Eny's sketchbook

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Eny's sketchbook

Postby Enydimon » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:20 pm

Menze - Nice catch! Yeah, I can do the pose but it's definitely not a natural positioning that someone would fall into on their own most likely. I should probably just look up reference next time, especially since I've had trouble with that kind of positioning in the past. It is unfortunately too late but I appreciate the call out all the same.
---
Commission has been done for a while now and I've been a bit too lazy to push for my personal work. Only way to fix that is to just do the thing, though. I did download a cheap gumroad yesterday and went through that. I want to get into more gumroads but I'm always paranoid I'm gonna spend like 4-10$ on something that's gonna tell me something I already knew.

I took two of the thumbnails that I liked the most and tried to elaborate on them a little more. I'm leaning toward the top down one because it's more dynamic and less linear. I should probably make my next piece involving something other than trees, though, I feel it's becoming a repetitive crutch compositionally.

592.jpg
592.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

betrollcompn.jpg
betrollcompn.jpg (108.46 KiB) Viewed 1737 times

johannathumbs1.jpg
johannathumbs1.jpg (100.15 KiB) Viewed 1737 times
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby crankshaft » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:17 am

Hey man great stuff. For the thumb on the left I'm not sure if that's practical bc with a hand that big the orc must be massive, big enough to be seen easily. So making him hide seems a bit weird and creates an awkward story.
crankshaft
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Enydimon » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:05 pm

crankshaft - Yeah I agree. I think there's more I could fiddle around with the both of them.
---
My apologies for being an absolute butt. My sleep hasn't been well lately and I've been trying to fix it, but I still feel like I let myself slip too much. I haven't worked on the personal illustration stuff, just doodles and studies here and there. Snapped myself out of the lethargy tonight and did a quick Laurel D. Austen study I had been meaning to do.

I have one month left of my intended grind. I guess this is the best time to see how much portfolio stuff I can do that I wasn't able to get around to before. If by the end of all this I think I'll still need more work, that's fine. I have a lot of non-art things in my life to take care of too that I've put on the back burner. I'm fully aware that almost no one feels 100% prepared, though.

593.jpg
593.jpg (247.99 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

694.jpg
694.jpg (253.95 KiB) Viewed 1697 times

695.jpg
695.jpg (137.54 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Enydimon

Postby Zipfelzeus » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:15 am

Is the last one the study of laurel's work or a sketch? Either way your brushwork on this is really amazing! And looks like someone else found their way back to the trails of pencil. Sorry to hear about your sleep and that your personal life is meddling so much with your time.

Cool that you keep us updated here though! I always enjoy your stuff.

Also that lineart cellshaded sketch came out incredible! The lines really hold the color well! It almost deserves a neat little background!
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby antenn0 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:14 pm

I really love your paintings when it's dealing with isolated objects, I'd hire you for something that fits that style.

c:

Do you want to draw mechs?

To keep it short your drawings are not to a point where you could easily draw anything you see yet, like breathing. I know you can fiddle around and make it right but with the skill to draw anything you have enough visual information on, you will be much better equipped to do that from imagination.

the same applies for colors and values, if you have the skill to easily paint any given subject with enough visual information you just need to learn shapes and common colors.

e: you are not prepared
e2: you are not prepared
antenn0
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby crankshaft » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:47 am

Great stuff. Totally agree with you on life meddling in things. Ironically I've been sick lately and it's made realized the same thing as well, that we don't need to go 100 % all the time and that we're not machines. Anyways, let's see some more diversity in your stuff! Ie inorganic things. Keep it up!
crankshaft

Postby Enydimon » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Zipfelzeus - It's a study of her work. You can find the original here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BIdj_OBBxM7/?hl=en

And thanks! Maybe people will start commissioning me things with backgrounds, haha. In the meantime I'll have to do it myself.

antenn0
- I'm gonna take that as to mean that my full compositions are not so good, which is fair enough, lol. I agree.

As far as mechs go, I'm not someone who is a super ultra mech fan but I do think they're cool and knowing how to draw them would be fun. It would make for some good design language in general.

And yes I know exactly what you mean there. It's part of the reason why I wanted to steer toward doing line art again. My spatial proportions have gotten a bit better but they're still not that great. I can sit down, concentrate, and do more accurate drawings from observation but they still take a tremendous amount of time to get really accurate. It definitely doesn't feel as comfortable as it is for me to observe colours and replicate them for example. If my drawing ability were better then everything else would improve. I should just get hardcore about it like I did with colour studies.

