Eny's sketchbook

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Eny's sketchbook

Postby Enydimon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:03 pm

Oh man I'm so excited! I can't wait to get some good feedback again.

I used to post on CA.org but fell off the bandwagon due to depression and other internal issues. I wont bore you with the details but now that I've got some things sorted I've been recently looking for a place just like this. This is perfect timing. I don't know what kind of job/career I want but I figure art has been apart of my life for a long time and I don't see it ever going away so I might as well just get better no matter what happens.

I'm just gonna start it off with some recent stuff. I'm a bit too excited to give some of this a proper scan, please forgive me, haha.
Attachments
aprilstudies1.jpg
aprilstudies1.jpg (366.36 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
feetstudies1.jpg
feetstudies1.jpg (237.95 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
april2014environment2wip2.jpg
april2014environment2wip2.jpg (166.65 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
april2014environment1wip2.jpg
april2014environment1wip2.jpg (127.34 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
demonrising1.jpg
demonrising1.jpg (288.51 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
armour1.jpg
armour1.jpg (262.7 KiB) Viewed 11235 times
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Re: Eny's sketchbook

Postby Tastenkasten » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:11 am

Hey great start Eny! Some really nice pencil studies and the metal on this knight looks awesome! Is this from head? Really nice brushwork. keep em coming!
Tastenkasten
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Enydimon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:21 am

Tastenkasten- Thanks! The knight and the environments are all from reference and the pencil studies are from both imagination and reference.

--

Here are some environment studies. Someone once told me to do them in black and white so I don't get so confused and sidetracked by colours. I'm still uncertain of how to approach these and how far I should take the rendering. I'm finding them more difficult to break down and study in comparison to something like figures or anatomy as there are a lot of small details and nuances.
Attachments
april2014environment3.jpg
april2014environment3.jpg (229.73 KiB) Viewed 11192 times
Enydimon

Postby Enydimon » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:05 am

I'm trying to determine how much I should post. I don't want to turn it into a thing where I'm only drawing just to post, y'know? Whenever that happens I feel like I'm drawing for the wrong reasons or the wrong intent. Sucks out all the joy of drawing.

Anyway, here are some environments with a single flat brush. I couldn't resist doing some of them in colour because I loved the colours from the refs so much. I guess for now my intent is to build up a visual library of landscapes amongst other things like getting better at values and being able to get across what I'm trying to show. I suppose the colour ones are just me trying to figure out what colours look best and how to work with more limited palettes but I wont lie, I'm just throwing in some colour ones here and there because they're fun.
Attachments
april2014environment7.jpg
april2014environment7.jpg (123.01 KiB) Viewed 11161 times
april2014environment6.jpg
april2014environment6.jpg (90.44 KiB) Viewed 11161 times
april2014environment5.jpg
april2014environment5.jpg (162.1 KiB) Viewed 11161 times
april2014environment4-1.jpg
april2014environment4-1.jpg (153.7 KiB) Viewed 11161 times
Enydimon

Postby Enydimon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

I'm just going to drop these here for now and maybe post some more stuff later. I'm hoping my package with conte and pastels comes in tomorrow.

Right now I'm having a hard time laying down the lines for inorganic stuff. It's much easier to break down in pencil but not necessarily digitally. I'd also like to get some more imaginative stuff done so I can show what I typically draw. Most of my studies this year have been focusing on weak points but I think trying to tackle full illustrations just completely messes with my head so I should probably work on that too. I tried to do the marathon of studies for a few months once with the hopes that my ideas would come along but it doesn't really work like that, lol.
Attachments
april2014environment10.jpg
april2014environment10.jpg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 11129 times
april2014environment9.jpg
april2014environment9.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 11129 times
april2014environment8.jpg
april2014environment8.jpg (126.53 KiB) Viewed 11129 times
Enydimon

Postby algenpfleger » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:40 pm

wow man so many studies! good stuff! armor looks great! keep doing the color studies, and go work directly in color on those landscapes! it's not as scary as you think! :D
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby Enydimon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:19 pm

algenpfleger- Thanks! And yeah, I think I'm just gonna go full on colour with them now. My values seem to be fine and I could use the colour practise anyhow.

My art supplies came in the mail today, I've got everything but the conte pencil. I also need to find a better set up, but drawing big just feels right.
Attachments
april2014environment11.jpg
april2014environment11.jpg (150.32 KiB) Viewed 11094 times
newsprintfigure3.jpg
newsprintfigure3.jpg (222.94 KiB) Viewed 11094 times
newsprintfigure2.jpg
newsprintfigure2.jpg (230.65 KiB) Viewed 11094 times
newsprintfigure1.jpg
newsprintfigure1.jpg (221.44 KiB) Viewed 11094 times
doodles1.jpg
doodles1.jpg (469.15 KiB) Viewed 11094 times
Enydimon

Postby AutumnSkies » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Hey Eny!

I really love your landscape and feet studies! I tend to avoid drawing feet like a coward and only draw portraits so props to you on that.
As for the landscapes, I would say just trying them from the beginning with color instead of black and white. But I really like what you have posted so far. Also, that is awesome about your art supplies that came today. I am looking forward to seeing more posts! :)
{My Sketchbook} viewtopic.php?f=3&t=426
AutumnSkies
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby Enydimon » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:48 pm

AutumnSkies- Thanks! Yeah I'm not so great at drawing feet either, which is why they're one of the things I'm focusing on. I've made it a point for the last 4 months to focus my studies on things I'm not so great at (hands, feet, landscapes/environments, women, etc.)

Here's a quick update with another landscape. I think I'll try tackling some imaginative stuff tomorrow.
Attachments
april2014environment12.jpg
april2014environment12.jpg (161.47 KiB) Viewed 11076 times
Enydimon

Postby AutumnSkies » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm

I need to do the same. I have things I need to focus on as well - feet, hands, anatomy, textures, lighting, landscapes. The list could go on. I don't know why I don't do it either. It will definitely have to be something to keep working on.
Btw - I love this landscape you just posted. It looks really great! I love the water and how you can see a bit of the reflection of the mountains. And also, how you were telling me earlier with things in the distance seem blurry. I can see it in the mountains. Looks great. :)
{My Sketchbook} viewtopic.php?f=3&t=426
AutumnSkies

Postby Zakknart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:23 pm

You have a lot of studies and effort here, it's inspiring and show for myself how lazy I am =/ Thanks for it
Zakknart
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:14 pm

I really like the energy you have in your figure studies. Especially the last one.

It's really excellent that you're tackling your weaknesses. Keep at it!
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby eilidh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:52 am

Hey Eny!

I like your figures a lot, they're fluid and expressive – and that armour is really impressive.
Keep working on those landscape studies! If I can offer some critique, I think they're a bit fuzzy. I'm struggling with landscapes myself, too, but I find that one thing that helps is to lay in basic blocks with large, sharp-edged brushes, and work my way towards more detail. (This is probably much different than the usual approach with pencils, the way I understand it.)
eilidh
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Enydimon » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:15 pm

AutumnSkies- I know what you mean. The sooner you work on that stuff, the faster and better you get at it. It doesn't have to be uncomfortable forever.

Zakknart- Thanks! I don't feel like I'm doing that much but I suppose it's easy to feel that way when you only get to sit back and look at the amount of work people have done. It seems like a lot but we weren't there every hour of the way either. You have a lot of work already in your sketchbook, I think you're doing fine but if you think you can do more then by all means do more!

Joelhladky.- Thanks, my figures used to be really awkwardly stiff so I'm glad that the work I'm putting into fixing that is showing.

eilidh- Hey! Yes, you're right, my landscapes are too fuzzy and I don't render them all the way. I'm working with only one brush for most of the recent ones and they're getting progressively more detailed, but I really should try talking some of them to finish.
---
Alright, very brief update. I took a bit of a break from studies to just doodle stuff from imagination so I don't burn out. Here's one of the ones I ended up liking. It's nothing exciting but it's something.
Attachments
youngergromsketch3.jpg
youngergromsketch3.jpg (444.45 KiB) Viewed 11003 times
Enydimon

Postby Faitle » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 pm

love your sketches...and man i know how you feel with that depression...makes you not want to do anything, and you waste a lot of time doing nothing...really sucks... well for me thats how it still is, hope you get better and keep up the drawing :D
Faitle

Postby eilidh » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:37 am

Hellscream! I could totally tell it's him. (Man, I really liked the Warcraft strategy games.)
eilidh

Postby Enydimon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Faitle- Yeah I used to have phases where I just couldn't move at all. Very bad for your personal hygiene, lol. I'm fairly stable now, I just have a few kinks to work out. Hope you have success overcoming yours.

eilidh- Yeah! I love the Warcraft RTSes, they made me into a big fan of orcs. I try not to do too much fanart from it but I think there will always be that sort of influence even if I don't, lol. At least a little bit.

Slow art weekend. I tried slowing down on this one and giving it a bit more attention to rendering but landscapes are still tricky when it comes to details for me. I think I'm seeing some progression in comparison from stuff from earlier this month though.
Attachments
april2014environment13.jpg
april2014environment13.jpg (164.34 KiB) Viewed 10956 times
Enydimon

Postby eilidh » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:21 pm

You don't necessarily have to shy away from fanart. It's actually a good way to get people to notice your work, because a lot of them are always on the lookout for fanart of IP's they like. :)
eilidh

Postby Enydimon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 pm

eilidh- Oh I know, I have nothing against fanart and I understand the benefits. I just sometimes get bored of drawing the same things and want a sizable chunk of interests to draw from. I have a few fantasy IPs and I don't want them to borrow too much from one source either.

Another single update for now. Again, I tried to slow down and render this out a little more and I specifically chose something with a lot of trees and plants. Still uncertain of how to break down the shapes and make them look like trees/plants and make it read. Tried to ref some Bierstadt to help out but I'm still a bit clueless.
Attachments
april2014environment14.jpg
april2014environment14.jpg (289.51 KiB) Viewed 10922 times
Enydimon

Postby eilidh » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:11 pm

One thing I spotted in this last study: you put in the brightest values seen in the reference, omit the darkest ones (mostly in between the trees, along the shore). That takes out some of the depth in the picture.

You could try different brushes, too; your studies have a very distinct shape because of the horizontal flat brush you're using, which is good for some areas but very limiting in others.

Would looking at looser landscape work help you better, perhaps? Something like Sargent's watercolours:

Keep going! :)
eilidh

Postby Meteorskies » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:33 am

Oh god I thought these last watercolors were from Eny XD
Well, forests aren't the easiest thing to paint quickly, so for color studies I think you can go with the flat brush, but it's true you could use some more variation in your shapes to add more interest to the picture.
Meteorskies
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Enydimon » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:50 pm

eilidh- Thanks for the crit and yeah that's one of the issues. I kept trying to add those darker values but I get too lost in the details and lose my place, and then nothing even resembles a tree so I keep painting over it. With bodies you can tell what part is what, but with a forest everything looks loosely identical. I have confidence that I can render out a mountain just fine but foliage is really rough. I might just have to do studies from guys like Sargent like you said.

On the last two, though, I was using different brushes in an attempt to figure out that texture. I've just mainly been using a flat brush for the other ones because they're colour/proportion studies and are a means to get a feel for landscapes/environments in general.

Meteorskies- lol that would have been pretty crazy. Yeah I don't even really care about being super detailed renderer or anything but I figure it's still better to improve it.
--
I haven't touched my pastels since they got here so I decided to do some quick thumbnail studies from Sargent paintings. A bit stressed out today so I'm trying to ease back into things. I apologize for the quality I need a better camera.
Attachments
pastelsargent.jpg
pastelsargent.jpg (230.15 KiB) Viewed 10891 times
Enydimon

Postby Enydimon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:12 pm

Some timed figures. Trying to get used to drawing bigger.
Attachments
timefigures1.jpg
timefigures1.jpg (342.85 KiB) Viewed 10880 times
Enydimon

Postby heysawbones » Fri May 02, 2014 5:28 pm

Hey, Eny - I'm going to be that butthole who rolls in and inquires about hard-edged brushes: do you use 'em? In some studies it looks like you do, but in others, it's difficult to discern depth/read objects as well as one might like, because things feel blurry. Maybe a good middle ground would be to simply tighten up focal areas(?). ed. Looks like someone already covered this!
heysawbones
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Kikindaface » Fri May 02, 2014 5:30 pm

i like to see a sketchbook with tons of drawing and beautiful watercolors, so i like your sketchbook ! keep it up !
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Enydimon » Fri May 02, 2014 6:40 pm

heysawbones - We've already discussed this but will do!

Kikindaface - Haha, thanks. Although those watercolours aren't mine, they belong to Sargent. I should probably do some watercolour stuff, though.

--
Conté pencil came in so I can get a little more detailed. Here's a longish pose to experiment.

I botched the breasts and the proportions are kind of weird, my bad. Part of it is that the news print is so large and I'm using my computer for reference so I'm only like a foot away from my subject matter with no flexibility. I will try to make do, though. Proportion is something I'm lacking in.
Attachments
contepencildrawing1.jpg
contepencildrawing1.jpg (388.31 KiB) Viewed 10844 times
Enydimon

Postby heysawbones » Fri May 02, 2014 6:53 pm

It's hard to say without the reference, but I actually don't think the boobies are that botched. (?)
heysawbones
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Tobes » Sat May 03, 2014 5:40 am

Hey Enydimon. One thing to keep in mind when drawing from images on a computer screen, is that when paper is in front of you, on a desk - you have to look up to study the image, and then back down to your paper to draw it. There is visual information that gets lost in the process here. In a life drawing class the subject will be studied on paper facing the form directly, so it is only little more than a glance really to see and study the figure and then transcribe the form to paper.
Just something to consider if you ever find yourself studying that way hope this makes sence...:S
Tobes
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Enydimon » Tue May 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Tobes - Yeah I think I understand what you mean. I wish I had access to a life drawing class, but maybe I could try some plein airs to get the same thing.

--
I have been admittedly a little bit lazy. My sleeping schedule is off and I'm still trying to organize things around so please bear with me. I will try not to make updates too far apart.

Last page of one of my sketchbooks. Decided to attempt the envelope method that Heysawbones taught me.
Attachments
envelopedrawing1.jpg
envelopedrawing1.jpg (240.22 KiB) Viewed 10802 times
Enydimon

Postby Enydimon » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:09 pm

Quick update. Sorry about the delays.

Some quick anatomy sketches.
Attachments