Pushin through hard times.

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Pushin through hard times.

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:47 pm

I'm trying to figure out where I want to go with my personal stuff.
Attachments
personal2.jpg
personal2.jpg (239.63 KiB) Viewed 1493 times
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:32 pm

quick update witch some warm up pages. Friends asked me to do some stuff for them and I couldn't say no. Sorry if the updates are lacking :(
Attachments
sketching8.jpg
sketching8.jpg (250.51 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
sketching9.jpg
sketching9.jpg (191.79 KiB) Viewed 1465 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:48 am

Trying around with perspective. Need to works on my hands badly.
Attachments
sketching11.jpg
sketching11.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
sketching12.jpg
sketching12.jpg (113.12 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:58 am

Weird life stuff just keeps piling up. Ahh. Have another perspective sketch.
Attachments
sketching13.jpg
sketching13.jpg (123.83 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Update.
Attachments
sketching10.jpg
sketching10.jpg (190.67 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
sketching14.jpg
sketching14.jpg (92.91 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:19 pm

Character... design??
Attachments
sketching15.jpg
sketching15.jpg (145.62 KiB) Viewed 1396 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:16 am

I'm so slow with these. Hmm. I still wanted to get a sketch in today :/
Attachments
sketching16.jpg
sketching16.jpg (87.86 KiB) Viewed 1388 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:52 am

Today's drawing went really well. I actually manaed to clean it up. D: Strange how that goes sometimes.
Attachments
lionman.jpg
lionman.jpg (69.69 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:38 am

Finally a finished piece. I just have to get myself to do more.
Attachments
harpyfin.jpg
harpyfin.jpg (68.51 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:08 am

Another drawing.
Attachments
bigmama.jpg
bigmama.jpg (70.2 KiB) Viewed 1343 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:08 am

Wolfi drawing.
Attachments
wolfi.jpg
wolfi.jpg (106.24 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Imbalantus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:51 pm

The best sketches so far imo are
download/file.php?id=71830
download/file.php?id=71917 (especially this one)
download/file.php?id=71981

The main reason is that they have a great, natural and dynamic pose. Your lineart is fine, the designs are fine aswell. But too often the pose is either too static, or awkward and unnatural. Note that the very first thing the viewer grasps (long before he understands the nuances of design and lineart) is the pose. And if the pose isn't any good then it doesn't matter if the design or lineart is good or not, the viewer will automatically have a negative attitude toward the drawing. On the other hand, if the figure has a great pose, but the artist made many mistakes in the details, the viewer's attitude will still remain generally positive toward the drawing.

Great sketchbook overall. I'm checking regularly. Your designs are kinda unique and "weird", but in a good way, so I'm really curious to see how you will develop. :)
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:56 am

Imbalantus wrote:The best sketches so far imo are
http://forums.permanoobs.org/download/file.php?id=71830
http://forums.permanoobs.org/download/file.php?id=71917 (especially this one)
http://forums.permanoobs.org/download/file.php?id=71981

The main reason is that they have a great, natural and dynamic pose. Your lineart is fine, the designs are fine aswell. But too often the pose is either too static, or awkward and unnatural. Note that the very first thing the viewer grasps (long before he understands the nuances of design and lineart) is the pose. And if the pose isn't any good then it doesn't matter if the design or lineart is good or not, the viewer will automatically have a negative attitude toward the drawing. On the other hand, if the figure has a great pose, but the artist made many mistakes in the details, the viewer's attitude will still remain generally positive toward the drawing.

Great sketchbook overall. I'm checking regularly. Your designs are kinda unique and "weird", but in a good way, so I'm really curious to see how you will develop. :)

Hey Imbalantus how is it going? Thank you so much for the great advice! I think a lot of it also comes down that I'm still struggling with my anatomy. I hopefully find a way to get my poses to feel more natural and relaxed but it may take awhile until I get the hang of it

I'm secretly stalking your sketchbook, too btw. Your grayscale portraits and figure studies are the bomb as well as your space ship sketches. I'll hope you find time to update soon! Haha anyways...

Here is a study of hand. I found these really cool photos of hands in these weird light situations and thought I'll hit two birds with one stone by copying them because I hopefully get better at hands and colors. +++another drawing+++
Attachments
study7.jpg
study7.jpg (55.04 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
easternwarrior.jpg
easternwarrior.jpg (70.39 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Enydimon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 pm

You're killing it with these designs but I think the only way to really get better at posing is to just observe and draw lots from reference unfortunately.

Regarding the Harpy I think you can push the polish on it a little further:
paintoverzip.jpg
paintoverzip.jpg (157.63 KiB) Viewed 1300 times

I'm not gonna comment on the anatomy, but one of the issues that I found was that the values could have been pushed further and the brush strokes were too muddy. To create more of a focal point via value I went over the head, shoulders, and chest with the dodge tool set to midtones. From there I added in some highlights manually so the viewer is more focused on those areas.

I also simplified some of the brush strokes as the colours and shapes were getting too muddy. You either want to avoid using a bunch of tiny brush strokes to blend or you want to use them in a way that is more uniform toward a bigger overall shape. Think of painting as more as using and designing appealing shapes to get the viewer to see things rather than painting just to paint.

Also used an iris blue (photoshop) to lazily push things back a little. There's more you could do to paint over top of those ideas, but that's the most I can do in under 5 min, haha.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Enydimon wrote:You're killing it with these designs but I think the only way to really get better at posing is to just observe and draw lots from reference unfortunately.

Regarding the Harpy I think you can push the polish on it a little further:
The attachment paintoverzip.jpg is no longer available

I'm not gonna comment on the anatomy, but one of the issues that I found was that the values could have been pushed further and the brush strokes were too muddy. To create more of a focal point via value I went over the head, shoulders, and chest with the dodge tool set to midtones. From there I added in some highlights manually so the viewer is more focused on those areas.

I also simplified some of the brush strokes as the colours and shapes were getting too muddy. You either want to avoid using a bunch of tiny brush strokes to blend or you want to use them in a way that is more uniform toward a bigger overall shape. Think of painting as more as using and designing appealing shapes to get the viewer to see things rather than painting just to paint.

Also used an iris blue (photoshop) to lazily push things back a little. There's more you could do to paint over top of those ideas, but that's the most I can do in under 5 min, haha.

Heya Enydimon!
Thanks for the super detailed crit. Now I feel bad for always just dropping a few sentences on people's sketchbook. Please everyone forgive me... I'm kinda tired and probably lazy D: Shame on me.

Anyway. You make some really good points there. I especially agree with the values. I think someone pointed this out to me on my dark souls series and I think it still holds true... my value range is really poor. Also the brush work still ehh. I think I'm kinda guilty of painting just to paint. I often paint with no idea what I'm doing than actually think about the shapes. Lot of ut comes probably down to lazyness. The greatest of art sins hahaha. Thanks for sparing me on the anatomy. I know the heads to big and the hands are way to small and the arms and stuff and all... I could go on. The perspective was killing me. I tried. :(

So thanks again also for the paintover! Trust me I know a good paintover can take up lots of time so no worries and do get what you're trying to convey. These are things I'm going to look out for more now.

Anyway. I need to scan some stuff so today just some hands. Gosh those red were so vibrant I kinda messed this up haha.
Attachments
study8.jpg
study8.jpg (66.22 KiB) Viewed 1289 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Enydimon » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:09 pm

I think the only issue you're having with it is you're missing the yellow(technically green) light in the photo. If you look at the light on the reference it's actually teal, and just right outside the spectrum of green. On your version you're on the opposite end of it. Your reds and shadows are actually pretty okay, it's the inaccuracy of the background colours that's just making it look off. You'd be surprised how much different colours sitting next to each other can change the hue perception in a drawing/photo.
Enydimon

Postby arobro » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

I really love the look of your character designs and the silhouettes of your characters. The hand studies recently are looking good. Hope to see more!
arobro
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:38 am

@Enydimon: Yeah that could be it. I do however also think the hands a little to big compared to the original. And I'm still struggling with those smooth transisitions man haha.
@arobro: Hey thanks! I'll hopefully have time for more :D

Just some warm up sketches today. I swear anything that isn't DARK pen lines my scanner just won't scan properly. I guess you just have to believe me now that I've done some pencil anatomy studies... not that you care haha D:
Attachments
sketching17.jpg
sketching17.jpg (192.73 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
sketching18.jpg
sketching18.jpg (200.43 KiB) Viewed 1215 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:44 am

Eww bot herpes.