Lol, I don't think I've seen a Sparta remix in a really long time. Well played.

crankshaft - Ugh, yeah, I just wish I felt like the interruptions and breaks were 'well deserved' after some hardwork. The positive is that if I get this stuff out of the way and stop procrastinating then it'll pay off in the long run and then I wont have to worry about it. The setback will be worth it. Sorry to hear about getting sick, though!

Yes! I plan to do some of that. I especially want to tackle stuff like interiors.
---
Thought I'd do a mini-dump. Not as much drawing as I would have wanted but I'll sort it out.

The figure in colour is a WIP of a commission that I'll probably have done tomorrow. I'll take a reference to it to make sure things look okay. Commissioner wanted their muscular lady character from an MMO they play and wanted something similar to one of Bouguereau's poses. Not so much the painting style, although it's been far too long since I've done a mastercopy from him.

596.jpg
596.jpg (86.43 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

597.jpg
597.jpg (174.21 KiB) Viewed 1630 times

rashkahcom3.jpg
rashkahcom3.jpg (111.61 KiB) Viewed 1630 times
Enydimon

Postby crankshaft » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:14 pm

Nooo don't procrastinate! That's a bad habit that can get the best of you. Time lost can never be regained. Anyways since you said you're struggling with proportions I think I can help.

You're a pretty good painter and have a good understanding of things like values, color, rendering etc. But I think that's also your weakness. With painting you probably see the world in terms of light (since that's what painting is) but with technical line drawing they are independent of lighting. You have to see everything with x ray vision. So with a car we generally see 2-3 wheels but when line drawing you have to see all 4 wheels. You can't hide things in shadow or imply things.

So here's what you can do: Try drawing simple mechanical objects like hinges from the net or from your house. You can use photos or from life. Try drawing thru the object using your own perspective then try rotating the hinge in a different position while maintaining proportions, perspective etc. This is very hard so don't stress if the result looks ugly or if perspective is off. This is an exercise to build your 3d sense and spatial awareness. In turn that improves your design bc you'll have a better understanding of placement. This also forces you to think more like a designer and less like an artist.
crankshaft

Postby Will-Marton » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:25 pm

That portrait and those character commissions came out so killer!

Have you thought about applying at Blizzard at some time in the future? Your style is definitely going in that direction. If you really focused on a portfolio for them, I could definitely see you getting in there at some point! :]
Will-Marton
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Enydimon » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:19 pm

crankshaft - Yeah I was thinking the same. When I do line drawings, things still feel a bit too flat and doing some studies where I draw through would probably be useful. I'll try the mechanical object thing. Also found a blog where they post sketch designs for products that I've found useful for breaking things down http://barkeralexander.com/#_=_

Will-Marton - Thanks!

I actually did once apply in 2011 because I know someone who works at their mobile department and he had to fill some quota of trying to hire people or whatever. I went in knowing I wouldn't get the job at all, but it was something to try. Probably would have had more luck with whatever the HTML position was.

But I'd love to do a Hearthstone card, I know they outsource some of the art for that. I've been to the Blizzard campus as well and done a tour and it seems like a really cool place to work at, but I don't know if I can stomach a place that effectively only has one season. I get Seasonal Affective Disorder in the summer instead of the winter and right now I'm just so done with the current weather. I think if I was offered a position I would try it, though. It's a tough one because I do love the company.
---
Didn't mean to wait so long to make another update, but I finished three paintings last week. Two commissions and one personal piece I guess... even though it's a tribute for someone else. Current self-crit: Aside from learning how to draw through/add more volume to forms, I need to separate my values better. Pretty happy with how much I've loosened up on painting, though.

Will see what I can get done this week. I feel so much better about getting creative work done instead of being trapped in study hell. I think studies are sometimes hard to gauge skill too because even a really ugly one can teach you a lot, but the knowledge doesn't always make itself apparent until you actually apply it. There's also another element of learning how to actually finish things that I've found so important.

mockingwind.jpg
mockingwind.jpg (187.76 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

taranzhu2-1.jpg
taranzhu2-1.jpg (276.81 KiB) Viewed 1550 times

metzenpn.jpg
metzenpn.jpg (141.12 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Enydimon

Postby antenn0 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:28 am

do you know that feel when you look at areas on your painting and it looks wrong and you can like presque voir l'erreur but not quite be able to fix it?

