Dae Learns to Draw... The Horror

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Dae Learns to Draw... The Horror

Postby EliteDaedalus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:57 pm

So, for my first post, here's some stuff I've been working on recently...

With the sketches, I practiced using an approach to rendering suggested by John Muir Laws, marking out the shadows and highlights, and treating everything in between as halftone. I find this way of rendering works a lot better for me, though my values still turn out lookin' kinda blotchy. (-_-;)
I don't think I like using graphite, it's a bit fiddly... and it has that sheen that interferes with shadows. I'm gonna try using carbon, which won't have the sheen and will make for some more painterly rendering, see how that goes.

The painting is from ref of the "Barcelona Pavilion;" it turned out pretty well in terms of perspective and basic form, but when it comes to texture, colour, and light, I'm lost. Digital is pretty hard to get the hang of, because you can do so much, achieve the same result in more than one way, it's pretty daunting.

Suggestions welcome, let's get better together... derp. (/◕ヮ◕)/

Seriously, what is the point of crotchless panties?

MAH SKETCHBOOK: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3529
EliteDaedalus
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Dae Learns to Draw... The Horror

Postby EliteDaedalus » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:09 pm

So, taking Algenpflegger's advice, I've decided to draw 100 hands and "see what happens."

Here are the first 15, done mostly without reference. I got to hand eleven and thought "shiz, I'm doin' good - sort of."

Hands 1.jpg
Hands 1.jpg (493.98 KiB) Viewed 722 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby Styxcolor » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 am

Welcome to permanoobs!
I really like the idea behind your hand practise and I'm already curious where it will take you.
Maybe I'm the only one with that bug, but the pictures in your very first posting are not displayed to me.
Styxcolor
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby EliteDaedalus » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:49 pm

@Styxcolor
Thanks dude! Only 85 hands to go. (-_-;)

The problem you may be having with the first images is that they are hosted on imgur, so you'll need to right click and select view image. :)

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:57 pm

So, here are the next fifteen hands. One thing I've learned is that I'm damn good at drawing, as long as I'm copying someone else's lines. (-_-;)
Only 70 more hands to go. :/

Hands 2.jpg
Hands 2.jpg (445.26 KiB) Viewed 688 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby Styxcolor » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:01 am

Ah, thanks for the explanation, now I can look at them!
And keep up the good work with the hands. Of course, (almost) everything is easier with references, but I think you already improved in the understanding of the masses of the hand from what I see. I should try this 100 hands challenge as well...nothing to loose : D
Styxcolor
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby EliteDaedalus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:27 pm

@Styxcolor
Yeah do those hand draws, gogogo.

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:24 am

Here's some more hands, I think I need to consider the way I approach things more deliberately and try different methods, instead of just repetition.

hands 3.jpg
hands 3.jpg (504.8 KiB) Viewed 639 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Whew, it's been a while... I pretty much decided to abandon the hand drawing challenge for now, it didn't seem to be paying any dividends. I've been going over my approach over the past few weeks and I've found that, for measuring, sight size works for me better than anything else I've tried. I can actually kinda draw things accurately now! And I feel far less frustrated while I work, it's just easy! (/◕ヮ◕)/

I also went over how I approached rendering, and did some experiments. I've always tried to render based on the nine step value scale and edges, (like pretty much every book on drawing suggests) but my drawings have always come out really blotchy and inconsistent. (;n;) I watched a rendering tutorial by Ron Lemen and pretty much ignored everything he said, except, he mentioned something about contrast. So I began experimenting with rendering focused on the idea of contrast rather than value. The important things are: the light and dark contrast over the entire image, the light and dark contrast of the light and shadow, and the light and dark contrast of areas that are close to each other... and edges. This seems to work much better for me, that is, forgetting about trying to identify exactly what value I'm looking at and then trying to put exactly that value down on the paper, I just think about how light and dark areas of the subject are relative to each other, and... I seem to be getting the hang of rendering! (^O^)/

There is still, however, some problem with texture, I think it may be the paper that I'm using, too cheap... (v.v) Anyways, have a look at some stuff, and maybe try sight size and focusing on contrast in your own drawings. Les all git gud! >_>^ ^<_<

Contrasty.jpeg
Contrasty.jpeg (365.33 KiB) Viewed 485 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Thought I'd repost the image smaller so yous can see the whole thing at once.

Contrasty P.jpg
Contrasty P.jpg (32.86 KiB) Viewed 482 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:42 pm

So, here is my first ever portrait painting. Done in gouache, with a round sable brush, from online reference.

My first attempt at a gouache painting was pretty successful. (/◕ヮ◕)/ The drawing turned out good, the first stage of painting worked really well, I achieved quite a good likeness, and the painting has form.

There are still a few problems, or more; what is the point of the dark background and its gradual lightening downward? There were places where the brush wasn’t really capable of painting as broad or narrow strokes as I needed, so the smaller strokes ended up too big, and the broader areas became blotchy. I had an issue with loading the brush with enough paint, and I'm still having trouble managing the palette; right now I'm using a sponge wrapped in baking paper, but I think a ceramic plate would work a lot better One of the eyes is too big. There isn’t really any texture, and the tones are not very smooth, or, the painting is blotchy. I had problems with the layers underneath re-activating when I tried to add tones over the top and smooth things out, and the layers underneath contaminated the lighter layers on top. The contrasts are a bit wrong, too much in the ear or something, and I think, not enough in the face. (;一_一)

Anyways, comments welcome, and see if you can get something out of this... ヽ(´ー`)┌

Oldie 3.jpg
Oldie 3.jpg (53.31 KiB) Viewed 352 times

Oldie Base.jpg
Oldie Base.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 352 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:06 am

So, here's my latest attempt, a digital painting in SAI of the gentleman from the previous post.

It surprised me how good this turned out, once I saw it off the canvas where I wasn't tempted to fiddle with it... well, not as much. I'm not sure about the texture, and some of the values are not quite in the right place. I'm still pretty confused about how to use painting programs, they're usually not very intuitive, and I've been avoiding putting in the time and effort to really learn to use them properly. (-_-;) Although I find SAI to be much more beginner friendly than Photoshop, and somewhat easier than TVPaint.

I don't know what else to say, I painted the dude, there he is!

Oldie Paint 1.jpg
Oldie Paint 1.jpg (57.55 KiB) Viewed 248 times

EliteDaedalus

Postby EliteDaedalus » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:04 am

So, here's a portrait I did in Photoshop.

I managed to achieve a pretty good likeness, though I had to mess with it a little too much, move the eyes around with the quick selection tool etc. The main problem I have is working out how the hell to paint digitally in the first place, constantly changing opacity settings and the size of the brush drives me nuts. I still don't really know how to paint texture, especially what role the texture of the brushes play.

Spent about four hours on this, rushed the last bit because I was sick of messing with it. I could have considered the dark-light contrast a little more, but mostly it turned out well. Weirdly, I rushed the hair but it didn't turn out so bad. Hair... how you even do that?! \(;n;)/

Portrait 1.jpg
Portrait 1.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 79 times

Portrait 32.jpg
Portrait 32.jpg (76.48 KiB) Viewed 79 times

EliteDaedalus

Return to Sketchbooks