My Junk

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

My Junk

Postby Moe » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:31 pm

The names Moe. Basically, my goal is to be a comic book artist and recently like 2 months ago I started focusing on my fundamentals( gesture, anatomy, perspective, etc) Anyways, here is what I got done this year. Not that much but I'll be more productive in the coming months/years.
Attachments
Thorfinn Studies.jpg
Thorfinn Studies.jpg (44.64 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
pose_practice_by_moeazy-d9fomzy.jpg
pose_practice_by_moeazy-d9fomzy.jpg (166.39 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
gesture_by_moeazy-d9eun6p.jpg
gesture_by_moeazy-d9eun6p.jpg (158.04 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
cosplay.jpg
cosplay.jpg (44.15 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
clouds_by_moeazy-d9eundu.jpg
clouds_by_moeazy-d9eundu.jpg (109.74 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Dooodles.jpg
Dooodles.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 5971 times
Moe
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Re: My Junk

Postby Snipa » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:37 pm

Nice stuff so far, I'm working on clouds too.
Snipa
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Imbalantus » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:17 pm

Gestures look great.

For the cloud piece, it would be better to use more brush economy. For example you can do an experiment when you first start with a really large brush and solve as many problems as you can with it, and then you go down in brushsize and then again solve the next batch of problems etc.
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby sartre's slippers » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Hey, I second Imbalantus: nice gestures! If you want book recommendations, Hampton and Loomis have been good to me--also, study perspective (lots of it), it's crucial! If you are interested in a narrative art such as comics, it could be useful to check out something like Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative by Will Eisner. Keep up the hard work, and good luck!

EDIT: Another good one for narrative+composition--> Framed Ink by Mateu-Mestre
sartre's slippers
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Moe » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:24 am

More weekly junk. I tend to alternate my studies between perspective, gesture and head drawing. And sometimes design when I'm bored.
Note: The top row for the gesture drawings are studies and don't belong to me
Attachments
Face Studies.jpg
Face Studies.jpg (78.32 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Animator Studies.jpg
Animator Studies.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
11-21-2015 perspective studies.jpg
11-21-2015 perspective studies.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 5914 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:28 am

Snipa wrote:Nice stuff so far, I'm working on clouds too.

Thanks man. Clouds are fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it :D

Imbalantus wrote:Gestures look great.

For the cloud piece, it would be better to use more brush economy. For example you can do an experiment when you first start with a really large brush and solve as many problems as you can with it, and then you go down in brushsize and then again solve the next batch of problems etc.

Thanks Imbalantus. I will keep that in mind when I begin to focus on my painting skills sometime next year. I realized a while back that my drawing skills need tons of work first!

sartre's slippers wrote:Hey, I second Imbalantus: nice gestures! If you want book recommendations, Hampton and Loomis have been good to me--also, study perspective (lots of it), it's crucial! If you are interested in a narrative art such as comics, it could be useful to check out something like Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative by Will Eisner. Keep up the hard work, and good luck!

EDIT: Another good one for narrative+composition--> Framed Ink by Mateu-Mestre

Thanks for the recommendations sartre. I'm currently studying loomis but I haven't heard of the will eisner book. I'll keep that in mind when I get into composition.
Moe

Postby Moe » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:12 pm

I been screwing around last week. I'll probably start focusing on foundational stuff in the coming days.
Attachments
sketch.jpg
sketch.jpg (50.83 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Imagination.jpg
Imagination.jpg (88.69 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Glen keane studies.jpg
Glen keane studies.jpg (60.27 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Endling Studies.jpg
Endling Studies.jpg (87.42 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Character Design.jpg
Character Design.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 5846 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:25 am

Attempting 1 point perspective
Attachments
1 point perspective.jpg
1 point perspective.jpg (74.77 KiB) Viewed 5819 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:08 am

My head construction sucks so I'm studying skulls.
Attachments
Skull studies.jpg
Skull studies.jpg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 5779 times
Moe

Postby crankshaft » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:53 am

Nice work! I would also recommend Successful drawing by Loomis and How to draw by Scott Robertson. They are both technical but well worth it. Also watch your verticals in the one point study. Verticals don't converge or lean in one point. Thanks for dropping by my sb! Feel free to ask me anything perspective.
crankshaft
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby caseylarae » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:53 pm

Welcome! What a great start, I love your figures! If you want to become a comic artist, I'd suggest drawing your figures interacting with each other while you're practicing gesture and anatomy. That way you can kill two birds with one stone and learn about character acting while you learn to draw. In my experience, things like acting, visual storytelling, and mood are highly underrated in art/illustration education, and may actually be artistic fundamentals in their own right. Since you have a specific goal in mind, practice for it in ways that will give you experience with these important elements before you even draw an actual comic. Hope that helps, can't wait to see more of your work :)
caseylarae
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Moe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:49 am

More junk
Attachments
IMG_20151214_001111 (1).jpg
IMG_20151214_001111 (1).jpg (41.66 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
1 minute figure drawing.jpg
1 minute figure drawing.jpg (87.98 KiB) Viewed 5729 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:53 am

crankshaft wrote:Nice work! I would also recommend Successful drawing by Loomis and How to draw by Scott Robertson. They are both technical but well worth it. Also watch your verticals in the one point study. Verticals don't converge or lean in one point. Thanks for dropping by my sb! Feel free to ask me anything perspective.

