Sketchy Fun Times

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Sketchy Fun Times

Postby arobro » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:46 am

Well maybe not all fun. Yo, I've been lurking for too long and thought it was about time to post a sketchbook as a way to possibly motivate myself more. I'm interested in illustration, concept art and comics. Haven't had a whole lot of time to draw recently because of school but since it's break I want to milk my time for what it's worth and get some drawing in before next semester.

Also would like to at least complete one illustration to add to my portfolio before next semester but we'll see. :S

My scanner doesn't work anymore so slightly blurry phone pics it is. These were done over the last bunch of days.

30 sec gestures
ImageImage

Stuff copied from reference
Well some of these have nonreffed doodles haha

I suppose from now on I'll aim to learn some more about anatomy and construction while doing regular studies from reference. Gonna bust out the tablet too eventually and do some color studies.

As an aside I thought it would be fun to find my old sketchbook on CA and wow can't believe it's been 5 years since then. Though it seems all the images in it have been lost to the ages. XD
arobro
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Re: Sketchy Fun Times

Postby arobro » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:00 am

Haha I still find it nerve wrecking to post to a forum for some reason but will keep pushing that anxiety out of the way. X)

Some 30 sec gestures from yesterday but maybe I was in over my head using brush pen.

Reffed stuff. Maybe my pencils are too grainy? Or I need to be more patient XD

Some stuff for fun in between lol...Sorry if it's a little freaky.
arobro

Postby ubem » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:50 am

Welcome to the forums!
Great work, especially love your control of values in traditional media. It seems like in the last couple images there's some proportion errors, especially in the hands and arms. Also in the last painting the high saturation and value feels overwhelming/distracting for the face, maybe toning it down a little could help push the composition. I think you have values and drawing down compared to the colors, saturation, and composition which could use some attention. Would love to see more paintings, keep up the great work!
ubem
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby arobro » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:23 am

ubem - Hey thanks a lot! Nice to hear that my values are working since I'm not super confident in them. Yeah definitely some proportion errors there. Gotta learn to be more careful. And I agree, the last painting could really do without that saturation. I guess I couldn't help myself though since I'm a sucker for saturation. Gonna try to keep that in check.

I'm starting to wonder why I keep doing gestures but they're good for warming up at least.

I wonder should I post the reference images as well?
Feels like I could have pushed the values a bit idk.

Really love the look of deserts...

I think this study made me even more confused with how perspective works. When I look at this again it looks like I threw the houses in haphazardly which is probably true since I was getting frustrated with how many there were lmao

Hmm painting portraits is hard! XD All those subtle colors.

I think I'd like to work on my neatness too... : O
arobro

Postby arobro » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:36 pm

I should probably get around to putting up an icon. Maybe I should replace the title of this thread with something more mundane and serious ...or not. XD

Decided to slow down a bit and then speed up. 30 sec on left and 60 sec on right.

I think I'll try to clean up my lines more in my value studies. Also is it better to work on one figure per page? Hmm Maybe I'll try that another time.

Need to do more color studies and stuff from imagination eventually. ..
arobro

Postby arobro » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 pm

I wish my internet weren't so slow gah anyways...

30s and 60s gestures

I like to think that's what I look like when I take a whiff of my armpits haha jk

I wanted to apologize to this lady the whole time I was painting this

I thought I would draw some people from imagination but it came out kinda stylized huh. Since that's the sort of stuff I like to draw the most. XD It was fun though. Should I draw them more realistic from now on for study purposes idk. I want to get better at stylization too...so many things I want to improve.
I have a feeling those legs of hers are off.
arobro

Postby arobro » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:05 am

zoooooooooommmm gotta keep pushin

Study focusing on colors. I guess depth has a lot to do with the colors you use. Also capturing the texture of rock is difficult.
I wonder if I should also focus on polish or getting things as accurate as possible in studies.

Wanted to paint some birds for fun lol. Boston Oriole

Secretary bird glamour shot

Also tried to think of some alternate compositions for an illustration I'm planning but I think I'll stick with my original idea. Still this was useful in helping me get a clearer idea of what I wanted out of this illustration.

Some doodles haha... I think I have a problem with making the head too big for the body. Probably would benefit from construction exercises ???
arobro

Postby Skold » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:48 am

Hi arobro! :)

I wonder if I should also focus on polish or getting things as accurate as possible in studies.

Regarding this I think that it's important to try and be accurate, but polishing and rendering your studies isn't really that important in my opinion. It's better to spend that time when you're making your own paintings, then you should try to push it as far as you can.

Keep up the good work!
Skold
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Peninsula » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:43 pm

Yo welcome
I'm loving this, and especially the "freaky fun inbetween" More of that!(;
About the perspective practice, (btw is that from Greenland?) this is not a good reference image for understanding perspective because it was taken with a telephoto lens, and the vanishing points are therefore far far off the canvas. When trying to understand basic perspective, it is much easier to work with a wider lens photo where one is able to follow all the lines, thus understanding the logic behind everything. To choose your refs wisely - that is, picking ones that is best suited for the exact thing you wish to get better at, is something that took a long time to learn for me, but it pays off and saves a lot of time.
Now.. let us see some more of that pencil magic, pleease xd
Also known as Axelga2112, Rev. Mendelez, Clement Obodom and A. Næss
Check out my music playlist here!
My sketchbook
Peninsula
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby arobro » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:19 am

Skold - Yo thanks for the input! I have similar sentiments.

Peninsula - Oh wow I didn't know that! I'll try to look more into how things are photographed and try to be more careful with references. And yeah recently I've had a bit of a fascination with Greenland. Thanks for the positive words!

Before I knew it I got kind of sidetracked for a number of days. I've been drawing every day but veered away from my regular schedule which probably wasn't a good idea but I read some fascinating things so in the end not so bad. Gonna try to get back on the horse.

Haha another Greenland house... I really enjoy how colorful Greenland houses look. It's like someone scattered house shaped m&ms over a barren, snowy landscape.

I was looking at models.com to see if I could use any of their photos to do studies of and thought for my purposes now (compare and study facial features? or just painting portraits) it's probably better to use unedited photos. I'm no editing expert though so I don't think I can tell the difference between an edited photo and an unedited photo 100% of the time. However I found out the polaroids section all the way on the bottom is your best bet for unedited photos of models without makeup and fancy lighting since these images are used by photographers to get a better sense of how these models look like "in the raw." There isn't a variety of body sizes/ages/lighting etc to study but I still feel the variety they have in facial features (however limited it may be compared to the general populace) was still interesting. Just another resource to add to one's repertoire.

I was looking at Sam Nielson's blog. He has some informative and interesting thoughts on a host of topics. I thought his processes on how to go about painting digitally were insightful. Also the stuff on lighting was interesting since I never thought much about lighting before.
I tried experimenting with other coloring processes but felt a little frustrated haha. Still it was invaluable reading how others go about things and trying it out.
arobro

Postby ubem » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:06 am

Hey arobro, great progress so far, love your use of colors in your recent pieces! However, I do see there's some underlying value and edge errors in your digital paintings. Value shifts, especially on portraits, are very subtle and very powerful. Maybe focusing more on value relationships and how edges interplay with them before delving further into color can help. Good efforts so far, keep at it!
ubem
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby catbib » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:46 am

looks really good, keep up the practice!
catbib
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby arobro » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:22 pm

ubem - Hey thanks! I'll try working on those!

catbib - Thans a lot!!

It's suddenly hard to keep up any motivation. So frustrating. XD Not sure how I did it last week.

I tried painting in grayscale and then adding color but wow that takes all the fun out of painting for me personally. But good to study I guess.
You know what frustrates me is making edges and brushstrokes neater. I just good god how and when will I get better. I recognize some color mistakes now too. whoops

mountains are cool

Lol...to make myself paint something anything I painted photos with birds in them again.
I thought I could figure out an easier way to paint grass well no.
arobro

Postby Skold » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:39 am

Hey arobro, thanks for the feedback you gave me.

I had some thoughts on your latest study and painting grass. As with most things what you really want to do is to get the overall shapes in first and then add some detail where it is needed. But it can be hard to see those shapes when studying from photos.

Something I like to do is look at how other artists do things and that helps me a lot. I like the way Mathias Zamecki paints grass so I looked at his work. https://www.artstation.com/artist/mzamecki

overpaint grass.jpg
overpaint grass.jpg (319.61 KiB) Viewed 3586 times
Skold
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby arobro » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:38 am

Skold - Thanks a lot for taking the time to paint over! Yeah I tried blocking in the shapes of the dark and light patches but that hard brush looks really good to do them in! I'll try to remember to be more selective with details next time.

Everybody on the US East Coast stay safe during the big snowstorm!

I still do gestures every day out of habit so here's some of them.

I was looking at the stuff about perspective in the beginning of Loomis figure drawing book (which I always seemed to skip before but that probably won't fly anymore) and thought I'd review stuff about drawing evenly spaced things in perspective??

glencoe, scotland...

Something from imagination for the heck of it. Didn't really plan the colors. Just...went with it.

Recently listened to some Bobby Chiu's livestreams on youtube and I really like his idea for a warm up exercise as a time to draw from imagination. He emphasized it as a exercise in trying to visualize what you want to put on paper and not caring if it sucks or if it's only stuff in your comfort zone. So like...a way of exercising those visualization muscles and a place where you can try applying those studies you might otherwise forget haha.

Oh yeah learned about Paul Lisaine's stuff. He's on a whole 'nother level.
arobro

Postby arobro » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Haven't drawn as much as I should have. School's starting so I won't have much time to draw but I'd like to try to set aside time to draw regularly...

Tried to focus on values.
I remembered the thing about squinting and it was useful for finding the darkest parts of a picture.

stuff from imagination

I thought I would attempt to find art forums which have sketchbook subforums in other languages just to sate my curiosity lol and this Chinese site seems close to it http://forum.ccgaa.com/. Here's one thread with interesting progression http://forum.ccgaa.com/viewthread.php?tid=31692. I didn't look much more into it.

Also found out about the inspiring work of Yap Kun Rong. They post a lot of impressive speed paints. Very nice color palettes too.
arobro

Postby Peninsula » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:45 pm

Top stuff! And thanks for the heads up about those two arists - they're both pretty insane :)
Do you have a tumblr ?
Also known as Axelga2112, Rev. Mendelez, Clement Obodom and A. Næss
Check out my music playlist here!
My sketchbook
Peninsula
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby arobro » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:46 am

Peninsula - Thanks man! Yeah it's over here but I don't update often. :(

Haven't been here for a long time, sorry there. School and stuff got in the way of art. Here's some stuff from Daily Draw February although I lost steam early.

I think I'm slowly building up discipline again but I'm still finding it difficult to sit down and do some studies. Most of my art is just stuff for fun recently. Anything is better than nothing though.
arobro

Postby arobro » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:40 am

A couple of days ago I found out from a friend that it's World Watercolor Month?! So I decided to join in. Very inexperienced in watercolors though.

Day 1. Life painting in the backyard.

Day 2. Fanart...Though with this one I tried planing it out but still messed up. haha

Really excited for the Mob Psycho 100 anime. Been a fan for years... The animation quality looks on par with One Punch Man. :) And those hands..! Never seen such beautifully animated hands.
arobro

Postby arobro » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 am

Some more watercolors. :)

arobro

Postby ash+bones » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:11 am

Love all of this, in particular those surreal drawings from July 3!
ash+bones
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby arobro » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:23 am

ash+bones - Thanks very much! : D

More more watercolor watercolor!

I want to be more active on this site but...pretty distracted with other matters. Gotta try...
arobro

Postby arobro » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 am

Painting from the backyard.

lol fanart
arobro

Postby arobro » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 am

Will try to be more active...

Fanart
arobro

Postby arobro » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:48 am

Original stuff

arobro

Postby arobro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:19 pm

woah woah Haven't been here in a while. Some art. I have more but I'll post the decent ones.

Been trying to figure out how to make money with my art. Not sure how to go about it. hmm..
Attachments
mobsummer2small.png
mobsummer2small.png (380.26 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
sunset guy.png
sunset guy.png (309.91 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
puffin.png
puffin.png (319.93 KiB) Viewed 2311 times
arobro

Postby arobro » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:54 pm

These studies are from last year. Felt inspired while watching a documentary.

Hmm. This place isn't too active anymore is it? What other forums do you guys frequent? I've been looking at Sycra. Even CA seems more active than here. I'd still want to keep this thread active even if I branched out to another site.
arobro

Postby arobro » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:57 pm

Tried designing a shark character
Attachments
shark ref.png
shark ref.png (455.99 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
arobro

Postby arobro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:50 am

A drawing from inktober! Tried working with perspective as much as I could.
Attachments
Cts2VjqWEAAw52r.jpg
Cts2VjqWEAAw52r.jpg (477.81 KiB) Viewed 2119 times
Last edited by arobro on Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
arobro

Postby arobro » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:13 am

Another inktober. Recently I haven't been doing as many studies though I really should! I've been concerned with building up my portfolio and producing more finished pieces. I still have a backlog of art to post in the coming days.
Attachments
Ctx9PDSXEAAU0KC.jpg
Ctx9PDSXEAAU0KC.jpg (418.25 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
arobro

Next

Return to Sketchbooks