Ruthan's sketchbook - On the way to be a concept artist!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Ruthan's sketchbook - On the way to be a concept artist!

Postby Ruthan » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm

Hello everybody!
So, yeah, I think I should introduce myself a bit at first.
I'm 17 years old guy from Poland, who wants to be a... yeah! you're right! concept artist!
I was drawing when I was a child for some time, I even was going onto art classess, but that was a looong time ago (11-12 years), so I don't remember anything, and even teacher tried to teach me something, I couldn't understand, but I had some basics of how to hold a pencil and I had a good control on it. Everybody was telling me I had some kind of talent, so I did what I thought I'm good at. Then I quitted from art for a few years, just wasn't really interested in that, I thought there were better things to do. Computer games were more important >.< . Now, for a half of a year, I'm back into it, I don't see any other way to go in my life, nothing's really interesting, so I chose to get back to drawing and now I'm here. Probably not that far in my journey, long way before me, dis is goin to be hard.
The reason why I'm creating this sketchbook is motivation. I hope I will be willing to draw more (now about 2-3 hours per day) if somebody will be interested in looking at my sketches and speedpaintings (finished pieces is not what I think I'm ready for, after sketching out something I mostly give up because I see many mistakes and I'm loosing my idea to what to do with those lines). And also, I saw many very good artists here. Staring at better work than mine is a good motivation for me, so I will stay there for some time.
Woah, that was so long introducing, sorry for language mistakes.

TL;DR - Hi. I'm beginner, don't eat me.
Here's some stuff that I created in last week, most of it is not worth showing or I didn't save it ( 400 GB HDD :C ), all of them are reference studies. Tomorrow I will post 3 color practices. I WILL! I'M SURE I WILL!

Attachments
Landscape practice 2.jpg
Landscape practice 2.jpg (323.08 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
portrait studies.jpg
portrait studies.jpg (78 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
Ruthan
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Ruthan's sketchbook - On the way to be a concept artist!

Postby Ruthan » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:27 am

The 3 color practice pictures I told I will make today. Here they are! I don't know why but I can't post some images as attachments. Anybody knows why? I'm putting this one on imgur, same as I did with astronaut painting yesterday.

Attachments
penguin.jpg
penguin.jpg (168.2 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
telephone practice.jpg
This one is still life drawing
telephone practice.jpg (120.11 KiB) Viewed 1624 times
Ruthan

Postby Ruthan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:53 am

Yay, finally got my smartphone back so I can upload some of my traditional drawings. They're not older than a week. ;3
Attachments
still life.jpg
still life.jpg (74.8 KiB) Viewed 1595 times
Ruthan

Postby Ruthan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:58 am

Next small update with a few sketches. ;)

reference - Image imagination - Image
reference - Image
faces from reference, rest imagination - Image
Ruthan

Postby Kerro Perro » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:17 am

Hi Ruthan! You've a great start there, looks like you're doing all the right things! I like that you bounce back and forth between ref and imagination wich is a very solid way to build up your skills and that you're focusing on the fundamentals. Good stuff!

The only i see right now with your digital studies is that you need to focus on your edges more, i can't post any links yet but googling some info on that would advisable. For now i just ripped this old paintover off an old conceptart dot org thread:

Paintover01.jpg
Paintover01.jpg (205.03 KiB) Viewed 1558 times

Keep at it! ;)

Edit: oh and nvm the "use this brush" thing on the paintover, imo any brush is fine as long it can make a hard edge.
Kerro Perro

Postby Ruthan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:31 am

@Kerro Perro
Thank you for your kind and helpful words. ;3 You're right with those edges, I need to work on my digital stuff, but I will focus on it in maybe a half of a year when I'll get a better computer and better workplace, with the stuff that I've got now I got frustrated very quick, so my drawings are very... loose? that's the right word? Oh, and I can't do anything from imagination digitally, because I never was painting in traditional way, only drawing, so I have big lack of step-by-step process of painting. As example, I'm making something to the half, then I'm lost, don't know how to move on, so I "throw out" every workpiece. And also - planes! planes! PLANES! That's what I feel I need to work on now. Really big thanks man. ;)
Ruthan

Postby Ruthan » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:46 am

Yay! Finished my first sketchbook. 100 pages - started = 4th january 2015; finished = 1st august 2015.
Attachments
landscape practice 5.jpg
landscape practice 5.jpg (479.18 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
WP_20150801_19_19_49_Pro.jpg
reference
WP_20150801_19_19_49_Pro.jpg (349.75 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
WP_20150801_19_19_37_Pro.jpg
car imagination, gesture reference
WP_20150801_19_19_37_Pro.jpg (296.3 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
WP_20150801_19_19_14_Pro.jpg
poses reference, rest imagination
WP_20150801_19_19_14_Pro.jpg (286.64 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
WP_20150801_19_18_58_Pro.jpg
imagination
WP_20150801_19_18_58_Pro.jpg (269.43 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
Ruthan

Postby Ruthan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:00 am

And here are again some practices and one... bigger, but unfinished thing (and it will stay like that... forever! And I know, lightsource in the center looks really bad in this piece). I feel like I should try to make one bigger project and see how I will deal with that.
Attachments
practice.jpg
practice.jpg (436.93 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
city at night.jpg
city at night.jpg (506.49 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
Ruthan

Postby kabou » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:34 am

Hey Ruthan, so nice to see so many motivated people around my age here. Congrats on finishing your sketchbook, always a good feel, isn't it? Try to finish it even faster now and you'll improve much faster as well. I don't know who was it, but I remember one artist saying that if you wanna be a concept artist, you need to draw at least 4-8 hours a day to become good.. so yeah that's some frustrating motivation for you :D I think your painting skills are pretty good, do some values studies if you haven't already and focus on the form and shapes. I understand your problem with finishing pieces, I've been having that for a long time as well and still do.. don't be afraid to use reference, search for some inspiration and even if you sometimes give up, you'll at least find out where are you missing out and learn it. Also if you have time you can check out this video it's maybe little old but that stuff is really really useful. Anyway I hope this was helpful and please keep drawing and posting here, I'm looking forward to see your progress!
kabou
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Ruthan » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:02 am

@kabou

Yeah, seeing people in the same age there is a big kick of motivation, I was thinking about trying to make some kind of internet meeting (google hangouts or skype, or something else) for artist around our age. Practicing english, being in group of people on the same or very close step in their career, only pluses! ;) Finishing sketchbook was a really nice feeling, that's true, the next one will be filled in this year, I promise! Being a concept artist requires tons of work, it's true. I know I'm not doing enough, but well, what to do, life isn't only about drawing (but mostly is!). At least I'm trying to gradually stretch the time spent on drawing daily.
I think my painting skills sucks like hell, but it's because I'm not focusing on that right now. Also, thanks for the video and your words, they were really helpful. ;)

@topic
I had a big break from this forum. Just because I've had some other things to do in my life. BUT NOW IT'S ALL GOOD.
I'm posting these practices on imgur, because there is 11 of them and the upload system on this forum is pretty uncomfortable for me. Ofc it's not all what I've done through all this time on being unpresent. :P

http://imgur.com/a/FZ76B
Ruthan

Postby Uyeno » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am

Aye guess who's 17 too! Dude the google hangouts thing would seem fun. Iv never done that type of thing before with members online. Youre doing everything the right way and remember that the only way to improve is to draw a lot. CONSISTENTLY. 2 to 3 hours is okay but dont be afraid to bump it up when you feel really into it. Or further in your journey. Keep up the work man ! Also your english is pretty good!
Uyeno
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Ruthan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello again! After a small break, I decided to come back. Hopefully for a longer period of time. Also, here are few of my newest pieces.
Ruthan

Return to Sketchbooks