tell me if you want the full credit for it venom hahaa

• • • • Edit

I just read that long thread about what people feel like the crit-environment is like. I myself tend to be a nice guy, like most of us. Having spent 2 years on a boarding art school with the majority of people who paint and love stuff like Kazimir Malevic or Piet Mondrian, I realized it's hard to crit everything. I know that the overall theme and climate on this site as well as back on CA, is that everyone wants to improve technically. Ever since I had to get used to being "nice" to people in my class, in front of giving critique I actually wasn't qualified to give (look up Mondrian, try and critique stuff like that lol) I have been lost my crit-givin-spark if you know what I mean. I can see that in myself, and I'll for sure work in it! So now you know, don't hate me if I seem harsh or anything. I think it's really obvious when someone's just being an ass with the crits, and when someone is genuinely trying to help.

I, like many others aren't posting here in hopes to have people gently massaging our buttocks! :D I think most of us are here to git gud and all become 4RT G0DZ! ~~~

• • • • /Edit
Attachments
DwAg0Nl33t.jpg
DwAg0Nl33t.jpg (168.52 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
digi60godward2workflow.jpg
digi60godward2workflow.jpg (343.01 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
Uiriamu

Postby Inkem » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:52 am

Ello! How do the hangouts work btw? Sounds like an interesting idea.

I'll agree with the mindless noodling and rendering, if it don't take a break and get that tunnel vision it just becomes copying like a zombie. I'm thinking of doing studies where I use the lighting, value, and colour elements of the ref but change up the facial features so I learn to invent it better for myself.

Mmm I never really got that kind of abstract art. I mean there are graphically pleasing ones with good composition and mood that I really like looking at, but 2 or 3 blocks or stripes on a canvas, I'm stumped. I guess its just having something new or avant-grade like the duchamp fountain, although that might be a harsh comparision xD. Enlighten me art school sempai!
Inkem
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:19 pm

@Inkem - The hangouts are so much fun, and great on every level. Check it out some time! ;> Yeah that's a good idea, you mean make an illustration (anything really) and using the same light, values, colors and everything from the ref? Haha trust me, I never got that art either... To me it's just a mystery and it's not pushing my buttons haha.

Something new during the hangout. It feels safe when painting it, but at the same time it's not working out the way i want it to. Weird feeling. Oh well. It's fun nevertheless.
Attachments
digi61sketch1.jpg
digi61sketch1.jpg (375.02 KiB) Viewed 2770 times
Uiriamu

Postby MateusRoberts » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:42 am

Hey man, thanks for the help on my sketchbook. I'll try to help a bit here too, I'm not very good at giving critiques but I'll try. I really like the values and brushwork on your last piece, but I see a few reasons why it might not be working. First, head is too small, quick fix. Second, the pose is pretty stiff. I always try to give the spine a little curve, and when possible (it almost always is, unless the pose goes entirely against it) tilt the shoulders and pelvis in different directions (eg. right hip goes up, right shoulder goes down). Third, maybe I'm just not understanding the bottom of the picture very well, but it looks to me that her legs are pretty short.
MateusRoberts

Postby Leesment » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:01 pm

Vacker dam framför träd du har där, men får hålla med Mateus litegranna proportionerna på armarna är lite för långa, och utan "bredden"(?) på underarmana så ser de lite ut som spaghetti med samma tjocklek hela vägen. Men utöver det så hoppas jag du ramlar ner i helvetesgapet för dina values och hur du har målat det. För bra.
Will post updates daily, drop a comment and watch me grow, yo!

Sketchbook
Leesment
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:06 pm

@Mateus - Hiya! Thanks for taking the time to crit. I agree, in my sketches my poses seem to be "pretty" fluid, but once i start working with em they tend to stiffen up! I'll work even more on that!

@Leesment - Alltså armar är typ omöjligt verkar det som. Needs to study moar. Gick igenom hamptons armar men det verkar inte göra mig klokare precis. Jag tror att jag gör det svårare för mig själv, än vad det egentligen är, det är bara en känsla jag får. *trillar ner i helvetesgapet AHH.... För död.*

Been a while, here's some stuff.
Attachments
digi82study.jpg
digi82study.jpg (440.13 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
digi77small.jpg
digi77small.jpg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
digi71(4)small.jpg
digi71(4)small.jpg (249.31 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
digi75ladyofthornssmall.jpg
Was heavily inspired by Bumskee whilst doing this one... bumskeeeee <3
digi75ladyofthornssmall.jpg (295.92 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
digi79small.jpg
evening sketch
digi79small.jpg (417.99 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
digi81envirosmall.jpg
beh
digi81envirosmall.jpg (205.75 KiB) Viewed 2675 times
Uiriamu

Postby Thewalkingbar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Wooow love this stuff! Everything is so fluid.
Thewalkingbar

Postby Uiriamu » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:08 pm

@Thewalkingbar - Thanks! :D fluuuuuiiiid smooooth yehhh!

Some portraits during hangout sessions, had a lot of fun with these. You guys are great!
Attachments
digi87greetsmall.jpg
digi87greetsmall.jpg (226.57 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
digi84clairsmall.jpg
digi84clairsmall.jpg (444.66 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
Uiriamu

Postby crankshaft » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:45 am

Hey Uiriamu! Good to see you here as well. Some critique with the last one: It could use stronger lighting to show more form, especially around the cheeks as they look flat. Try to give everything a 3/4 lighting setup as that is how we usually tend to see things in real life. Hope this helps.
crankshaft
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:58 am

@Crankshaft - Hey Crankshaft! Nice to see you on Permanoobs! ;D Thanks for the crits. I just paused the Lost episode and painted from there so I don't have the reference anymore. Was pretty low quality haha but I'm super certain it wasn't any 3/4 lighting. A lot of light came from behind and her face was in shadow. Maybe I should've made her face a bit cooler though!

Arrright here I am! Started at the atelier, met all the awesome people, venomisia being one of them. First few days I was like: Holy shit what have I done T__T but now it feels really really really great and I'm very sure this is where I want to be at. They're gonna break me with Baruges. At least so they say. I think there's a risk but I aint giving them that satisfaction haha. COME AT ME BRA!

No but seriously, a lot of schoolwork involving non-personal stuff. There's little time for imagination work but on weekends I can do it. Gotta apply those fundamentals I learn in school.

about 30 hours in to this bargue so far, give or take. This is my second one, and I don't have any image of the first one unfortunately. It was a much simpler one haha.
Attachments
digi96.jpg
digi96.jpg (109.83 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG (347.36 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
IMG_0936.JPG
IMG_0936.JPG (340.84 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
Uiriamu

Postby Edm » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:59 am

Damn, this head drawing, such beaty... is it done with charcoal? Though lines seem to align strangely behind the ear [neck a bit to left and skull to right] maybe it's meant to be that way, I dunno :P
Very inspiring sketchook btw, definitely following.
Edm
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Donato » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Hey that bargue is looking great can't wait to see it finished, man all them subtle shifts fricken love it. Can't wait to see your training reflected in personal pieces!

Oh and ha is that Scarlo :O
Donato
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:11 pm

@Edm - Thanks! :) No it's actually only pencils, 2H and HB mostly. We'll be starting with charcoal after christmas I think. Yeah I thought that looked weird too but I figured since the head is probably a cast or a statue of some sort and is made for hanging on the wall, certain parts of the brain had to be cut away haha. It actually looks like that :P

@Donato - Cool! :D Glad you like it. Yeah applying all of this is the hard part. Of course its Scarl-o!

Now we're getting closer to 50 hours. I'm gettin' there! Feels like there's always something to do on it, which feels great but kind of overwhelming as well. It's a good lesson I guess!
Attachments
digi96smaller.jpg
digi96smaller.jpg (135.6 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
IMG_0954.JPG
IMG_0954.JPG (312.63 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
digi99emelie.jpg
digi99emelie.jpg (483.5 KiB) Viewed 2445 times
Uiriamu

Postby sartre's slippers » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:32 pm

Really cool sb! it's like Bumskee and Medders had a baby ;) The only thing that I'd say as a crit is try to incorporate more chromatic variation when you shift tones--especially when you start in grayscale and then lay in colours as blended layers on top.
sartre's slippers

Postby Agerkvist » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:44 am

50 hours...well done...so you keep drawing until you think it's done, then show it to your instructor who will point out the flaws and make you work more on it? :D
Agerkvist
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Uiriamu » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:15 pm

@Sartre's Slippers - Bumiriamu, new alter ego! Thanks! What do you mean with "try to incorporate more chromatic variation when you shift tones--especially when you start in grayscale and then lay in colours as blended layers on top." Like just more hue variation in general?

@Agerkvist - Thanks :D Yeah basically we're getting crits a few times every day, cause there always comes a point where you yourself doesn't necessarily see what's wrong with it, that's when the teachers or instructors come and help out.

Was going to post the finished version of my bargue but apparently i fucked that photo up when I compared it to the other ones I took... Next time!

Here's some progress on the skeleguy still figuring stuff out! Having fun!
Attachments
digi96scelestic(2).jpg
digi96scelestic(2).jpg (225.57 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Uiriamu

Postby swagtron9000 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 pm

That drawing of the guy on the chair is absolutely phenomenal
swagtron9000
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby sartre's slippers » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Hey, Yeah! that's what I meant!
sartre's slippers

Postby Uiriamu » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:10 pm

@Swagtron - Thanks mate, haha. I kind of fucked his proportions up a bit. Rushed through it ;P

@Sartre - Aright! This batch will be only in greyscale, soooorry!

Been busy at school. I've started my third bargue, last one in graphite before charcoal. Also finished my first 5 figure bargues, and some other stuff. Been a very busy period.
Attachments
IMG_0978.JPG
IMG_0978.JPG (298.5 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
IMG_0977.JPG
IMG_0977.JPG (397.96 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
IMG_0976.JPG
IMG_0976.JPG (344.45 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
IMG_0975.JPG
IMG_0975.JPG (404.65 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
IMG_0974.JPG
IMG_0974.JPG (323.1 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0973.JPG (355.19 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG (357.79 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
digi96scelesticpost.jpg
digi96scelesticpost.jpg (183.5 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Digi100supersmall.jpg
Digi100supersmall.jpg (139.46 KiB) Viewed 2252 times
Uiriamu

Postby StressCavity » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:52 pm

It's been forever since I've seen your stuff man, and you're killing it with the studies! The skull guy is coming out really neat too. Maybe do some more non-study work as well? Get that creative brain flex goin' with designs or something; you're definitely getting figures and faces, time to make some characters! :D

Keep up the solid work.
StressCavity

Postby Zombie from the moon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:13 am

Duuude, you are improving so much! Can't crit anything, only ask, how do you apply your studies? How much time does it take you to do one master study? One drawing?
Skull guy looks really great, clean and sexy! Damn, this page of your sb is really inspiring!
Zombie from the moon

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks