Heliux's Sketchbook

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Heliux's Sketchbook

Postby Heliux » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:23 am

Howdy! I'm Riley.
New-ish permanoobs; started an account I never did anything with.
-look forward to crushing it out with you guys! Feel free to shoot me many crits, or insights!
Here's some more recent stuff:

trying to get better at rendering and drawing in perspective.

*edit* Holy shit. Chazillah's bootcamp looks like just the kind of brutality I need in my life! XD
SKETCHBOOK WEBSITE TWITCH
"tho' I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet I was, by the endeavor, a better and a happier man than I otherwise should have been if I had not attempted it" -Ben Franklin
Heliux
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Heliux's Sketchbook

Postby Coconutish » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:07 pm

Should we do Chazilla's bootcamp together?? I love your style. It reminds me of more of traditional art(rathe than digital). I wish I could get that feeling into my own work. badass shadows on the first guy Riley
Coconutish
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Imbalantus » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:14 am

Sup Riley. Your stuff looks pretty awesome. Especially the first and last one. Great style.
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby PartySnack » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:23 am

weclome! stuff looking good.

I recommend considering planes more deliberately while you're painting. could at a robust element to the interesting look you already have going.
PartySnack
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Heliux » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:48 pm

@Coconutish; "Leeroy-Jenkins"
@Imbalantus; Thanks a bunch! I look forward to getting as good as I can! *_*
@PartySnack; Thanks, though about this insight for most of the day. You're definitely right. I have so many things to work on, its like being in a boat that's springing leaks everywhere! -but knowing is so much better. Do you have any particular method for practicing that's worked really well for you? -and thanks for the insight! :D

I did a animation thing for practice when I saw H.Sung's cubes in Chazillah's bootcamp; its not posting for some reason, I'm pretty new to using gifs, but maybe its the size? :\ **edit; fixed**
pretty down and dirty, but get at least the idea. Definitely wanna do more; you can see it here:

Last edited by Heliux on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"tho' I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet I was, by the endeavor, a better and a happier man than I otherwise should have been if I had not attempted it" -Ben Franklin
Heliux

Postby PartySnack » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:21 pm

I like the animation!

the method I use was first to draw considering planes, download/file.php?id=62691

then painting in terms of planes. basically breaking down planes by plane value by value, this face is sorta like that, download/file.php?id=66175

square brushes work well. I'm a bit tired, does that give you a good pointer?
PartySnack

Postby Heliux » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:29 pm

@PartySnack; Yeah! That's cool. I've been doing something like that for environment thumbs, but I'll give it a more intentional whorl! Thanks!

Still atempting to tackle Chazillah's boot camp...
Its pretty rough. I'm hoping the more I fill in the cracks of anatomy and construction they'll get smoother, more informed and less time consuming
Things I keened out of this:
-rotating items need to follow an along an axis
-need to clean up my lines vs. sacrificing more time to do it; timed clean reps
-objects in keyframes need to keep the same distance unless I'm speeding/winding up something
-keeping the same type of construction on a manikin to keep it consistent looking

Then a thing...damn knees. -_-'

Heliux

Postby Heliux » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:04 pm

Day 7 of 10 Chazillah's bootcamp 2...so many things to work on. Kind of paralyzing. I feel like I'm working too slow. probably will switch over to doing timed reps. Focusing on trying to dial figures into their proper space in perspective. Having trouble gauging depth of the same size in perspective. Want to make a note to retouch quicker musculature dial-ins and muscle form construction instead of just tubes and prisms. Figure reps are definitely helping with foreshortening issues. Need to keep the same single line forms, fingering around in the dark for the right line is muddling my scene. ;|

Last edited by Heliux on Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heliux

Postby Coconutish » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Riley *__* I'm so happyseeing your bootcamp work.Lol it's gorgeous. Keep up the hard work.Don't be paralyzed! I see those booty images helped on the last character
Coconutish

Postby Heliux » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:30 pm

@Coconutish; Thanks. :}
no more guess work with dat booty...
Heliux

Postby BigMisch » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:44 am

Cool stuff in here! Really like those animated ones!
BigMisch
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Heliux » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:53 pm

@ BigMisch; Thanks dood! ;P

Quick one tonight; my gpu fried on my desktop...good thing this isn't' the first time. ;_;
Hopefully I'll can pull the stuff off of it from the last couple weeks soon.

From time to time I'll day dream a giant crab explodes through the wall at work. Macro-crustacean shepherding would be a risky business...
Heliux

Postby Selblu » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:55 am

I really like the girl with a spear and the latest drawing of the crab! They feel so solid.
Selblu

Postby Heliux » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:01 pm

@Selblu; Thanks! That's awesome to hear. I've been working on my forms in line and perspective to really try and nail that down!

pushed an old one a little further tonight. might match the one on the right as far as rendering goes. Holding off on full renders till I feel a smooch better with some of my line work.

Heliux

Postby Will-Marton » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:19 pm

This last thing you posted is an awesome concept. I think the one on the right is totally ready to go in and finish if you want. The line work isn't perfect, but you've got everything you need to complete it! If you're not planning on keeping it as just a drawing, then I wouldn't worry to much about the lines unless you really plan on following all of those decisions to a T when the paint goes on it. At the same time I completely understand the want for better line work before going ahead to finish the piece. Haha.

Great stuff. :]
Will-Marton
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby chromaTinker » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:05 am

Great start to your sketchbook Heliux! Good balance of design work and studies. I'm especially liking those anatomy animations, those look really helpful. I used to indoor-rock climb a lot so I especially liked watching that one.
chromaTinker
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Heliux » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:09 pm

...a little busy, buuuut;

Heliux

Postby Coconutish » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:21 pm

*___* keep it up!!!!!!!!
Coconutish

Postby Heliux » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:00 pm

took too long on this. still needs some fixin' here and there. *walks around house making robot noises the rest of the day*

Heliux

Postby PartySnack » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:46 pm

that one is awesome, gotta work on the cleanliness tho!
PartySnack

Postby Coconutish » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:37 pm

*roombas around the kitchen*
Coconutish

Postby Heliux » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Sorry there fam.
Got a little busy. I'm here though <3
Yeah. I'm bad at finishing stuff/polish, but hopefully getting better at it. Definitely a multipart problem. Some of its not having an established workflow. Tried out a lot of other folks, for that "best fit" but that's certainly wasting a lot of time. Too much watching, listening, and reading, not enough practice in the trenches. Some of its fixing exploratory marks...reigning in chaotic lines and values sweeps with the brush. Some of its time and will to persevere and not lose interest on a captured idea. A lot of its going back and forth fixing the intermingling of ideas that push a fundamental out of alignment. I really need to start timing my longer paintings, so I can know when to keep pushing and persevere and when I'm just wasting time noodling. Looking at other people's finished polished work's been helping as a sort of polish "goal" to aim for. :\

Heliux

Return to Sketchbooks