I always go to my russian painter guru and she'll point it out yada yada but then because she has more experience she knows exactly how to fix it or just says yeh I wouldn't leave it like that you have to give it more depth/draw out the shapes/MOVE THAT DAMN EYE iT'S OFF BALANCE AGAIN.

It's such a quick and dirty solution and sometimes you think like ehh i dont waNna fix that even though you see it and then your painting guide will point it out to you and if you don't fix it you're going to be a fuckup for life.

idk where i wanted to go with it but nice stuff Je l'aime bien. Except that weird magic coming out of the book.<destructive criticism because I won't tell you why.
antenn0
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Maron » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:39 pm

I really like your clean colours and what it looks like, very ''rare'' brushstrokes. They add a really nice touch to your style.

I hope RL won't be too much in the way for you, keep working hard, you can do it! Ya not much of a critique, I know, but you seem to be doing really well to my eye. xD Do perspective, yes. See, I can help.
Sketchbook
https://www.artstation.com/artist/maron
Maron

Postby crankshaft » Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:45 pm

Hey man great work as usual. Unfortunately I don't have much crit as these look pretty good. For that bear guy I do think his right hand could be separated from those spikes more in terms of value. Sometimes I see pros using some artistic license and adding a super thin rim light to separate them. You could also add some occlusion shadows where his fingers are touching that ball thing.
crankshaft

Postby Enydimon » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:07 pm

antenn0 - Lol, I get exactly what you mean.

Thanks for the feedback!

Maron - Thanks! And yes, gotta get back on that perspective train, thanks for the reminder.

crankshaft - Yeah I think you're right about that. I think I could have done a bit more to make things pop.

---
Didn't mean to poof for so long. I was drawing and working on stuff, but the personal piece I was working on the following week I gave up on around 70% and didn't care much about feedback. Everything else were traditional life sketches and exercises and I'm honestly feeling a bit burnt out on going back and forth between my phone and uploading since I already have to do that on a near daily basis for coach related stuff.

Anyway, here's the inktobers so far and a commission I finished. I've been digging into doing perspective exercises again but they're just boring basic stuff like trying to fit a circle into a square, etc... there's way too many pages. I know I normally upload almost everything, shitty or not, but it's really just a lot of the same boring stuff.

taochongpn.jpg
taochongpn.jpg (314.66 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

inktober2016week1pn.jpg
inktober2016week1pn.jpg (421.63 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
Enydimon

Postby Enydimon » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:41 pm

I'll get to commenting to people soon, I've just had a really rough week. Still have an interest in being active in this community, etc...

598.jpg
598.jpg (190.28 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

599.jpg
599.jpg (149.06 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

600.jpg
600.jpg (109.51 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

taranzhu3.jpg
taranzhu3.jpg (226.87 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

inktober2016week2pn.jpg
inktober2016week2pn.jpg (476.1 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
Enydimon

Postby Enydimon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:52 pm

I'm tired af right now, will comment on other sbs tomorrow for sure.

Accidentally drew too many characters facing the same way this week. Also running out of steam and ideas. For a while I was just drawing gifts for friends to fill in the days I couldn't think of anything but I'm starting to run out.

Also been keeping up with perspective drills and other drawing stuff, but again, it's just annoying to upload and edit that much volume.

inktober2016week3pn.jpg
inktober2016week3pn.jpg (420.44 KiB) Viewed 1286 times
Enydimon

Postby crankshaft » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:19 am

Hey man I feel ya on burning out. Here are some tips I came up with. I would love to one day have a youtube channel where I share advice. I have many more but they're quite lengthy so here's a start:

The 80 % rule:

Whenever you are 80 % done your current studies/pieces start figuring out what to work on next rather than waiting until you 100% done. This prevents you from falling into a dangerous rabbit hole of spending several useless hours of figuring out what to draw next rather than actually drawing.

-This ensures a smooth flow of work, similar to being a real professional. It's similar to pulling a chain with 2 hands instead of 1.

-This builds a nice linear progression of your growth bc everything you did /do leads to the next piece. Ie you do a car drawing then realize that you struggle with perspective so you do a perspective study next.

-Most of the sketchbooks I see are quite erratic ie a master study there, a still life here, a study on ellipses here etc. Nothing wrong with that but it can be hard to connect the dots and that can lead to premature burn out/frustration, bc nothing adds up.

-This also builds confidence bc you never run out of things to do (and reduces wasted time). It also indentifies the skills you need to know based on your interests rather than trying to do everything at once. Ie If you like cars then do a still life on metal toys over fruit. Plus this ensures that when you do a study you quickly apply what you just learned, so you retain that knowledge much better.

