Styxtastic Sketches

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Styxtastic Sketches

Postby Styxcolor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:10 am

Hm, sketched what I dreamed last night. Planes (geometry) attacked me. Hahaha. And I was that naked guy with the pickaxe.
Had to smash them all. Is that proof that reading is not healthy?

1. My scanner is so bad... I just decided to buy a new one, not looking at what should be higher in priority in my budget. This is just unbearable quality XD
2. Interesting how I seem to have forgotten everything I once knew about the proportions of the human body. I guess I will have to repeat as much as I can.

Sketch 01s.jpg
Sketch 01s.jpg (196.74 KiB) Viewed 943 times

And I hate landscapes (did you know?), so I drew one. Why not? I will eventually have to deal with backgrounds so why not try my luck today before I completely forget that there is such thing as a background at all. Hnghhh... I don't know. Somewhere on my way I just learned that landscapes are the most boring subject of all. Why though? No idea! This drawing didn't feel bad exactly.

Sketch 02s.jpg
Sketch 02s.jpg (313.3 KiB) Viewed 943 times
Styxcolor
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Nyatalie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:52 am

Hi Styx,

Your studies aren't half bad :D I think you would really improve the rhythm in your drawings by drawing things that are constantly moving. As for anatomy, I think you could benefit a little more in regards to understanding form with a bit of Michael Hampton, you can find his pdfs online( you've probably heard this already haha) and I think you could look into a bit of Bammes' anatomy illustrations as well. Also for proportions of the human body, as long as you keep it in mind, you will eventually begin to "naturally" have a feel for the proportions of the human body. I think environments are "less interesting" because we as humans find a lot more interest in living creatures, I think haha. But I do agree environments are important to grasp. Just remember to keep perspective in mind when drawing environments, and just study from life. Other than that, just remember to keep doing drawings from your mind to test what you know, analyze your work to see what you have to improve on, and go from there.

Keep it up!
Nyatalie
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Styxcolor » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello, Nyatalie!

Thank you very much for your feedback! This really motivates me even further ^^
I think I have a copy of Bammes somewhere around here and will look into it.

Yesterday in the evening I made another sheet of exercises for my hands challenge- proportions really are a big challenge at the moment. But I guess that I have to draw many many arms more, before I have fully understood what is happening here. I will probably repeat this today and/or do some gesture drawing focused on the arms:

Hands 06.jpg
Hands 06.jpg (148.15 KiB) Viewed 937 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Next unit of arms, keeping my schedule.
Thanks again for the feedback. I spent some time researching and thinking about all I have heared.
Thank you so much.

Had no time for gesture today, maybe tomorrow?

Hands 07.jpg
Hands 07.jpg (114.52 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:19 pm

And the next dose!
Trying to adapt to the feedback...while warming up thought about bodies in motion, dynamics and ...well, it resulted in strain. But that's good. I think those men look more vivid than my usual sketches from imagination. I often do not bother to use my imagination too much as it seems XD

Well, and about the hands- the hand in the left bottom corner is not o.k. I already received criticism and know, that I missed to see/include the dome shape of the palm. This hopefully won't happen again.

warmup.jpg
warmup.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 921 times

hands 08s.jpg
hands 08s.jpg (140.58 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:23 pm

Next load. Focused on rhythm and pattern.

Hands 09s.jpg
Hands 09s.jpg (143.86 KiB) Viewed 918 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:46 am

Okay, had scanner issues, therefore a bigger single upload instead of my usual dailies.

Hands 10s.jpg
Hands 10s.jpg (94.31 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Not my best performance obviously, but kept fighting...

Hands 11s.jpg
Hands 11s.jpg (84.96 KiB) Viewed 880 times

Better again:

Hands 12s.jpg
Hands 12s.jpg (58.97 KiB) Viewed 880 times

64/1000
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:25 am

Okay, was a bit more active today than usual :D

Unfortunately, no scanner available at the moment... everything from imagination today. Some are better, some not so good.

Catwip.jpg
Catwip.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 879 times

rehgirl wip.jpg
rehgirl wip.jpg (208.37 KiB) Viewed 879 times

hands 13.jpg
hands 13.jpg (186.2 KiB) Viewed 879 times

hands 14.jpg
hands 14.jpg (196.05 KiB) Viewed 879 times

manstudies 8.jpg
manstudies 8.jpg (156.54 KiB) Viewed 879 times

91 of 1000 hands
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:16 am

Today some comic relief to enjoy what is learnt huehuehue

skeleman.jpg
skeleman.jpg (167.87 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:16 am

Fun with colors this weekend...
Today I'll resume practising with a new plan. Prepare for more hands, but also other parts of the body and much abstract stuff to practise perspective.

Hirschgirl ends.png
Hirschgirl ends.png (498.26 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Hippiecat ends.png
Hippiecat ends.png (506.61 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Noj 1.jpg
Noj 1.jpg (206.4 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Noj 2.jpg
Noj 2.jpg (221.98 KiB) Viewed 856 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:06 am

Today's practise. Humble beginnings / repetition of perspective.

perspective 01.jpg
perspective 01.jpg (191.69 KiB) Viewed 851 times

perspective 02.jpg
perspective 02.jpg (220.16 KiB) Viewed 851 times

perspective 03.jpg
perspective 03.jpg (155.22 KiB) Viewed 851 times

92/1000 hands
Styxcolor

Postby SnowMoeka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:59 am

nice perspective studies, i like it. In figure drawings i suggest to work your way into portraing solid simple forms and establishing nice feeling of connection between solid forms.
SnowMoeka
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Enydimon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:32 am

Hey Styx, sorry it's been a while since I've checked back in here. I'm glad to see you're not afraid to tackle things like perspective.

I think most things I could point out right now can be fixed through mileage, so just keep drawing. Though if I could make a suggestion, make sure you're also drawing hands from photos. Hogarth's anatomy can be... questionable. There's something to be learned from how he draws figures in space, but just make sure you're checking back with nature.

Keep going!
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you two so much! I appreciate your feedback very much!

@SnowMoeka : Thank you for the hint. I am beginning to think that too and you confirm what I could only guess. I already do not worry about all the little details so much. And I also know that I still haven't understood the main forms, otherwise it wouldn't be such a pain to put them in a 3D-space or shade them correctly. I'll practise on! (and revise perspective too)

@Enydimon: Absolutely no problem, buddy! I really feel like I can achieve much, if I work hard NOW. I'm hungry and I'm on my way.
And yes, I know, that I need time and effort...and patience with myself. Also thank you for the hint with Hogarth. I've drawn my way through the first chapter of his book and when I did free hand drawings and other applications, I was startled that the results didn't look alive or realistic. I'll work with actual photos and I'll friendly persuade friends to be my hand models, also to study movement and different lighting. It's still more than geometry.

Thank you also for all the feedback you gave the other sketchbooks. I took the time and read it all, I could learn some bits and pieces for me, too. Thanks for the link to Dorian Iten's page. I'll definitely read more of his marvellous articles the following days.
Styxcolor

Postby SnowMoeka » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:32 pm

I think you've made some progress!
Don't get too cought into details such as muscles, defined anatomy, facial features and such details. I think just important landmarks to define large masses of the body will be more than enough, but feeling of form and connection of large masses is more important.
Keep it up! :)
SnowMoeka
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 am

@ SnowMoeka: Thank you again! Unfortunately, I had no time to practise the human figure today. My training plan prefers the basics of perspective at the moment, but training the human figure will be the next chapter after I finished revising the basics/learned the basics again.

Yesterday, before your feedback I've drawn a thumbnail to test what I had learned about perspective. Wasn't fully in control of everything, but still like it somehow. The masses...ohhh... but not drawing humans at all is no option xD

Noj 3.jpg
Noj 3.jpg (165.57 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Todays outcome:

Sketch from my way to my workplace, from imagination after arriving at work (but of course before work):

perspective 04.jpg
perspective 04.jpg (162.07 KiB) Viewed 838 times

Aaand... I wanted to know whether I can look down into a deep well with a one point perspective...I guess I can. This piece really carried me away, I forgot everything and was so deep in the flow that I literally "woke up" after finishing it XD

wishing well s.jpg
wishing well s.jpg (255.12 KiB) Viewed 838 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:56 am

Phew...another two. I was tired today and a bit discouraged without reason.
At least I did try something new and deconstructed a human into more basic forms. :D

perspective 05.jpg
perspective 05.jpg (185.07 KiB) Viewed 814 times

perspective 06.jpg
perspective 06.jpg (191.21 KiB) Viewed 814 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:10 am

So, my exercises for today ^^ a whole set of photo studies in perspective 8 <3
I currently focus on understanding the principles of perspective (and I still struggle here and there), but my dear... why is it so difficult for me to make straight lines without a ruler XD straight lines, what is that XD well, I'll tackle that too, but not today.

perspective 07.jpg
perspective 07.jpg (151.14 KiB) Viewed 798 times

perspective 08.jpg
perspective 08.jpg (242.55 KiB) Viewed 798 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 am

I woke up with the urge to do studies like these with old great comics.
I found out that much storytelling/dynamics lie hidden in ...perspective. Knowing/mastering perspective is a more powerful skill than I thought.
It's bitter that the difference to what I have been doing is not THAT big...still big, but achievable. Bitter! But better to know it now, than to never know it.

perspective 09.jpg
perspective 09.jpg (254.58 KiB) Viewed 793 times

100 /1000 hands *yippieeee*
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Mon May 01, 2017 8:54 am

Good day to you all :)
I took the weekend off. Today I'm back with new experiments and studies! I feel like I am making progress. I begin to understand faces as geometry as well, but this is just the beginning. And I guess I'm torturing my markers/liners at the moment, but this will also get better with more mileage. It's already better than it was ^0^

From imagination:
heads.jpg
heads.jpg (156.36 KiB) Viewed 685 times

Studies plus extra bits, added to test whether I really have understood the room(s):

perspective 10s.jpg
perspective 10s.jpg (315.65 KiB) Viewed 685 times
Styxcolor

Postby Enydimon » Mon May 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Hey Styx, good effort with the perspective studies.

If I could point something out about the well piece it would be that the person and the bricks are working against you. The bricks look like they're all more or less the same size and don't feel like they get smaller as they go further back into space. The person in the piece looks as if they are on a completely different plane. I'm not sure if you wanted them laying down and looking in or standing up and look into it, but in either case the perspective doesn't really sell it. They look like they're standing up too much to appear like they're lying down and their legs don't go underneath their torso far enough for it to read as them standing up.

When in doubt, overlap.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 am

Thank you very much, Enydimon!
I knew the piece with the well was wrong the moment I had placed the person in it. I shaded it, knowing it was wrong, but I didn't know how to do it better at that moment.
I needed some time to figure out what was wrong and basically came to the same conclusion you have drawn here ^-^
This is very good for me, so I guess I'm on the right path to learning/understanding it.

People and how they work is a reoccuring problem in my drawings, I will tackle this problem after I'm done with revising perspective.
I think I would draw the well picture differently by now, so the learning curve is steep xD
But I don't worry myself too much with people until I have solved my fundamental problems with them. I have a plan for that (at least I hope so).
Learning/revising perspective helps me very much to imagine what I'm doing.

I'm not sure whether I can deliver new studies today, I've spent quite a time reading a tutorial and working my way through two further chapters of Norling. Up until here, I really liked his book, but our opinions differ concerning the eight chapter. Distorted perspective is beautiful in my eyes. I can't help. It's like the dark sheep of the family brother of natural perspective.

edit: well, at least something ^^ a bit practise from imagination

perspective 11.jpg
perspective 11.jpg (224.51 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Wed May 03, 2017 8:26 am

I'm a bit reluctant to share this, but I have to, otherwise we might miss an important step in my development.
I drew a quick paneling exercise this morning. This girl and this man are waiting since 2011/2012 or 2013 to be drawn. They appeared in one of the best nightmares I ever had, and I still have their story in my mind, I can't forget it. I guess it will stay forever, whether more comic will become out of this or not.

So, well... I'm happy I could draw at least a bit of them. It gives me a sense of fulfillment.

Well, I also did some more perspective studies today, but they were rather not successful. I learned a lot, but my hand shook very much and I also had to reduce complexity to practise everything I wanted. Will of course repeat the new exercises tomorrow.

paneling.jpg
paneling.jpg (154.32 KiB) Viewed 616 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Sat May 06, 2017 7:26 am

An illustration for a change :D
Doing something for the digital quota in this sketchbook!

ZD 2018 preps.jpeg
ZD 2018 preps.jpeg (45.45 KiB) Viewed 585 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Sun May 07, 2017 3:27 am

More food for the digital quota in this sketchbook.
The precision is not good, many things are not good, but I'm more confident than before and I like that.

ZD Banner intermediate End.png
ZD Banner intermediate End.png (174.2 KiB) Viewed 560 times
Styxcolor

Postby Willlake » Sun May 07, 2017 5:57 am

Hey styx,

theres a lot of personality in your work :) keep at it man! looking forward to seeing more
Willlake
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Sun May 07, 2017 6:43 am

Thank you so much for this praise, I really appreciate it!

I'm currently doing many tasks that are related to art but which I cannot even share here, such as deciding what to tackle next (apart from learning), reading about art, looking at tutorials.
But whenever I have something, I put it here.
Styxcolor

Postby Willlake » Sun May 07, 2017 7:06 am

looking forward to it :)
Willlake
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Styxcolor » Sun May 07, 2017 11:47 am

Some rough character concepts for my comics ^-^
Partly this is fruit of the great art chats on the permanoobs Discord channel.
Thank you all very much. I don't just talk about making comics. I create them!

Charadesigns e.jpg
Charadesigns e.jpg (109.11 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Styxcolor

Postby Styxcolor » Mon May 08, 2017 9:54 am

Hm, a test. My hand is still shaking very much. I do precision exercises, but the lasting effect is not fast.
Well, I still enjoyed that.

edit: and I have no idea why the quality is so bad/it's so pixely...

Mermaid sho.jpeg
Mermaid sho.jpeg (33.49 KiB) Viewed 509 times

Hands: 102/1.000
Styxcolor

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks