Just another noob trying to git gud

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Just another noob trying to git gud

Postby Dani » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:43 pm

Dani
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Just another noob trying to git gud

Postby JakeB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 am

Nice stuff. For the still lives, it'll help a lot if you include the background as well, or at least rough in some background colours. Should make it easier to work out the colours accurately. For the studies, just really focus on the colours and the shapes. Look at the colours relative to one other, and keep comparing with the reference. Mostly it's just a matter of practice I think, but it's something to keep in mind. Keep it coming :)
JakeB
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Chaklet_Cookiee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:40 am

There aren't any noob or pros here! Some people have just started earlier! Your stuff are cool, i love the first study ^, but try to work more on your anatomy knowledge!
Chaklet_Cookiee
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby forrestimel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Hey there Dani, good start so far :)

I definitely recommend not only drawing from photos though. If all you do is draw from photos then after a while you will be able to draw from photos REALLY well, but when you do anything from imagination it'll look like total garbage. Now, it's good to keep studying, you gotta train your eye to see all sorts of things, but I think what's most important for you now at this stage is to learn what those things are that you have to train your eye to see and study those specifically.

For all of those studies of nude women you've done you could be studying many different things from those, values, colors, skin tones, anatomy, gesture, form. But at the moment you're just copying the image, trying to get it to look exactly like the picture and not learning too much along the way other than how to copy pictures better. I really recommend taking the time to study things one at a time, for now you should be looking at anatomy and gestures and probably do some periodic life drawings as well. But only paint in black and white for now, once you've mastered values then you can move on.

Look at Loomis' books or Hampton's anatomy book and study from those and go to http://www.quickposes.com/pages/timed to study gestures. Study the shit out of this stuff if you really want to improve, study it and THEN draw from imagination, try and train your memory to remember poses, muscles, etc. etc. Drawing from imagination is really important if you do want to improve so don't forget to make time for it, your drawings from imagination might not seem all that great but you have to do it anyway ha.

Obviously, still have fun with this. Don't lose sight of why you enjoy drawing or want to get better at it. If you really really REALLY don't feel like studying anatomy or something then don't stress it, paint or draw something that you do want to paint or draw. Just remember to study smarter and not harder and you will save waaaaay more time, trust me :)

Hope I could help, and please stick with it <3
forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Dani » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:27 pm

Thank you all very much for the help!

JakeB: Thank you, I'll try including some of the background the next time I do a still life. I have a lot of difficulty picking colors accurately, so hopefully this will make it easier!

Chaklet_Cookiee: Haha, but I thought the name of the forum meant that everyone was a noob, no matter how old? :) Thank you, I'll do more anatomy studies.

forrestimel: Thank you very much! While I do work from imagination, I probably don't do it as much as I should. I'm always frustrated with my lack of knowledge whenever I try to draw personal things, so I feel like my time would be better spent studying than doing self-indulgent crap. I'll make more time for it!

In the meantime, I've picked up Hampton's book and have been sketching along as I read. I really struggled trying to draw the box in perspective at first, so I had to go find a real box and draw it propped up in different positions.

Dani
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Return to Sketchbooks