Do work based on your energy level/concentration:

You can't prevent burnout but there are many ways to work with it. If something is too hard to do then move down to the next easiest thing and so on. Try not to plow through (unless necessary like deadlines) bc you can lose traction/objectivity and spin your wheels. So your efficiency can drop bc in 1 hour you're only getting 20-30min of actual progress while the rest of the time you might of been noodling or licking (making blind marks).

In general I recommend doing anything hard earlier in the day (when you have the most energy) and gradually do easier things as the time passes. Hope this helps!
crankshaft

Postby Enydimon » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:30 pm

crankshaft - Hey man, thanks for the tips! I'm doing much better but you're definitely highlighting a reoccurring problem and it's probably just time I make better preparations.
---
Inktober's done and here are my thoughts on this years:

I'm glad that the quality is much more consistent and that it's obvious that I've improved. At the same time I let the quality dip too much when I was not feeling so great. I also had to rely on drawing people gifts or asking for ideas more than I would have liked.

Poses and forms were wonky and unnatural. I should be aware to not just hit a deadline in the future but also to put in a good effort too. And while I can think of more things to critique than praise, I feel pretty confident in what needs to be done to continue improvement.

inktober2016week4pn1.jpg
inktober2016week4pn1.jpg (412.45 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
Enydimon

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:01 am

I wish I was I had more time to be around here! Your inktober stuff is fantastic. I'm doing some sketching in with pens right now and it is not easy. You really learn just how shitty you are at drawing haha. I'm kinda amused to see though that we both have very similar problems. Mainly hands and some stiffynis with our poses. You're doing a much better job with lines though.

Your pandarians are getting better and better with each one! I'm really impressed with your line work and cell shading! The one from October 8th is my favourite so far.

Hope you're doing well otherwise!
Zipfelzeus

Postby Enydimon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:37 pm

zipfelzeus - Thanks, man. And I completely agree, it totally unearths all your weaknesses with regards to draftsmanship. I think we can both solve our awkward problems by just planning more carefully, though. We can do it. We can do the thing!
---
Again, didn't mean to be absent so much. I think the issue is that I need to make this apart of my daily routine again or else I'm just not gonna keep up with it. Even the days I wasn't posting on here, I'd still check in anyway and I think that's generally what makes participation easier.

Anyway, just thought I'd upload a few of the smaller studies that I liked from the last couple of days (reference and memory), some sketches, the start of a letter form challenge (still real sloppy), and a commission I finished last week. I'm debating on whether or not I should keep posting the commissions as it's atm always from the same client and he's just been wanting variations of all the thumbnails he likes. I'm still stuck in that hell where it's super easy to draw for other people but expressing what I like or finding it is hard.

16.jpg
16.jpg (125.56 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

17.jpg
17.jpg (189.13 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

601.jpg
601.jpg (258.59 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

602.jpg
602.jpg (327.23 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

tsusha2small1.png
tsusha2small1.png (180.43 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
Enydimon

Postby crankshaft » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Hey man awesome work. For the 2rd knight pic you can try varying the line weights/curve thicknesses more. Ie Thin lines where there is light and thicker for shadowed forms.

Regarding what you like I think one reason you're struggling is bc most of the stuff you do are based heavily from photos or fan art. Try doing visual library studies of things from life that you like. Ie Animals such as bears or wolves since you like orcs.

Then get in the habit of doing thumbs of imaginary subjects referencing from those studies. Focus on problem solving. Concept art is 95% rough thinking stuff and 5 % polish. Basically get in the habit of really thinking on paper. Hope this helps.
crankshaft

Postby Taylor-Payton » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:28 am

Hey, Eny! It's been a bit since I've last seen your work, but going through the last couple pages has been a treat.

You have a really solid and appealing way of shading your drawings, and the inktober stuff was some of my favorite.

I feel you on how hard it is to keep up with an SB. It's so worth it in terms of growth, but if it's not a daily thing then it doesn't happen. I pretty much quit FB and other social media, I'm aiming to chill here and CD to keep making work and studies.

Still, your stuff's evolving, and I really love the way you did the black orb in that Panda-dude commission. I know it's a small thing, but for some reason it really struck me visually.

