Dead Parts' Sketchbook - Enter the Void

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Dead Parts' Sketchbook - Enter the Void

Postby dead_parts » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Permanoobers,

I'm currently a 24 year old duder residing in the UK. I like long walks on the beach and chocolate digestives.

I found this place today and it seems kinda swell. So, I'm jumping onboard to see what happens.

I'm a freelance animator / artist type. I graduated from an animation degree 3 years ago and I've been working freelance full time for about 2 years. Recently I've been trying to move away from corporate animation work towards traditonal arts / illustration / concept art / film making. I also teach part time on animation courses at two universities in the UK which is great fun.

I used to frequent CA.org back in the day until it went to shit, and I've been looking for a place like this for ages. Loving the purity of a forum dedicated to critique (although we'll talk more about that later.)

I'm looking to improve, so this seems like a good place to start. Most importantly, I'm really keen to be part of a community again. There are few things more lovely than some honest, open talk about what makes art good and bad. Critique is a good fuel for any artist.

I'm typing this at 3am in the morning, so rather than post new sketchbook stuff, here are a few things from my past.

Best,

dead_parts
Attachments
untitled_01.jpg
untitled_01.jpg (316.62 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
untitled_02.jpg
untitled_02.jpg (352.69 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
untitled_03.jpg
untitled_03.jpg (201.7 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
untitled_04.jpg
untitled_04.jpg (246.96 KiB) Viewed 4065 times
dead_parts
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Dead Parts' Sketchbook - Enter the Void

Postby Lodratio » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:33 am

Welcome. Your paintings have a nice feeling of atmosphere to them, and those sillouettes look pretty neat as well. I also saw the mushroom thing on your website, and I'd love to see some more of your animations.
Lodratio
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Siji » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:08 am

Hi, welcome there! Interesting color palette on the first ones, Like it :) Im looking forward to seeing more of your stuff! What kind of art are you precisely moving toward ? Got any artist names or something ? :)
Siji

Postby Ruthan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:07 am

Awesome blur effect on the first painting. ;) I hope to see more of your work in future! For how long are you drawing?
Ruthan
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Colour Studies

Postby dead_parts » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi PermaNoobers,

Thanks all for the kind comments. After a few days looking at the site, I'm really hoping this will become a thriving community. It doesn't have to be biggest place on the web, it just has to be passionate. I'll try my best to post regularly and give feedback whenever I can. Let this be the start of a new stage in my work.

--------

@Lodratio - Thanks man. I will certainly post animation work when I can. I've taken some time away form the animation world recently as I just don't have any ideas that I feel I need to make yet. But I am keen to start testing some 2d animation ideas out soon. And documenting them in a place like this would be awesome.

@Siji - Thanks dude. I'm not really looking to be like a specific artist. I guess I'm largely just trying to find my own way. Mainly I'm just trying to be the best artist I can be. I love a broad range of disciplines, so I'm all about improving in all fields. But at the moment, illustration and painting are key. I want to make an animated film soon, but I feel like I need to develop my natural drawing style so that it becomes a pure, honest form of expressing an image.

@Ruthan - Thank you :) I've been drawing since I was a child, it's always been my love. But whilst studying at uni (CG Animation) I drew less than I'd hoped. So, these days I'm trying to get fully back into my work. I spent a huge amount of time working on digital outputs (animation / digital sculpting etc) so now I'm ready to go back to my fine art roots.

--------

So, finally, here's some recent work from the sketchbook. I've been following a lot of Nathan Fowkes' work and have been blown away by his colour studies. Colour has always been a bit of a weakness for me, so I've been trying out these little tests using acrylic to explore the possibilities of a very limited colour pallette. In this case, simply a contrasting blue and orange, mixed with one another (or black + white for value.)

colour_thumbs_01.jpg
colour_thumbs_01.jpg (492.51 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

colour_thumbs_02.jpg
colour_thumbs_02.jpg (452.28 KiB) Viewed 3989 times

It's been really nice to get back to traditional stuff. It allows you to refresh but also reminds you of important differences. For example, the nature of a physical brushstroke gives you so much uniqueness. Digital painting is all about the struggle to not look like every other digital painting. With traditional, it just happens in the nature of your painting.

I'm not at home this week, but when I'm back I'll get more of these completed and uploaded. Meanwhile, I'll get some sketchbook pages completed and uploaded soon.

Best,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby Sagittarius-A-star » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:38 am

Hey, dead parts, welcome to the forum!! :) You got some cool atmosphere in those paintings. The main thing, I think, is that you need to push your paintings further. Finish them more. :) But you have some nice moody atmospheres and interesting composition going. Neat silhouettes, too. Again, the feeling I get is that you just need to keep pushing your work further. Which you seem to be doing. :D

Ooh, traditional painting. I haven't planned on touching those 'cause I don't have paints or a place to make a mess and my Wacom is what gave me the freedom to learn to paint. :) But maybe someday I will! Your color studies look pretty interesting. I don't really know what to say 'cause I don't know anything about color yet. :[ BTW, how did you photograph those studies? The colors came out pretty well. :)

I totally appreciate traditional, not many people around here seem to use actual paint. I don't use paint, as I said, but I love traditional drawing materials like pencils and pens. :P
"To learn to draw is to draw and draw and draw."- Andrew Loomis

Sketchbook!- I love advice and crit!!
Crimson Sketchbook
Sagittarius-A-star
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Raskolnikov » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

Hey mate. Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook.
What a sense of good color you have in your studies. I would love to see more, especially complete ones.
Raskolnikov

Postby Kerro Perro » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:18 am

Hey dead parts, other new duder to these parts. Dig all the stuff you wrote, i often trawl through old CA threads from it's heyday and really want to have that stimulating ass kicking environment. I see you're already tackling color very well with those acrylics but have tried out some palet building stuff like gamut mapping? I cant post links yet but its in Color and Light and Gurney has a bunch more stuff about it on his blog. I tried a while ago and although i still struggled with my values i have to say using a limited pallet way a really comfortable way to work.

Look forward to seeing more!
Kerro Perro

Sketchbook Doodles / Art Direction Exploration

Postby dead_parts » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:52 pm

Hey Permanoobers,

Thanks all for the encouraging words and welcoming response.

@Sagittarius-A-star - You are totally right dude. One of my biggest problems is producing complete work that I can put in a portfolio. Partly I like that, but I should work harder to produce a set of finished visuals. I think it stems from my animation work. The early stages of any art project are always exciting and full of life. It is the stage of possibility space and essense. I worry that trying to work and work to produce clean things will kill it. But I'll push some stuff further. Especially in regards to some studies which I have planned. And thanks for all the other lovely comments man :) I'm glad the traditional work is inspiring to you. You should totally give it a go. My office from where I work is pretty small, but acrylics are really accomadting. Just a small pallette and a sketchbook is all you really need.

@Raskolnikov - No problem Rasko, you've got some good stuff going on. I hope the comments helped. Currently away from my flat so painting is down at the mo, but when I'm back home I'll post more.

@Kerro Perro - God yes! Those old CA threads were the bomb. I grew up on that stuff but joined the party too late. At the moment, I'm loving the spirit of this place. It seems small, but that isn't so bad. And people seem keen to take part. In all honestly, there isn't much out there for artists looking for critique. This is what I fucking live for. I want to spend life with discussion, debate and critique. Especially when it comes to art. I could moan for hours about this stuff, but I think critique hardens you. It makes you judge your own work with honesty. I work with a lot of students, and a huge amount are never encouraged to critique or be critiqued. And then they enter the world with no confidence. They can be destroyed by a simple comment. It's not just art, more self analysis would be good for the world as a whole. Let's face it, we are all flawed fucks looking for help. We just try to never acknowledge it.

--------

Anyway, enough of me moaning. Let's post some flipping work. I'm still away from home, so I only have my sketchbook to show. This specific sketchbook is almost a year old and will be complete as it turns 1. It isn't full of studies neccessarily, but rather explorations for art direction. I'm keen to make a new animated film soon, so this serves as a place to explore characters / art styles etc. Some new and old stuff throughout. It's a bit of an ideas journal, so the sketches can be scratchy and quick, but feel free to crit away.

sketchbook_03.jpg
sketchbook_03.jpg (501.11 KiB) Viewed 3932 times

sketchbook_02.jpg
sketchbook_02.jpg (419.88 KiB) Viewed 3932 times

sketchbook_01.jpg
sketchbook_01.jpg (459.82 KiB) Viewed 3932 times

sketchbook_04.jpg
sketchbook_04.jpg (346.93 KiB) Viewed 3932 times

sketchbook_05.jpg
sketchbook_05.jpg (421.13 KiB) Viewed 3932 times

When the sketchbook is full, I'll make a video to show it off. The plan is to at least finish 1 sketchbook a year. And then if I make it to a ripe old age, I'll have a big history of my progression. But then again, you know what they say about the plans of mice and men.

I'll be getting some more sketching done this weekend, so more soon.

Listening to...
Elliott Smith - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qu5ZT8WrCg

Watching...
Hayao Miyazaki Doc - The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (on Netflix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wViGZKVu8

Kazuo Oga Background Painting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cihDjO3glG4

Best,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby Aestechnics » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:28 pm

The idea of a sketchbook for style exploration sounds awesome (and looks awesome in your case)!
It's pretty hard for me to crit stylized work but there's one small suggestion I have: A lot of those character / head explorations are the standard angles: Front, profile, 3/4ths, and so on. Trying to attempt some novel or difficult poses like looking up or down, views from unusual camera angles, and so on can be really challenging but fun at the same time. Also if you ask me, varying the standard angles just a little allows for more character exploration.
Looking at someone's upturned head? That can hint at them being a confident or perhaps scornful person (since they're turning up their nose at you!).
A tilted head? Maybe they're thinking about a difficult problem or watching someone and being wary of them.
I hope this doesn't sound too silly and helps a bit!
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook here! Would love to get any criticism or feedback you have!
Aestechnics
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Choob » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:39 pm

Sweet blurring use on the pieces at the top, delicious colours with the acrylics, and some cool exploration stuff in the sketchbook.
Just keep pumping stuff out so I can find something you're doing wrong and crit it to pieces. ;)

Though you can probably manage more than one sketchbook a year after this one, and I'd like to see some explorations of different ways of drawing hands or something as well as all the portraits. Keep it up man.
“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought.”
Facebook | Ancient Blog | New Sketchbook | Inspiration Tumblr | My Tumblr
Choob
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Kerro Perro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 am

Haha yeah man as someone who's seen the inside of a therapist's office once or twice i know exactly what you mean! It's painful to look at your flaws and perhaps even more to find out how far you still have to go but you'll never know how to get better if don't have that understanding.

Man your comment about experimentation in a sketchbook suddenly really hits home now i've seen your last post! Great stuff and something i'll definitely have a crack at!
Kerro Perro

Postby Naidy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:49 am

I find it interesting that you say you're having problems developing a style. I can see where your strengths lie; colour and environments are shining through right now. Your faces have character too, though I'd really like to see you play with people and your ways with colour. If you're having problems developing a style pay attention to what you enjoy and feel comfortable with, try to encorperate it with things you don't like so much, and experiment until aspects you find less 'fun' feel more interesting. (Whilst studying the whole way along, of course ;) )
things are looking well so far though, No harm playing with colour, people, and expressions though! You might end up with some interesting things.
Naidy
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Lodratio » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:15 pm

Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is really interesting! I found myself agreeing with a lot of the things miyamoto said, like how dreams are instrumentalized and how that affects creators and their work. After seeing it I think I understand a bit more why he's cynical about a lot of things. Your approach to drawing faces works pretty well from a frontal view, but when you draw things from weirder angles it often looks off. I think your weakest link is facial anatomy so working on that should help you out.
Lodratio

Postby dead_parts » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi Permanoobers,

Once again, thanks all for the lovely comments.

@Aestechnics - Thanks for the comments man :) Really good crit. You are right that my head doodles tend to be default front on. I think this sketchbook has been helpful for me developing some sense of style, but it means that often when I sit and draw without thinking, I draw default poses. So, I'm starting to push that a little more. I like your idea of pushing this in order explore character as well. I'm tempted to set myself a bunch of exercises to force me out of my habits. Get me working in news way. So thanks dude, really helpful stuff.

@Choob - Cheers Choob (love the name!) You are correct, one sketchbook in a year is kinda shitty. I do draw a lot more than that (will talk about this a bit more below) but I tend to have a bad habit of doodling across multiple sketchbooks. So, it's tricky to keep track of ideas and technique through time. So, this is a starting point to help organise all of that. And totally spot on dude, this year, all I seem to sketch is character. This might be because I do most landscapes etc digitally or with paint, but I definitely need some more expansion. Hopefully getting back into life drawing later this year, so will keep pushing it.

@Kerro Perro - Thanks KP. Seen your latest sketchbook update and will be over with comments some point this week :)

@Naidy - Thanks Naidy for the advice. Will take it onboard. I feel like I'm finding my style, but it has taken so long. For the longest time everything seemed so generic, but now I'm getting my style on track, it's time to get back to the grindstone and improve the core skills.

@Lodratio - It's awesome man. Miyazaki is this big mythical director who churns out great films. But throughout that documentary he seemed so amazingly humble and honest. He talks about sadness and reality, all whilst cracking that adorable smile of his. The documentary on Isao Takahata is also awesome. I just can't get enough of watching other artists at work.

Ok...so time for the work. I've been painting a ton of digital stuff this week for a print project which I'm super excited about. But at the mo, can't show any of that. So instead, here's sketchbook doodles from this week, plus some other bits and bobs from recent weeks to show what the fuck I do.

Whenever I'm working on a freelance project that is painting / drawing (rather than CG or animation) I try to warm up painting each day, just to get the muscles working whilst the pressure is off. Otherwise I waste the first few hours drawing absolutely awful. These are some of those sketches. They normally start on paper. I then take a quick pic on my phone, upload them, and add paint in Photoshop. I'm constantly amazed how much easier things become when I sketch on paper first. Then Photoshop is just a place to paint of my sketch and experiment with things.

head_doodle_03.jpg
head_doodle_03.jpg (331.72 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

head_doodle_02.jpg
head_doodle_02.jpg (498.32 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

head_doodle_01.jpg
head_doodle_01.jpg (424.47 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

head_doodle_04.jpg
head_doodle_04.jpg (355.74 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

So, sketchbook pages. Feel free to crit away, but I would like to explain how I work with this thing. This tends to be an ideas thing. I sit and doodle animation ideas and art direction stuff. Hence, things are pretty scrappy, scratchy and rough. No perfect studies or examples of strong realism. However, there is still plenty to feedback on, so feel free to comment. Not too happy with these pages specifically, some odd looking figure weight, but there are some faces and ideas that I might be taking forward to something more finished.

sketchbook_07.jpg
sketchbook_07.jpg (371.35 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

sketchbook_06.jpg
sketchbook_06.jpg (363.73 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

In addition to my sketchbook, I have always a huge stack of A0 paper on my drawing table that becomes a giant doodle page. It's really great to have it there when I want to get away from my computer. Plus, it's really relaxed so often things come out a lot better. The lack of pressure can be a good thing. It's 3am here, so I only have these two pictures, but tomorrow I'll take some pics of other similar pages in the daylight.

sketchpage_01.jpg
sketchpage_01.jpg (414.33 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

sketchpage_02.jpg
sketchpage_02.jpg (483.32 KiB) Viewed 3829 times

Ok, so that's all for now. I'll try be around the forums a little more during the week. I'm working hard to pay my bills but I'll hopefully have some time this week to get the old acrylics out and paint. Updates soon.

Listening to...
Florence and the Machine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbN0nX61rIs

ReWatching...
Aaron Draplin chatting on Youtubes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3RnDD4kETI

Best,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Revisiting Old Work

Postby dead_parts » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:00 pm

Hey Permanoobers,

There's some amazing stuff going on in these forums, glad to see it evolving.

So, some updates from myself. I want to revisit some old concepts and rework them. A lot of my older work feels really static and soulless, so I'd like to re approach it with the way I paint these days. Here's the first one I'm working on, I'm actually looking to strip back the narrative a little and push the technicalities of the painting. So, any crits, advice and suggestions would be super helpful.

the_pass_old_concept_01.jpg
the_pass_old_concept_01.jpg (335.54 KiB) Viewed 3750 times

the_pass_old_concept_01_repaint.jpg
the_pass_old_concept_01_repaint.jpg (316.9 KiB) Viewed 3750 times

I'm also looking to get into a new painting routine. Has anyone got any suggestions for a helpful way of working. I usually doodle some warm up stuff (random things) and then get to work on whatever project I'm doing for the day. In my freelance work this is usually CG animation crap, but I'm trying to do more illustration / painting work. So, I've spent the last few days starting with a warm up, and then painting all day on something I can't show here. So, I'd like to rethink the way I work in order to help me improve, but also to make sure I don't just get stuck on work things all day. Suggestions would be great. I'm thinking something like...

- Warm up Exercise (Master Study / Composition Study / Exploratory Painting / Sketchbook Doodles etc) - 1 hour (More focused than normal)
- Inspiration / Reference Collection - 30 mins
- Concentrated Work (Painting / Freelance Projects etc) - Full day
- Revisit Morning Exercises (i.e. Turn into something more developed)
- Permanoobs Forum Visit

This isn't just to try and freshen up how I work, but also to force me to be more active in exploring the possibilities of painting. Today whilst working on a painting, I created a quick texture to overlay and was instantly struck by how much a few marks can do. And how often I kill those early qualities. So, I'll be aiming to just be more expressive in how I paint and try to be more exploratory in warm up exercises. Here's the texture with a quick bit of additional painting.

square_experiment_01.jpg
square_experiment_01.jpg (216.71 KiB) Viewed 3750 times

I might turn this into something more, but for now, it's just a thing.

Anyway, more soon.

Blest,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby Siji » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Hey,

I feel the image you repainted lack a real subject, there isnt really something quite detailed to look at in contrast of the rest of the painting. Just a thought.. ^^ technically I cant say much.

I encourage you to keep up with your experiments like the last one, its really fresh, the brushwork feels very confident.

As for your routine, It looks fine to me. Maybe try to fix some goals. Gettig shit done keeps me motivated personnaly. you might want to give yourself deadlines for personnal projects/paintings, so that you can see the improvements over the time.

Peaaace
Siji

Postby caseylarae » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Wow, your work is gorgeous, I love your style. That rework is really cool to look at too, you've made so much progress! Since your work is so stylized, I think it would be a really good idea to take a careful look into realistic lighting. Good lighting will ground your stylized characters and environments in the real world. It's really cool to see you just experimenting and finding what you like, can't wait to see more!
caseylarae
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby dead_parts » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am

Hey Permanoobers,

Thanks for the feedback.

@Siji - I see what you mean. I'm going to go back to it at some point and rework some more. I'm still undecided about having the figure in the foreground. Maybe I should put it back in. Thanks for the other advice. I'm getting into a better routine this week. More goals and trying to work on different things throughout the day, rather than getting stuck on one project for the entire time.

@caseylarae - Thank you! Glad you like it. Lighting studies are definitely are a plan. I've been doing some colour experiements, so the natural progression is to study light. Nathan Fowkes work is a huge inspiration, so I'll be aiming to gain some of that masterful knowledge.

As for work, here are some bits and bobs from today and yesterday. Firstly, a warm up doodle from a film study. John Goodman in Inside Llewyn Davis.

warm_up_01_llewyn_davis.jpg
warm_up_01_llewyn_davis.jpg (340.69 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

This was a good exercise to start the day off, but god damn I hate it. It's not a complete failure, but it just reminds me of all my horrible techniques. When I paint digital studies, I just hate the brushwork. Forms feel off but colours aren't too bad. It's a warm up doodle, so I'm not going to go any further. But it's a good reminder of where I want to improve. More experiments and tests will hopefully help break this boring way of painting.

Also some colour exercises in acrylic again. Using contrasting colours to see how you can balance things on the page. Even though these don't feel as successful I still love doing them and will definitely keep them up. Just painting with acrylic is a great break from a computer. It's also really nice to work within restriction. Gives you a nice focus.

colour_thumbs_03a.jpg
colour_thumbs_03a.jpg (261.54 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

colour_thumbs_03.jpg
colour_thumbs_03.jpg (432.76 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

colour_thumbs_04.jpg
colour_thumbs_04.jpg (444.98 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

As always crit away. Will post more this week.

Best,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby dead_parts » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Hey folks,

Apologies for the delay in posting. It's been a stupid month. Just turned 25 which is a depressing thing and been working like hell to pay the rent. I've not been making enough of my own work but I have these 2 character pages from a freelance project to show.

creature_concepts_01.jpg
creature_concepts_01.jpg (414.46 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

creature_concepts_02.jpg
creature_concepts_02.jpg (393.92 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

They were good fun, but I wish I'd played more with colour.