I didn't even notice my verticals were leaning. Thanks for pointing that out! Feel free to give feedback anytime you see something wrong. I'm lazily going through Scott Robertson right now but because the material is dry so I tend to take frequent breaks.

caseylarae wrote:Welcome! What a great start, I love your figures! If you want to become a comic artist, I'd suggest drawing your figures interacting with each other while you're practicing gesture and anatomy. That way you can kill two birds with one stone and learn about character acting while you learn to draw. In my experience, things like acting, visual storytelling, and mood are highly underrated in art/illustration education, and may actually be artistic fundamentals in their own right. Since you have a specific goal in mind, practice for it in ways that will give you experience with these important elements before you even draw an actual comic. Hope that helps, can't wait to see more of your work :)

Thanks so much! I'll add character interaction to my practice list.
Moe

Postby Moe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:12 am

Perspective practice from scott robertson's book and some life drawing... they're so horrible.. haha
Attachments
IMG_20151216_030136.jpg
IMG_20151216_030136.jpg (46.86 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
IMG_20151216_030053.jpg
IMG_20151216_030053.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 5701 times
Moe

Postby Markus Creation » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:42 am

Nice skull studies! If your anatomy sucks, you could expand them to making whole skeleton-studies. ;)
Website: (available again soon) http://www.markuscreation.com
My Youtube-Artwork-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDG7r_ ... w/featured
Sketchbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3284
Markus Creation
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Moe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:33 pm

Unproductive week... Still struggling with head construction. I'll probably do drawabox for perspective practice and burn through Loomis.
Attachments
Weekly Imagination 1.jpg
Weekly Imagination 1.jpg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Head practice 1.jpg
Head practice 1.jpg (82.45 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Face practice.jpg
Face practice.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:35 pm

Markus Creation wrote:Nice skull studies! If your anatomy sucks, you could expand them to making whole skeleton-studies. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. Although, I don't think it's effective to just do a skeleton study. I think it's more effective to do studies of specific bones like the rib cage or the pelvis and break it down structurally and spend an extended period of time until it's fully grasped. But I do plan on studying all the bones of the human anatomy eventually.
Moe

Postby crankshaft » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:31 pm

Nice work. Yeah perspective can be quite boring and it can feel very mechanical and not drawing. Some critique: For the cylinders remember that the ellipses must always be perpendicular to the minor axis.
crankshaft
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Uyeno » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:44 am

Thanks for the comment in my sketchbook! I love your sketches you definitely already have some experience with drawing the figure. Don't be too overwhelmed with the critiques and advice you get on here. Main thing is keep having fun and being determined. I already see your passion in your art so keep up with the habbit.
Uyeno
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Moe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Just doodling due to art block and distractions. I'll try to get more serious stuff in the next post.
Attachments
ink 2.jpg
ink 2.jpg (114.3 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
Ink 1.jpg
Ink 1.jpg (91.53 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
file.jpg
file.jpg (96.15 KiB) Viewed 5560 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:21 pm

crankshaft wrote:Nice work. Yeah perspective can be quite boring and it can feel very mechanical and not drawing. Some critique: For the cylinders remember that the ellipses must always be perpendicular to the minor axis.

Thanks for catching that! I guess I need to spend some time studying the anatomy of ellipses.

Uyeno wrote:Thanks for the comment in my sketchbook! I love your sketches you definitely already have some experience with drawing the figure. Don't be too overwhelmed with the critiques and advice you get on here. Main thing is keep having fun and being determined. I already see your passion in your art so keep up with the habbit.

Thanks man! Yeah, the critiques and advises are sometimes overwhelming but they are also extremely helpful. I'll try to keep up the passion although I've been struggling with a bit of art block lately. Hopefully, I get through it soon.
Moe

Postby Moe » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:45 am

Last time it was all imagination this time there is no imagination :( ... I'm simply trying to get used to drawing on the tablet again
Attachments
Movement Exercise.jpg
Movement Exercise.jpg (113.23 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
UFC STUDIES.jpg
UFC STUDIES.jpg (138.12 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
Head sketches.jpg
Head sketches.jpg (121.04 KiB) Viewed 5448 times
Moe

Postby Aestechnics » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:39 pm

Nice gesture studies! Looks like you've got all the basics of stretch / compression in the torso, simplifying limbs, etc. After that, fluidity and rhythm in gesture is just practice and more practice. Glenn Vilppu says it's the most difficult part of a drawing and he has his students practicing it for hours at the beginning of his classes, so what's important is just to be consistent with practice (which is something I need to work on myself).

In some of those recent head sketches, there's a lot of simplification of the head structure happening - it's apparent in the jawline of the two right-most portraits. Even for a young woman or girl, there is underlying skull structure that will affect the curvature of that line. Consider taking a photo of a person and tracing a skull over it, just to see where those bony landmarks appear on the surface and are important to draw.
It may seem somewhat excessive for the stylized approach you're going for, but the more you work on the skull and memorize its landmarks, the easier drawing people in ANY style becomes. Good work and keep it up.
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook here! Would love to get any criticism or feedback you have!
Aestechnics

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:56 am

Just grinding..
Attachments
head construction.jpg
head construction.jpg (142.42 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
drawabox.jpg
drawabox.jpg (98.77 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
doodle.jpg
doodle.jpg (77.41 KiB) Viewed 5394 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:59 am

Aestechnics wrote:Nice gesture studies! Looks like you've got all the basics of stretch / compression in the torso, simplifying limbs, etc. After that, fluidity and rhythm in gesture is just practice and more practice. Glenn Vilppu says it's the most difficult part of a drawing and he has his students practicing it for hours at the beginning of his classes, so what's important is just to be consistent with practice (which is something I need to work on myself).

In some of those recent head sketches, there's a lot of simplification of the head structure happening - it's apparent in the jawline of the two right-most portraits. Even for a young woman or girl, there is underlying skull structure that will affect the curvature of that line. Consider taking a photo of a person and tracing a skull over it, just to see where those bony landmarks appear on the surface and are important to draw.
It may seem somewhat excessive for the stylized approach you're going for, but the more you work on the skull and memorize its landmarks, the easier drawing people in ANY style becomes. Good work and keep it up.

Thanks for the feedback Aes, and yeah you're right, just because I'm doing stylized stuff doesn't mean I should neglect learning human anatomy. And thanks for pointing that, I'll try to pay more attention to the landmarks of the skull.
Moe

Postby Moe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:48 am

More junk. Still struggling with heads
Attachments
Sketches .jpg
Sketches .jpg (64.46 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Skull practice.jpg
Skull practice.jpg (181.65 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Figure drawing.jpg
Figure drawing.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Horn practice.jpg
Horn practice.jpg (86.08 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
Moe

Postby ubem » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:42 am

Love the effort so far Moe!
One thing I think could help is maybe not using so much line thickness in those skulls, it seems to take away the form and sense of construction. The lines in the figures look pretty good, proko on youtube has some good tutorials that might help in gesture drawing. Maybe studying heads from life or from a good photo can help push your understanding of heads. Lastly don't be afraid to add value/shading onto your forms, you'll have to learn how light behaves eventually.
Hope that helps, keep it up!
ubem

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:22 am

Not much ... Still struggling with boxesssssss
Attachments
95fd27c4b58644c78cca30179e7265da.jpg
95fd27c4b58644c78cca30179e7265da.jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
1ca3dd9e43c640ffa1498a41d2a97969.jpg
1ca3dd9e43c640ffa1498a41d2a97969.jpg (115.19 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Moe

Postby Moe » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:34 am

ubem wrote:Love the effort so far Moe!
One thing I think could help is maybe not using so much line thickness in those skulls, it seems to take away the form and sense of construction. The lines in the figures look pretty good, proko on youtube has some good tutorials that might help in gesture drawing. Maybe studying heads from life or from a good photo can help push your understanding of heads. Lastly don't be afraid to add value/shading onto your forms, you'll have to learn how light behaves eventually.
Hope that helps, keep it up!

Thanks for the feedback, Ubem. I appreciate it. You're right about the line quality of the skulls, I should have probably been more careful with my lines, it does seem to hinder the construction. However, I don't think ready yet to add values. I've actually a lot of value work in the past: http://yezuus.deviantart.com/art/Skull-Study-538251349, I was a rendering junkie but I still kept running to basic proportional, structural, gestural, and anatomical issues.

Personally, I think it's better to focus on one or two things instead of tackling everything at once. I think one of the main reasons why a lot of people fail to make progress is because of instead of tackling fundamental concepts like perspective and structure they jump onto rendering and colors. I view rendering as just being the icing on the cake if you will. Like if you are drawing faces, if you have an understanding of the proportion, structure, planes, secondary planes, then all that's left really is to choose a light source and you should come up with a good portrait painting. I don't think values is difficult if you have a strong drawing foundation. Anyway, that's just my opinion on the topic.
Moe

Postby ubem » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Yes good point, construction and proportion are definitely more important than all else! I make the mistake of jumping ahead of myself sometimes, good thing you know to pace yourself. Especially since you want to be a comic book artist, I think you're on the right track focusing solely on construction/drawing for now whereas values are mostly simplified in comic art. Though one other thing, maybe make sure to focus on accuracy, especially with portraits, take twice as long if you need to. One good accurate drawing will help you improve more than twenty bad ones. It's also great you have self awareness of your mistakes, that and consistency of practice will take you very far!
ubem

Next

Return to Sketchbooks