Hope to see more soon.
WWW.POWERPAINTERS.ORG <- My Tutorial/Resource site for sharing process.
My Sketchboooookkk: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic. ... 4&start=30
Taylor-Payton
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby chazillah » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:02 pm

whoaaa Eny you're doing great *_* so glad you're sticking with it. the perspective is getting solid. dayum!
chazillah

Postby Enydimon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:26 pm

crankshaft - Thanks for the tips! I'll keep those in mind.

Even if it were just fan art I got really passionate about drawing, though, that would still be preferable. I just want something I can go to again when I'm not grinding or doing work for.

Taylor-Payton - Thanks! I feel you on the social media thing, although I've been terrible with keeping up with mine atm. It would probably benefit me a bit more on the commission front if I were more active, but I do kind of prefer this forum as well.

chazillah - Thanks! Now I just gotta get on doing more perspective related things.
---
Smaller dump here. I think I'll keep the updates to once or twice a week and try to comment more frequently.

Looking at that latest pandaren commission now I'm worried the torso looks a bit too stretched out. I think I'd like to get better at being more consistent and on model.

18.jpg
18.jpg (257.73 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

20.jpg
20.jpg (105.53 KiB) Viewed 1024 times

tsusha3.jpg
tsusha3.jpg (218.39 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Enydimon

Postby chazillah » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:52 pm

yeah I'd say the torso is slightly long. *_* super fun dynamism you have going on, I'm jelly of that. my figures are so stiff still! ugh!

are you wanting to work on improving your female faces? they're struggling a little in terms of placement, I could give you some pointers if you are seeking to improve this area :)
chazillah

Postby crankshaft » Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Great stuff. For the tsusha guy the composition feels very uncomfortable with the lack of negative around his sides/arms. I don't now if it's just me but the ball thing is really distracting from his face and I'm not really sure what the focal is supposed to be, bc they're almost equally competing.
crankshaft

Postby Enydimon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:34 pm

chazillah - Always looking for ways to improve my human faces! Go nuts. I really need to give them more attention.

crankshaft - Yeah, I should probably have given it more breathing room. As for focal points, I actually did have more contrast surrounding the face before but the commissioner didn't like it and wanted it drawn back to where it is now. On a personal level I agree with you, though.
---
Meant to post more toward the middle of the week but I got a bit distracted with other things and I wanted a bit more content. Mostly just sketches and goofing around, it's becoming easier to do that so I count that as a win. Also recently got through a 160 page sketchbook that I mainly did perspective drawings and a lot of experimentation with forms in.

I'm trying to work more on getting better at making game art asset type stuff, which is why I drew the books. The first one on the left was me just using reference of regular books and the one on the right is reffed from stylized games. I'm still trying to navigate how to handle drawing this in perspective, but it's getting better I think.

Also if you see any cyrillic on my art from here on out it's because I'm learning Russian and trying to be more immersive with the learning process.

21.jpg
21.jpg (177.8 KiB) Viewed 965 times

22.jpg
22.jpg (203.14 KiB) Viewed 965 times

23.jpg
23.jpg (113.01 KiB) Viewed 965 times

24.jpg
24.jpg (260.36 KiB) Viewed 965 times
Enydimon

Postby Othrandir » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:12 am

Awesome progress! Love the characters :)
Othrandir
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Enydimon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:31 pm

Othrandir - Thanks, I appreciate it.
---
Been working a lot on my mental health lately and it's been helping a lot, I feel like I have way more time now even with the routine being largely the same. Funny how anxiety and stress have a tendency to obstruct your perception like that.

Even so, I feel like on a consistent level I haven't done nearly as much as I could have this week. I am having a lot more fun though so I think that will help with fostering better habits.

Lot of the perspective stuff is just me freehanding and using stuff I already know, I still need to go back and review how to construct things properly again.

25.jpg
25.jpg (78.38 KiB) Viewed 819 times

27.jpg
27.jpg (230.24 KiB) Viewed 819 times

28.jpg
28.jpg (135.23 KiB) Viewed 819 times

29.jpg
29.jpg (197.06 KiB) Viewed 819 times

30.jpg
30.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 819 times

603.jpg
603.jpg (82.91 KiB) Viewed 819 times

604.jpg
604.jpg (94.95 KiB) Viewed 819 times

605.jpg
605.jpg (132.79 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Enydimon

Postby Luna » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:29 pm

cool perspective works, Eny~! enjoying look at your work. And ey~ wonderful to See you are doing more about the females' faces perspective
the size and shape of the cars looks good, i can imagine how nice it will be when this kind of vehicle works have finished! @v@b
Keep going!
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks