Commenting and critiques

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Commenting and critiques

Postby chazillah » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:44 pm

Read this great thread by Aragah.
I know we're small and not the most active of places...but I don't think it's a good excuse to be shallow with our critical thinking skills!!

TLDR: When making a comment on someone's sketchbook, give some crit! Even if you don't think you're "qualified" (there is no such thing imo, i've received some of my best critiques from a friend who isn't even in the art industry), do your best to reflect upon what you're seeing in the person's work and express it somehow.

You don't need to be a dick about it, but it builds your critical thinking skills and furthers your own knowledge. It will also encourage the community to improve and work harder.

Let's work hard to evolve!

We aren't massive like ConceptArt nor do we have the 50k members like Level Up on Facebook...but I think that we can take advantage of the quality time we can give one another. This place doesn't focus on likes, shares, stars, etc. It focuses on raw improvement, and critique is apart of that! So let's move away from the fluffy cotton-candy comments and start pushing one another critically.

best of luck permanoobers!
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Re: PLEASE READ: Commenting and critiques

Postby Luna » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:09 am

I have read that thread Aragah Sir wrote it! Really Good thinking and point!!!!!!!
I totally agree with once Imba suggested "constructive criticism "~ Also I think learning to crits others helps and improves the way of the eyes to see the art deeply!!!
4 paws up for Liking this Thread!!!!!!!! <3 ^_^
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Shad » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:53 pm

I actually felt a bit like a jerk a few months ago when I was more active, and toned down my crits a bit. Not that I was harsh or anything, but I noticed almost everybody else was way more encouraging and way less picking at things. I still try to find balance in things.
There are threads where I can juste marvel in awe and drop a word to OP to boost him because I have nothing else to say, but most of the time, even in pro work way ahead of my level, I can pick at a thing or two but I'm not always comfortable doing so... Hmm... Balance balance !

But I'm glad to read this as it's a feeling I had in the past few months. :)

(Also, I love the fact we're "small". I spend days lurking in there and I love communities where everybody more or less knows everybody ! )
Shad
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Siji » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:59 am

Yep, that makes sense, its better to give fewer comments, but comments that are valuable :) Even though its not that easy to give constructive criticism all the time, we should try to do it more!

The " small " community feel great also to me, feels more connected to everyone after a while than on all those bigger groups.
Siji
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Jem » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Do you know what happenes to hannes old sketchbook on concept art.org the images are no longer there?
nothin much to say critiques would be nice thank you. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2110&p=43490&sid=cf69ba35aebb7ca158befe1e2f048f9b#p43490
Jem
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Raskolnikov » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:48 pm

Oh, that's quite true, even if I'm new here, I'll try my best to do so.
Raskolnikov
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Raskolnikov » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:05 am

Jem wrote:Do you know what happenes to hannes old sketchbook on concept art.org the images are no longer there?

I guess something is wrong with ConceptArt's archive, almost all the old of sketchbooks down there disappeared. Hope they'd fix it.
Raskolnikov

Postby Alberto_ » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:18 pm

I really like the concept of a small community, I like CA.org but it's way bigger and it's easy to get lost.
Alberto_
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Nowio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:48 am

I keep noticing that I am being logged off when I click on the sketchbook links in ones signature... has anyone else have this problem? :/
Nowio

Postby Vielmond » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:17 pm

@Nowio
It's a known issue. I sent a PM with a possible fix for this and a related issue, hopefully we'll see it fixed. You can read more about it in this thread (following this link will also log you off, sorry).
Vielmond

Postby Zearthus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:20 pm

Hopefully there will be a fix for this
Zearthus

Postby Nowio » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:53 pm

@Vielmond Thanks for the explanation! :)
Nowio

Postby Arteriorrhexis » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Oh man I'm glad you posted this. Ah I've done this too many times in which I forget to give critiques because I feel like I'm not qualified enough. Damn I should've read this earlier. :(

Big apologies to anyone I've missed critiquing on. Next time I will try my best to be more thoughtful and constructive before commenting/critiquing.
Arteriorrhexis

Postby FISH » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:34 am

my personal system for critiquing is something like this:
make a general opening statement, give the critical information, give the positive information. i think it's important to give the positive stuff last so that they don't walk away with a bitter taste in their mouth if they're not particularly good at taking criticism.

also if anyone wants critique, i'm happy to give it :) send me a message and i'll definitely give you something if you want it! :D
FISH
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Re: Commenting and critiques

Postby Cam » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:55 pm

Being encouraging is nice, but I feel like it's also worthwhile to develop a thick skin when you receive a rather offensive critique that's none-the-less constructive.

Not that I think people should be rude for the sake of being rude, just that I feel like people shouldn't have to worry about making sure they're coming across as "nice", like it's a prerequisite for presenting a critique. Being an artist isn't all about technical skill, it's also about philosophy and mindset.
My sketchbook

Blah, blah, blah, structure
Cam

Postby Alberto_ » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:32 pm

Giving a crict can be hard when developing the skills, but this also makes a rather good excersice to develope such skills, like spotting composition, values, character design, ect. So I think this community can handle difficult contructive feedback
Alberto_

Postby Uiriamu » Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:25 am

Don't be sorry for saying that you enjoy someone's work. You don't exactly have a limited amount of comments you can give. I can understand if there's an insane amount of sugarcoating everything and asspatting everyone for the sake of it, or rather "for being nice". Try at least to give some critique, no matter how good nor bad you are. Like Chazilla said it's good for you as well, it's a win win situation really. It's way nicer when someone is being honest, took the time and effort to analyze someone elses image, I don't see how that's rude in any way. Sometimes it's hard to get past your own ego, but just do it. Kill your darling peepz, real critiques are never evil, they're valuable as f***. If it's just dick-talk then who cares? You can easily spot it and disregard it.

However though, if you find yourself unable to critique something that you really like, I honestly don't see the problem of simply commenting and expressing what you like about it. Just keep in mind, everyone here wants to improve. Give and take, spread some love.
Uiriamu

Postby tda » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:10 am

"However though, if you find yourself unable to critique something that you really like, I honestly don't see the problem of simply commenting and expressing what you like about it."

Yeah, i agree with this statement. I've been away from this forum for a bit because i've been slacking, but finding more time to draw lately has brought me back and i've noticed this place is very quiet compared to what it used to be like. This could just be because the place has wound down a little from back when it started and was quite active, but after reading this thread i can't help but think this crit thing might have something to do with it. Wanting all posts to be constructive and give good feedback seems like a good idea in principle but i think cutting the chit chat is cutting the community side of things tbh.
tda

Return to Sketchbooks