Anyway here are some unfinished studies and some sketches.
Attachments
study9.jpg
study9.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
study10.jpg
study10.jpg (46.67 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
sketching24.jpg
sketching24.jpg (86.9 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
sketching25.jpg
sketching25.jpg (70.89 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:48 pm

Update. I did a little series of paintings that had a lot of lake in them so here are some studies. I don't know if I want to show the actual pictures... maybe some other time.
Attachments
study11.jpg
study11.jpg (113.6 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
study12.jpg
study12.jpg (158.64 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Back to school for me :/ I at least wanted to get one personal illustration done. So here it is. You could probably push it a little fruther but I am so done. Crits and stuff are always welcome though!

Also some warm up sketches and a study.
Attachments
sketching19.jpg
sketching19.jpg (181.38 KiB) Viewed 931 times
sketching20.jpg
sketching20.jpg (165.15 KiB) Viewed 931 times
study13.jpg
study13.jpg (46.26 KiB) Viewed 931 times
personal3.jpg
personal3.jpg (78.43 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Enydimon » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:14 pm

Man, I really gotta start doing some building studies. Those environment studies are looking great, though. I think they balance the right amount of detail.

I think regarding your latest personal piece, the silhouettes could be stronger. The contrast between value and colour are also so low in the centre of the piece that it's hard to actually see where the breaks in silhouette are. If you gave the naga lady more space, moving her higher up but making her really lean down into it, it might have helped.

Goodluck with school. Hope it doesn't eat your art time too badly.
Enydimon

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Enydimon wrote:Man, I really gotta start doing some building studies. Those environment studies are looking great, though. I think they balance the right amount of detail.

I think regarding your latest personal piece, the silhouettes could be stronger. The contrast between value and colour are also so low in the centre of the piece that it's hard to actually see where the breaks in silhouette are. If you gave the naga lady more space, moving her higher up but making her really lean down into it, it might have helped.

Goodluck with school. Hope it doesn't eat your art time too badly.

Hey Eny! Thanks! I find very close character interactions really hard so I'm working on that now. So thanks for the crit. I keep thinking what you and some of the other user said about brushwork management and I think I really want to invest more time into that now!

Anyways:

Sorry for the absense. It's just homework after homework after assignment after lectures.... aaahhhh D: Oh well. I don't want to complain. It is just very exhausting.

Here are some very bad studies. Why do they suck so bad? Why are the face proportions all over the place? Well I painted them upside down and let me tell you: It makes painting faces a lot harder. So here some major suckage haha

Also a new personal piece:
Attachments
study14.jpg
study14.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 720 times
study15.jpg
study15.jpg (44.59 KiB) Viewed 720 times
personal4.jpg
personal4.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 720 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Enydimon » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:24 am

Sometimes life has a way of kicking us in the pants. Still good to see you were able to work on something despite all that, though!

For the latest personal piece, the perspective of the background doesn't really line up with it. It's true that perspective doesn't need to be nearly as rigid in forest scenes, but the characters look upright enough that adding that skyline just makes them kind of look like they're awkwardly floating. I would get rid of the horizon entirely and maybe use clumps of tall grass or flowers to create interest rather than the sky. I would also push the values of the legs of the person underneath darker so they don't blend in too much with the person on top. Their legs aren't nearly as important as their faces in this scene, but I would still pay attention to value separation between the two figures.

Also regarding brush stroke management, maybe simplifying values would be a good idea. I think you might just be caught up with trying to blend everything too much. I recently read this article from Dorian Iten that really stuck out to me: http://www.dorian-iten.com/shading-mistakes/

And I suppose this one would be helpful too when it comes to forcing limitations: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/

With digital art it's super easy to just dive into a billion different values and hues and still make everything look too muddy or busy. With traditional painting you simply can't do that without spending a lot of time mixing paints and it keeps you more grounded and thoughtful with your choices. So the way that I see it is that if you can establish everything in your painting with about 5 main values or so, then you're golden. Then you can go in and add more values to create texture or interest if need be.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I'm all learning this shit too!
Enydimon

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:14 pm

Enydimon wrote:Sometimes life has a way of kicking us in the pants. Still good to see you were able to work on something despite all that, though!

For the latest personal piece, the perspective of the background doesn't really line up with it. It's true that perspective doesn't need to be nearly as rigid in forest scenes, but the characters look upright enough that adding that skyline just makes them kind of look like they're awkwardly floating. I would get rid of the horizon entirely and maybe use clumps of tall grass or flowers to create interest rather than the sky. I would also push the values of the legs of the person underneath darker so they don't blend in too much with the person on top. Their legs aren't nearly as important as their faces in this scene, but I would still pay attention to value separation between the two figures.

Also regarding brush stroke management, maybe simplifying values would be a good idea. I think you might just be caught up with trying to blend everything too much. I recently read this article from Dorian Iten that really stuck out to me: http://www.dorian-iten.com/shading-mistakes/

And I suppose this one would be helpful too when it comes to forcing limitations: http://www.dorian-iten.com/value-study/

With digital art it's super easy to just dive into a billion different values and hues and still make everything look too muddy or busy. With traditional painting you simply can't do that without spending a lot of time mixing paints and it keeps you more grounded and thoughtful with your choices. So the way that I see it is that if you can establish everything in your painting with about 5 main values or so, then you're golden. Then you can go in and add more values to create texture or interest if need be.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I'm all learning this shit too!

Hey Eny! Thanks for always being so helpful! You're a real gem haha <3
I was intending for them to be lying on a slope but well that didn't turn out right :/ Fuck.
I tried around with some vegetation. I do think the horizon isn't working so thanks for the suggestion.

I think I'll leave at that for now. I might come back but at the moment I'm just so sick at looking at it D:
Next try!

Also thanks for the links. I'll check them out. Every little bit helps. Haha

Okay so I'm now studying people who's bushwork I enjoy the most to see how they're doing it.
First one is piotr jablonski. (Amazing artist)
Attachments
personal4.jpg
personal4.jpg (53.4 KiB) Viewed 697 times
study16.jpg
study16.jpg (37.08 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:22 am

Update. Still busy D: Have to hold a presentation about the different number systems in math (basis 10, 2, 16, 60) which is just.... great really.And after the presentation I have to write a small scientific paper about it... which is... even more...thrilling.

Here are some warm up sketches and finally some pencil studies.
Attachments
sketching21.jpg
sketching21.jpg (189.27 KiB) Viewed 606 times
sketching22.jpg
sketching22.jpg (201.01 KiB) Viewed 606 times
studies7.jpg
studies7.jpg (48.14 KiB) Viewed 606 times
studies8.jpg
studies8.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Zipfelzeus » Wed May 03, 2017 9:22 am

Some stuff. Mostly studies? I'll scan some personal sketches on the weekend hopefully?
Attachments
sketching23.jpg
sketching23.jpg (198.69 KiB) Viewed 521 times
studies9.jpg
studies9.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 521 times
studies10.jpg
studies10.jpg (56.39 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby telthona » Fri May 05, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi there!
Cool stuff in here

but - i like your lines and sketches better than i like your illustrations, and its because the colors you use.
It seems that you are avoiding using black, by using some gray-blues or gray-greens but you use a lot of white when you "light" the characters and when you add these two quirks together then you get washed out color palletes. Try to use more saturated blacks (like dark rich brown or dark rich purple) and more saturated light colors (yellow, reds, oranges, saturated blues) it should do the trick and your paintings will get some more vibrance and life :)
telthona
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Tue May 09, 2017 2:13 pm

telthona wrote:Hi there!
Cool stuff in here

but - i like your lines and sketches better than i like your illustrations, and its because the colors you use.
It seems that you are avoiding using black, by using some gray-blues or gray-greens but you use a lot of white when you "light" the characters and when you add these two quirks together then you get washed out color palletes. Try to use more saturated blacks (like dark rich brown or dark rich purple) and more saturated light colors (yellow, reds, oranges, saturated blues) it should do the trick and your paintings will get some more vibrance and life :)

Heya telthona
Are you new here or do I just not remember your name? Anyways thanks for coming by! You have a kickass gallery there my friend.
Thanks for the comment. I've been trying to improve my colors for a while now. It's just so terribly difficult for me :( I'll try out your suggestions!

---------------
Is it just me or is this place getting a bit busier lately? Did someone promote our forum? Well I'm still busy as always. I felt so tired that every extra hour I get to sleep during the week is like some sweet cocaine.

Here are some studies and a new personal piece. I went a step back and concentrated only on one character thid time.
Attachments
study17.jpg
study17.jpg (69.26 KiB) Viewed 388 times
study18.jpg
study18.jpg (32.46 KiB) Viewed 388 times
personal5.jpg
personal5.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Zipfelzeus

Postby Willlake » Wed May 10, 2017 3:24 pm

yo zip! i like the forest study you did a lot :) keep going man!
Willlake
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks