Deliberate Practice [April 2018]

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Deliberate Practice [April 2018]

Postby ubem » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:54 am

Hi Permanentnoobs thanks for checking out my sketches, pointing out flaws and weaknesses would be very much appreciated!

Here's some studies from earlier this year:

*Edit, deleting some posts, the pages feel a little crowded
Last edited by ubem on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Critiques Appreciated!(Sketchbook)
Artstation
Facebook
DA
"Study the greats and become greater" - Michael Jackson
ubem
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Re: Ubem's Path of Growth

Postby Imbalantus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:29 am

Looks pretty solid! Do you have some works from imagination, especially figures from imagination?
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby chbdetta » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:28 am

Last two studies look amazing!
chbdetta
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby ubem » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:08 pm

Imba: Thanks, I do, but my imaginative work I feel is miles away form my rote copying work lol.

Chb: Thanks, landscapes are so relaxing, also learn a ton about the natural world and natural light from it.

Okay here's a warning, terrible images ahead from my head:
All imagination

Last edited by ubem on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby Kontrapunktus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:08 pm

Although black is useful, big fields of it tend to look flat (as with any color). Gradating the value just slightly will give things more depth.
Kontrapunktus
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Luna » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:13 pm

o(∩_∩)o I accidentally found your SB, I like the few landscapes you have done before. @v@
But I think you need work harder on drawing much more humans! ^_^ Not much to say yet! Let's begin to work hard Soon! And hope one day that "Party" of our ceremony will come again! ^_^/ X
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Imbalantus » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:25 pm

ubem wrote:Imba: Thanks, I do, but my imaginative work I feel is miles away form my rote copying work lol.

Honestly I'm really ashamed of these, I can see huge mistakes in all of them, I don't know why there look so bad. Maybe I just need more practice?

Never be ashamed of mistakes in your drawings! The correct way is to understand mistakes as a challenge and opportunity to improve and not to be ashamed of them and hide them (from others, but more importantly from yourself). I think this is super important, because if you attach negative emotions to "failure" then this gets stuck in the brain and the mind will automatically find ways to sabotage your effort because it tries to escape situations that resulted in negative emotions.

For now I think it's best if you get a book like Michael Hampton's book, or Loomis, or Hogarth, and then do systematic study. Then you're involved in a process where you can break things down and identify issues that you have to work on. Then you're not only saying "gosh, this whole thing doesn't look good", and instead you're grounded in a system from which you can identify "why" something looks wrong and then you can work on specific things.
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Guppy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Hey good job on your studies they look great! your sketches have a novel look to them! my advice is to paint from imagination more often and use real life/pictures/paintings to correct your errors and remember to have contrast in your painting! Keep up the good work you'll get better in no time!
Guppy

Postby ubem » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:08 pm

Kont: Very true, wasn't planning too much in that one painting. Also color gradients in landscapes are killer

Luna: Thanks, I agree my anatomy has been lacking compared to my colors and values

Imba: Thank you so much for the suggestions and pep talk! You're right, that's why I try to post not only my 'best' looking work, but also my worst (my figures). But when I see those as failures, it motivates me to work harder, because failure can always be improved upon (just how I look at it.) I think negative emotions have their place too, alerting the consciousness to take action or analyze a problem. Either-way I really appreciate your support! :) I just got Hampton's book, I have Loomis and Hogarth's too, but so far Hampton's advice is extremely applicable right away, Loomis and Hogarth have a more principled and rule based approach which puts me to sleep lol. Also picked up some Vilppu and Proko DVD's which aren't half bad. Thanks for reminding me to analyze why things look bad and how to fix them, I often forget to do so.

Gup: Thank you, I never noticed that before about my sketches lol, you're right, I try to do at least one imagined painting per day (kind of slacking because on a study romp.) Craig Mullins said when he does studies he looks at the principles of what makes things work or look real, instead of just copying verbatim.

Since my figures were so bad I decided to draw over 100 gestures, took over 5 hours ugh:
I think I still need to work on my proportions next time, I focused mainly on the movement and rhythm of the gestures on these. I have learned that gestures is a really good way to practice perspective, you have to know where the horizon line and where forms curve. It's really rewarding to engrave into your brain the 3d model of the human form, even if in the most basic of shapes.
Also was deeply inspired by Ben Li who's pretty close to drawing 10,000 gestures!
http://10000gesturedrawings.blogspot.com/
Last edited by ubem on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby ubem » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:17 pm

Another imagination piece, about 2.5 hours:

few swamp thumbs because I stink at swamps:

And a forest study, trees are awesome, about 2 hrs, 1 layer:
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby naifangh » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:04 pm

Hey man, your studies are pretty good, I think it'd be good to do more so you can translate them into your imaginative work. The main problem I see in all of your paintings is your edge control (it's done best in your tower painting). I'd say try to use brushes with 100% opacity so you don't have translucent brushstrokes between all your value shifts.

In your imaginative work, I'd say work more on your value structure. As it is right now, if you squint, there's no contrast in value between most of your subject matter, just slight shifts in hue. I think what would help is to do grayscale studies of master paintings to train your eye.

Also, most green that you see is actually desaturated yellow. Try colorpicking from paintings (don't use the colors you pick, just look at the types of colors you find) to see how colors are used versus how they actually look in context.

Good luck!
naifangh

Postby Cruptic » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:04 pm

Hey Ubem, great sketchbook, I think you're on the right path here, just keep it up and try to draw a lot every day but sounds like you're doing that already!
I don't know how fast you want to become better or if there is a time limit to become a professional or something but if you want to get jobs as fast as possible you should definitely think about focusing on one thing first, like characters or illustrations, or environments or what have you.. right now you're doing everything so it'll take longer to get good at it keep that in mind ! ;)
If you're still learning how to learn you should check out some of Anthony Jones livestreams I think they are called visual engineer or something like that and you can find them on livestream.com/robotpencil ! Very cool Q&As there and he talks about how he studies and stuff like that. He has a blog with a bunch of cool articles as well : http://drawingtruth.tumblr.com/ just scroll down to an article called the art of studying I think he has a pretty cool way of going about it and it works very good for me!
Maybe try to schedule your time as well, 6 hours a day is great but there is drawing and there is drawing.. if you learn how to manage your time and begin to learn with a plan and let's say like weekly or monthly goals you probably get more productive and when it comes to drawing you always know what to do and there is no sitting in front of a blank canvas anymore :)

Hope that helps a little bit, just keep doing what you do basically and always think about methods of how to do stuff smarter, art is a mindgame ;)
Cruptic
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Kikindaface » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:06 pm

Hey man, keep drawing and painting hard ! I'd really suggest painting and drawing from life as much as you can, just set up quick still lifes, and paint them, you'll learn a lot ! Also keep drawing from imagination ! Looking forward to see where you're going with your art !
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Luna » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:41 pm

WOW, Ubem!!! I love your imagination pieces! I found them So Hard to do, but you are doing them so solid! @v@ Just if the color can be deeper would be even better! :D
That's a good inspiration from you! Thank you! --> I will more work from Imagination as well!
Luna

Postby ubem » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Wow thanks for all the responses guys, this place is awesome.

Naif: Thanks, I agree, I'm pretty sloppy brush-wise with quick studies. The tower one was made using Jonas De Ro's technique I learned on Skillshare, using lasso tool and neat layers, I highly recommend it. I'll be sure to do more color studies I'm struggling to create color form my imagination. Thanks for the color tip.

Crup: Thank you, yea I burn out pretty easily after the 6 hour mark. I'd draw/paint 24 hrs/day if my brain could handle it. I'm giving myself 3/4 years to become self sustaining with art. You're right about focusing on things, but I'd like to get good at everything , and so I try to relate everything to everything that I learn. I'll definitely check that out, thanks so much for the link. Yea art is all in the mind, especially the roadblocks. There's a podcast too that interviews art pros, very interesting conversations: https://soundcloud.com/the-collective-podcast.

Kik: Thank you man, right I love doing still lives, but they've felt too easy. Maybe I'll incorporate more in my regiment.

Luna: Thanks Luna, yea color is definitely one of my weaknesses, I'm glad to inspire you

Here's a quick 1 hour piece from imagination and a 3hr from imagination:
Been drawing a lot of faces lately and certainly feel slow improvement>

I think the background in the first one is really jarring for the eye, I'm studying backgrounds from Bouguereau and Tadema and it's quite difficult.

And here's a value/face study, about 4 hrs:

Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby ubem » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:59 pm

And here's some still lives, mostly from pictures. The purple kiss is from life. I don't find much of a difference working from life vs high res photos :

Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby Luna » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:45 am

Haha! Nice still lives~ @v@ I like that purple one!
Personaly I found the eye get the color from Life are more difficult than from photo~ For example, just put a glass of water, and use Opacity brush color to paint it! XP
Luna

Postby ubem » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:47 am

Luna: Thanks, that's the only one done from life. Yea, I find breaking down colors into its value, hue, and saturation makes it easier to identify

Sorry It's been while since I last updated, I've done maybe a thousand drawings over the past couple months and there's too many to upload lol. Also they look terrible if scanned because I drew them looking from a weird perspective on my desk.. at least it was fun

Here's some master studies below. I read in Drawing: Classical Atelier book that students first study masters for the first year > Cast studies the second > live model third > and imaginative paintings on the fourth year. I kind of like that system, and so far I'm learning plenty from master studies ^^

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

[url]Image[/url]

I really need to hone on my drawing accuracy and more edge control. I think I'd benefit a lot from staying zoomed out as much as possible to work in the proportions.
Here's some photo studies and an imagination sketch, one is a tribute to my mentor who passed away:

[url]Image[/url]
[url]Image[/url]
[url]Image[/url]
[url]Image[/url]

Sorry about the superfluous [url] tags, I'm still learning how to use code lol. I also Love the +Hangouts! wonderful group there. Unfortunately I find it a little too distracting to paint for cereal :(
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby normiyagi » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:40 am

where have youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu beennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn?
glad you are still working on stuff. do more master copies of drawings tho. they will make your paintings stronger. in china/russia you don't touch the paint til 3rd year yo, atleast thats what one of my old professors said (minus the yo =) ).

ps that fight the power/bro-fist is legit.
normiyagi
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby ubem » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:53 am

normiyagi: Lol I've been busy doing traditional drawing studies (from photos)! I figured the time it would take to process and scan all those drawings could be better spent on drawing even more :D, thus my absence . Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely get back to the drawing board and study them masters' drawings; I found this great book for master drawings too: http://www.amazon.com/Charles-Bargue-Je ... 2867702038
I can *Cough*share the book to whoever will use it, so long as you don't tell NASA, I'm sure their Curiosity rover doesn't need to know about me...
Anyways back to the ol' grind, won't be hearing from me for a little while - Time to draw!1!11
I LOVE ART SO MUCH - IT CAN HAVE MY CHILDREN
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby SundryAddams » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:47 am

sorry, got nothing but ass pats for you, I'm admiring your output.
SundryAddams

Postby Lulu » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:55 am

Nice work! :)
Keep doing those gesture studies. They will help you understand the human form better and better! I made it a thing to start my days with some kind of gesture practice and it helped me improve tons!
Lulu
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby sachsapne » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:05 am

Post... Post something ._.
sachsapne
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby ubem » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:03 am

Sundry: Thank you, yea it's impossible not to make tuhhhhns of art when a person is literally only eating, sleeping, and drawing - with no distractions ^^

Lulu: Thanks, tots agree, been watching proko and villpu the past months and they really help with gesture/anatomy.. but my gestures turn out like turrds all the time #cry

Sachs: fiiiiiiine I'll show you guys my terrible behind the scene drawings, which makes me cringe to show.. but since you guys are awesome and so beguilingly persuasive

Some sketches done in the past week :p

The last one was done with 100% opacity, and lordy lord was that difficult.
I've also been doing drawings from the book mentioned in last post, but they're probably too boring and plane jane to show, it is however some of the hardest drawings I've ever done! Howevs I gotta admit, master painting is waaay more fuun than master drawing - at least for my A.D.D. & bipolar brain ^^
Last edited by ubem on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby Alexander Lidström » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:15 pm

MOAAAAR!!
The values on the last one are good though ^^

You might want to zoom out more when doing portrait to look at the overall picture and get the proportions and vertical and horizontal relationships right. You have a tendency to draw your eyes to small (easy fix when you notice this is the lasso tool L, transform cmd T, make bigger, change angle if necessary, enter, cmd D). People have a tendency to draw detailed areas (heads, eyes, hands, feet) smaller, not sure why.

You haven't posted any landscapes in a while btw :P
Keep it up!
Alexander Lidström
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby ubem » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:39 am

Alex: Thanks, yea definitely agree, zooming is a godsend. Here's a Bierstadt scape

Okay for cereal, I'll be gone trying to complete le bargue book, it's super toughs
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby Alexander Lidström » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:01 am

Update maybe?
Some good stuff man!
We just want MOAR! :D

Post your bargues
Alexander Lidström
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby ubem » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

Alex: Thanks man, Yea just been doing bargues for a while, only on 20/137 - going to try to finish all the drawings best I can.
It feels like they pay off too my eye is a little better and am better with shadows on organic forms from imagination ^^

le bargue spam next post!
Last edited by ubem on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby ubem » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

ok bargues! (Chronological order more or less) I also did these on the cheapest materials I could find- using ball point pens, #2 school pencils, and newsprint, the later ones I had to switch to purely pencil and 50lb paper because of all the shade blending lol, I did some on the computer too but I want to get through my physical supply stash #livinggreen
I hope I finish these soon so I can study 2 of Scott Robertson's books, How to Draw & How to Render. Thanks to the suggestion of Google Hangout buddies Chazz and Joel and others!

I know they're done pretty poorly :( hope to do better for the next ones. Please destroy my art!!
Last edited by ubem on Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Postby ubem » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Also sorry for such late replies, got caught up in client work but I decided to terminate le job early because I wasn't learning much loll maybe cuase I have massive A.D.D.
Almost forgot stilly during hanging-
Artstation
Facebook
DA
ubem

Next

Return to Sketchbooks