Anyway, seeing as I've aged another year, I wanted to get some old shit posted here so that I can start a fresh from here on out. Time is going way too quickly and I'm depressed at the lack of progression I've had lately. So, this is a bookend, time to get crunching and getting this show on the road.

surface_characters_001.jpg
surface_characters_001.jpg (230.63 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

002_spaceman_v002.jpg
002_spaceman_v002.jpg (117.78 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

001_spaceman_v002.jpg
001_spaceman_v002.jpg (119.17 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

003_haunted_v002.jpg
003_haunted_v002.jpg (112.04 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

004_crew_v001.jpg
004_crew_v001.jpg (100.31 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

character_page_01_small.jpg
character_page_01_small.jpg (324.21 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

thumbnail_page_0005_street_colour_comps.jpg
thumbnail_page_0005_street_colour_comps.jpg (338.42 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

nia_sketch_04.jpg
nia_sketch_04.jpg (226.75 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

More soon.

dead_parts
dead_parts

Painting

Postby dead_parts » Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:59 pm

Hey permanoobers,

Not too much to show at the moment. I've not managed to paint as much as I'd hoped. However, I did get some time to work on an acrylic study.

The Sad Eyes of Zadie Smith

IMG_20150907_155952.jpg
IMG_20150907_155952.jpg (479.17 KiB) Viewed 3587 times

Still great to be working with traditional stuff. Now I need to get my head right and work harder. I've been in a slump for a while now. Struggling with work and not being as productive as I'd like. But things are looking up so hopefully the future will be brighter.

More soon,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby Lodratio » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:23 am

If you feel like you're stagnating it might be a good idea to change your approach for a bit. I've found that when you refrain from using the tools and methods you're comfortable with for a while it will force you to come up with new solutions to problems.
By the way, do you know if there's any good books or tutorials on painting with acryllics? It's a real challenge to mix colors and get the results you want in my experience.
Lodratio

Postby dead_parts » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi Lodratio,

Cheers man. Things are improving. I'm finally starting to get back into a good work mode and enjoying what I'm doing. So, thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to be less precious about painting and instead exploring ideas very quickly, which is super refreshing.

In regards to acrylic tutorial stuff, I'm really not sure. Acrylic was always the medium I used growing up, so I'm not sure where I learnt it. If it's colour mixing that is a problem, then maybe just try and go back to basics? Colour theory helped me a bunch. Try and find some Nathan Fowkes stuff, that man knows everything about colour.

As for today, I tried out a few quick paintings. Probably about 30 minutes on each. I normally get really stuck on one idea and try to refine and refine. But for now, I'm leaving these and enjoying the quicker work mode. I may return to them and polish one day, but for now, they are a good catalyst to make me move forward.

landscape_experiment_002a.jpg
landscape_experiment_002a.jpg (272.83 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

landscape_experiment_002.jpg
landscape_experiment_002.jpg (481.08 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

landscape_experiment_001.jpg
landscape_experiment_001.jpg (281.76 KiB) Viewed 3556 times

cheers,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby dead_parts » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:21 pm

Just something quick for today. A still life from photo ref. Nothing spectacular and very rough, but I'm getting back in the right frame of mind.

still_life_study_01.jpg
still_life_study_01.jpg (366.58 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

Best,

dead_parts
dead_parts

Abstracts / Master Studies

Postby dead_parts » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:33 am

A few warm up exercises from this week. Started with some master studies of Edgar Payne. That guy knows how to use some colour. Definitely a reminder about how much I need to work on the subtlety of colour. The last one was killer. The value range is really difficult to capture so my version came out a little ghostly. But, I'm getting a lot better at seeing and picking colour these days. No colour picking.

master_study_warm_up_01.jpg
master_study_warm_up_01.jpg (392.82 KiB) Viewed 3446 times

And then, some abstract stuff which I wanted to test out. Essentially, a bunch of abstract repsonses that I could then use as a launch pad for some landscape work. It's a good exercise. You respond to something abstractly, then use that to collage, texture, warp into a composition. So these abstracts...

abstracts_01.jpg
abstracts_01.jpg (233.89 KiB) Viewed 3446 times

abstracts_02.jpg
abstracts_02.jpg (188.93 KiB) Viewed 3446 times

were then warped, collaged together and mixed up to create some warm up compositions.

abstracts_03.jpg
abstracts_03.jpg (174.45 KiB) Viewed 3446 times

Nothing amazing and all feels a little less exciting than I'd hope. But I think the exercise as an idea has some possibility. Will hopefully help me generating something new and interesting. Got some acrylic work under-way so will post that soon.

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby dead_parts » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:11 am

There is some really good stuff going on in these forums and it's a big reminder that I need to be working 100 times harder. Anyway, enough chatting...

From this weekend, I've been messing around with a few things. Firstly, the Smudge and Sharpen tools which Peninsula highlighted in his sketchbook (check his stuff out here - http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=530&start=180). I've been using Photoshop for a good few years now but for some reason never used these particular tools. They are crazily useful. I've always felt my work ends up looking a bit too soft and muddy, but this is a really nice way of emphasise texture and focus the viewer's attention.

landscape_warm_up_01.jpg
landscape_warm_up_01.jpg (286.66 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

I also quickly jumped back to an old study which I hated.
001_warm_up_llewyn_davis_02.jpg
001_warm_up_llewyn_davis_02.jpg (290.33 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

I still don't like it, but the image on the right is a version with some Smudge / Sharpen applied. It's definitely a tool I want to try out more. Super helpful and really pushes an interesting style of faux oil paint. But in a really good way.

And lastly, a small acrylic study of Marjane Satrapi. Needs some work (likeness is off), but a start to hopefully more interesting colour choices and exploration.

marjane_study_01.jpg
marjane_study_01.jpg (471.78 KiB) Viewed 3395 times

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby Ink-insomnia » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:18 am

Really nice work in here! Those abstract composition thumbnails seem interesting, would be cool to see you pick a few and work them up into small sketches, see how well it translates to a non-abstract image. I really like the effect of the smudge/sharpen tool too - I'm gonna be honest, I don't know how it works but I'd use it sparingly at the moment; images usually feel too soft and muddy when the edges in it aren't controlled, so it might be better to study edge control and hard and soft edges before you let the smudge/sharpen tool do all the work for you. (But like I said, I don't know how it works so I might be completely off the mark!)
Really enjoying this sketchbook so far - that still life study of the pears looks ace. Keep it coming!
Ink-insomnia

Postby Naidy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:17 am

Your recent works with colour are looking V nice. Hope to see more traditional colour thumbs, they're making me want to do some myself. No crits, just Keep up the good work, honestly.
Naidy

Postby dead_parts » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm

It's been some time since I've even been on Permanoobs. Somehow, it's suddenly 2017! And I'm 26 years old! What the fuck happened? Let's not even talk about Brexit and Trump and the rest of it.

So, I've decided to give things another go and start using my sketchbook again. I've really been struggling recently with work and procrastination, and I want to get back to how I used to be when I was a student. When I just lived and breathed art. I'm really not bothered about people seeing my work at the moment, I just need an outlet to put work out there in a private space and start feeling good about improving again.

So here it goes! Firstly, a few bits from the last year. I lucked out and had a couple of great opportunities. Part of that involved working with Hero Complex Gallery, producing a bunch of art prints that were a good step forward. I learnt a lot on these. Some I'm super happy with, others not so much. But they were real good tests for me. Here are a few...I think I've now done 16 in this style...12" x 36" giclee prints.

the_last_of_us_insta_03.jpg
the_last_of_us_insta_03.jpg (349.85 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

journey_insta_03.jpg
journey_insta_03.jpg (275.4 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

shadow_of_the_colossus_insta_03.jpg
shadow_of_the_colossus_insta_03.jpg (280.02 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

close_encounters_01.jpg
close_encounters_01.jpg (249.72 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

star_wars_final_print_01.jpg
star_wars_final_print_01.jpg (294.44 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

akira_print_01.jpg
akira_print_01.jpg (337.66 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

Also from the last year, some development on concept art and character design for a film I want to start making this year.

untitled_02.jpg
untitled_02.jpg (246.58 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

untitled_03.jpg
untitled_03.jpg (325.08 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

untitled_01.jpg
untitled_01.jpg (411.71 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

untitled_08.jpg
untitled_08.jpg (191.23 KiB) Viewed 1384 times

This is a passion project that I really want to start working on with more vigour. But my first main goal is to re-energize myself. I'm fed up of being is this slump and I need to work way harder to get out of it. I'm going to go and get some sketching done, so will be back tomorrow with a new post.

dead_parts
dead_parts

Postby dead_parts » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:56 am

Here's a sketch page from last night / this morning. It's all very stylised but it's a really fun way of just warming up and not worrying too much about what I'm doing.

day_11_characters.jpg
day_11_characters.jpg (375 KiB) Viewed 1346 times
dead_parts

Next

Return to Sketchbooks