Rubi's happy garbage v2.1

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Rubi's happy garbage v2.1

Postby rubicante » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi, I'm new. Getting decent crits (or any crits for that matter) around the internet is pretty hard so I'm hoping this place is different.

To start things off, some crappy spaceship doodles, a spacesuit sketch where I got distracted, and a lamp design. If you feel the urge to tear them to shreds, knock yourself out. :P

rubicante
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Rubi's happy garbage v2.1

Postby jay hugo » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:11 pm

Hello Rubi,

Welcome to the forum. This stuff looks really great so far and I don't think those spaceship doodles are crappy and that lamp design looks very interesting and cool. One thing I would crit actually is what you said in your comment on how you think your work is crappy. In my mind downing yourself in forms or in any public place makes people feel kinda uncomfortable in a way and makes people withdraw from you. Anyway I think your work is nice and you have a good sense of form and perspective and not bad design.
jay hugo
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Skold » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:36 am

Hi Rubi!

You're clearly better at designing than I am but I noticed a few things about your spaceship designs.

Of the more refined line sketches the two big ones are a bit confusing. I think that you might be using to many different shapes. Having circles, triangles, rectangles and other shapes takes away from the overall design and you "loose" the theme. So for instance when you are starting to sketch think about the function of what you are drawing. Like a blocky freight carrier or an aerodynamic fighter.

Really like your stuff though, keep it coming!
Skold
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby rubicante » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 am

So uhhh... I got sidetracked by Street Fighter V releasing. Onwards and upwards, right?

Jay That's really good advice actually, and something I never really gave much thought. I'll make an effort to explain why I don't like things instead of just writing them off as "crappy" in the future.

Skold You're absolutely right. In fact, it was bothering me that I used too many different shapes in the lamp, yet I completely derped in that regard on the spaceships. I guess unfamiliarity with the subject matter made me throw common sense out the window. :/

Now, some older alien head warmup doodles that I found in my sketchbook and hadn't scanned yet, and some even older ones that I decided to paint up. These are a lot of fun, I want to do more of these.

The rest are for activities on conceptart.org, (human) queen of the robots and a nazi, cat–hunting, mouse–controlled mech. Yeah, I don't know either. Didn't finish the queen because I couldn't come up with an interesting way to add detail to the figure. Should have gone with one of my other thumbs.

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:07 am

A creature design that derailed and turned into a mech thing and more monster doodles.

rubicante

Postby jay hugo » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:44 am

I love seeing your sketches...awesome work. Please post more :)
jay hugo
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Enydimon » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:21 am

I really like your rendering on your creatures. Your hatch work kind of reminds me of Berserk which is cool.

Your forms are really solid, no doubt because you seem to have a good grasp on perspective, but I feel like your colours fall pretty far behind in comparison. They're not terrible but they don't really sell your pieces as well as your line work does. I think if you put some focus into colour theory you'd really see the benefits. The last mech design does look better in that regard, though.

How are you finding drawing all that stuff digitally, though? Are you working off a cintiq or just a regular tablet? Your work is very clean, either way I assume some of it just comes from being good at draftsmanship in general. Setting up manual grids digitally always seemed like an obviously necessary pain in the ass, then again I'm not very good at it traditionally so I guess that's part of it, lol.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby rubicante » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:58 am

Jay Thanks, will do. ;)

Enydimon I have been focusing on drawing, perspective and design for quite a while now, I imagine my colour work will have suffered. And to be honest, I don't really care at the moment, it's not a priority. :)
I'm on a cintiq, I hate doing line art on an intuos. Which isn't to say that it isn't perfectly possible, just unpleasant. Most of it is just practising a lot with pen on paper, here's a link to some of it, and I would highly recommend taking Peter Han's dynamic sketching classes on CGMA.
I tend to freehand most of my perspective, having an idea of where your horizon and vanishing points are is generally enough, but if you want to do it in Photoshop this plugin makes it nearly painless.

Small egg update, more heads, and a quick spacesuit doodle. The spacesuit has some interesting ideas, I think, like the helmet being based on WWII bombers, but as a whole it's pretty incongruous. Might refine it later as I am in need of some suits for a personal project.

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Tue May 03, 2016 7:09 am

Don't have time at the moment for much more than some rather uninspired head doodles.

rubicante

Postby Doctore » Tue May 03, 2016 7:27 am

Love the pencil!
Doctore
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby rubicante » Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks.
Attachments
Hed.jpg
Hed.jpg (147.5 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
rubicante

Postby rubicante » Thu May 19, 2016 7:07 pm

Probably the least inspired page yet, but I seem to have drawn through my dearth of ideas. Reffed the mouth–open face, learned some unexpected details so will probably do that more often from now on.

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:39 pm

Been busy with contract work and dying pets. Here are some mermaids I did after reading Charles Stross's Neptune's Brood.
rubicante

Postby rubicante » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:13 pm

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:44 am

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Really started noticing how out of practice my painting is with this one. Guess I'll work on that.

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:39 am

Kind of rushed character design thingy.

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:23 pm

Some more warmup creatures doodles; a character illustration where I experimented with my process that didn't really work out; homework for a car design class. It's frustrating how I can draw things in perspective just dandy, but as soon as it has four wheels I revert to toddler level drawing ability.

rubicante

Postby rezzealaux » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:51 am

I share your apprehension of four-wheeled objects.

At least for me I think it comes from how it's one of the few things with something that we know has to be a circle, so we feel like we can't exaggerate it like we do with other elliptically curved things that we know don't "have to" be circles, and there's multiple instances of it, so not only does it have to look like a circle, it has to be a copy of that other circle.

I think your approach is the right idea; to separate the wheelbase and be confident about its appearance first, before adding any concept of a "car" to it.
[Yukio] Mishima had been asked, “What is the passion that drives you?”
He replied, “Being brought up during the war and being told at the age of 20 that everything until then had been a mistake — that’s all.”

[Sketchbook]
[Blog]
[FB]
rezzealaux
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby rubicante » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:02 pm

I don't think that's it though, I worded it poorly. My ellipses are usually sort of okay, and you can always fix them in photoshop after the fact.
It's more of a complete unfamiliarity with the subject matter. I draw stuff in sideview and I think I understand the shapes, then I try to go to perspective and find out I have no idea how those curves behave in 3 dimensions, no idea of proper proportions in perspective.
On top of that, I think I know what for instance a front bumper looks like, everybody does, right? Then I try to draw it and find out I'm clueless. Then you look at ref, think you figure it out, and 3 other problems crop up.
THEN you add the crappy ellipses and crappy line quality from the constant redrawing for the finishing blow. :P Makes me rage.

Anyway, I'm done moaning. Here's some more car struggles. I suppose I'm improving somewhat? Although it's mostly cheating by drawing everything from the same angle.

Side view from ref.

Following tutorial and figuring some things out.

And presto! :P Sort of a Porsche/Ferrari frankenstein.

Roadstery thing. Too fantastical.

SUV, heavily borrowed elements from ref.

Marker study. Still kind of wonky perspective, and sort of bent. Drawing is pretty large so was hard to see while working.

Almost forgot.
rubicante

Postby Styxcolor » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:44 am

Dear sensei, I admire the works displayed in your sketchbook. Even more than the artifacts I'm fascinated by the countless aliens. I guess they look so convincing because of the use of complex shadows and the mastery of those organic forms. My question would be, how do I get there? I think studying the planes of the face wouldn't be a bad idea for a start but I'm just asking whether there are further secrets. You seem to know them, if there are more : )
Styxcolor
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby rezzealaux » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:18 am

Perhaps the frustration is a gap of difference between what you think you know/can do and what you actually know/can do. Have you had similar experiences trying to draw hands or faces or some other regular and easily recognizable item? The way I get around that is by defining what's actually on the page (as opposed to what's in my head) as what I am actually capable of, then ask myself if I can do better or if I can think of something to improve. If the answer is yes I get to work with frustration changed into hunger. I haven't answered no yet.

The ones where you have 3-point perspective look decent to me, as someone who doesn't actually care much about cars. Maybe some tweaks here and there to make them more attractive, but nothing that can't be iterated on. The ones where you keep all horizontal lines parallel (minus the ones in profile) aren't pretty though. Are you using them to examine and figure out specific curves? I don't think I've ever seen a car presented in such a view.
[Yukio] Mishima had been asked, “What is the passion that drives you?”
He replied, “Being brought up during the war and being told at the age of 20 that everything until then had been a mistake — that’s all.”

[Sketchbook]
[Blog]
[FB]
rezzealaux
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby rubicante » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:56 am

Styxcolor
The short answer is practice. :P
The human head is an excellent place to start, you'd be surprised how far you can get with distorting or only using parts of human anatomy. I'd also recommend doing animal studies, concentrating on the overall proportions and small details.
To draw organic shapes, break everything down into simple shapes. That way, if you can render the terminator and reflected light on a sphere and cylinder, you should be able to figure out most complex forms. Imagining contour lines on everything you draw is a huge help too.
For the design part, I think it all comes down to shape design. First make sure the silhouette is a cool shape, then make sure the internal shapes and shadow shapes are nice, then figure out how to make things look good in 3D. Halfway through, ask yourself what animal your drawing reminds you of and use that to tie it all together. Then add some appropriate detail to help sell the idea and make it look a bit nicer. That's how I do it anyway.

rezzealaux
Hmm, tough. I think the frustration comes from the gap between what I expect to end up with and what's eventually on the page, and a lack of control over this. I suppose this is just rewording what you said. Often the only way to correct the mistakes is to start over with different proportions, go through the process again, and hope for the best. Reevaluate, rinse, repeat. As this gets better with practice, I suppose I'm frustrated at my own lack of knowledge? And how unintuitive cars are to draw.
The 3 point drawings have proportions that feel subtly off to me, but you're right, they could be iterated on. The parallel line drawings are just easier to do, so they remove the perspective problem while I try to figure out what a car looks like.
And likewise, I don't give a damn about cars, I'm just annoyed that I can't draw them. :P

rubicante

Postby rubicante » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:28 am

Forgot to keep stuff updated. More of the usual.

rubicante

Return to Sketchbooks