Sophie attempts to draw!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Sophie attempts to draw! Critiques more than welcome!

Postby Alberto_ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:42 pm

hey great studies and analysis you are making. it's awesome to see you did all 30 days
with your master studies I can see you are missing the values and edges, this are meant to be a study by copying the elements that makes the painting great, I would recommend doing them in grey scale first. Will give you a better understaing of value.

keep the good work.
Alberto_
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Sophie_Draws » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:33 pm

Alberto_ - thank you. I will try and get the values etc more accurate. And I'll hopefully get back to a bit of greyscale painting.

Gonna try and stay with the regular updates.
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (245.39 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Random 713.jpg
Random 713.jpg (104.57 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Sophie_Draws
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Ink-insomnia » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:52 am

In the master study I feel like you've made the face way too sharp; the original face is much softer. Not too big of a deal if you're not studying brushstrokes but it might help to tone down some of the highlights (in the eyes mostly) as they're making it seem much shinier and in-focus.
Just a tiny little nit-pick, it's looking really great so far, you've nailed the colour! :)
Ink-insomnia
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Sophie_Draws » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:51 pm

Ink-insomnia – thank you :) I get what you mean. I really did struggle to recreate the same look; I’ll try again on the next accuracy study and really try to get it.
Here is the next accuracy study, the colours are sooo off. I really struggled with it.
Attachments
10.jpg
10.jpg (211.18 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Random 714.jpg
Random 714.jpg (88.74 KiB) Viewed 1872 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby sartre's slippers » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Hey! So I think your lori study is good, but the values and face structure are a bit off; here's a quick paintover to show you what I mean:
for-sophie.gif
for-sophie.gif (464.99 KiB) Viewed 1860 times

**It's useful to look at the images you're working on in b/w every now and then (similar to flipping them horizontally) to check the values.
sartre's slippers

Postby Sophie_Draws » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:06 pm

Thank you so much for that! I've realised I always make faces too wide as well. I'll start switching to grayscale during my next study as well.

Here's the next accuracy study, I had work today so not as much as I would have liked.
Attachments
Study 1208.jpg
Study 1208.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 1845 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Sophie_Draws » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:24 pm

Calling it a day with this one, otherwise its gonna take forever to reach 30. The face is such a mess, though D:
Attachments
11.jpg
11.jpg (105.16 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Aestechnics » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:36 pm

Nice to see more accuracy studies! At the same time though, I feel like focusing on painting accuracy and values / colors may be putting the cart in front of the horse if you don't have that drawing on total lockdown yet. Don't be afraid of spending lots of time using the different visual measurement techniques - not just horizontal lines, but also plumb lines, angles, and anthropomorphizing shapes in order to get the drawing right before moving onto the painting.
Really though you've been doing good and consistent work on this challenge, and I just hope you keep it up!
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook here! Would love to get any criticism or feedback you have!
Aestechnics

Postby Sophie_Draws » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:47 pm

Aestechnics – Hey, thank you for that. I’ve been really lazy with measurements so I’ve tried using more today. I’ll try and stick with it!

So I’m not posting number 12 because it was a catastrophe haha pretty much because of what Aestechnics mentioned. So once I went through the period of ‘I suck, I should just stop’ I’m back to it! I’m doing the How to render matte surfaces video currently. I will post the pencil stuff tomorrow… hopefully.
Attachments
Study 1212.jpg
Study 1212.jpg (44.37 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Study 1213.jpg
Study 1213.jpg (35.86 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Study 1211.jpg
Study 1211.jpg (49.29 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Random 716.jpg
Random 716.jpg (38.58 KiB) Viewed 1790 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Sophie_Draws » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:16 pm

Stuff from today and yesterday.
Attachments
IMG_0654.JPG
IMG_0654.JPG (41.85 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_0656.JPG
IMG_0656.JPG (45.27 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG (40.52 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_0658.JPG
IMG_0658.JPG (40.02 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG (45.57 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Random 717.jpg
Random 717.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (68.01 KiB) Viewed 1751 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Alberto_ » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:34 pm

this master study has a good color observation, the feet of the front look way to light and shadow way to dark.
good you are studying gesture and the head :)
Keep the good work.
Alberto_

Postby Sophie_Draws » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:18 pm

Alberto_ - Hello! You’re right about the feet! The colours are so off there. Thanks for pointing it out :)

Little update, slept in, had work today blah blah
Attachments
Random 717.jpg
Random 717.jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Study 1215.jpg
Study 1215.jpg (30.23 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Satu » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:31 am

Hey there Sophie! Not sure if i've ever commented your lovely sb but i've meant to many times.
So yeah I find you sb really inspiring! So much hard work and improvement in here. I really like how you mix studies and imagin stuff and I really love your figure and face studies. One thing that i noticed in your figure studies is that you have tendency to sometimes make legs little too small compared to the torso. Keep up will be following your progress! :)
Satu
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Aragah » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:08 am

Hey! i think its worth doing some studies soley focusing on values. and then do some studies soley focusing on saturation.
You are still largely painting what you think you should paint with values and saturation, and not whats actually in front of you.
specially on the saturation, it requires some real finesse to pay attention to whats more saturated and whats not.
Sketchbook (NSFW)

Check out these sketchbooks!
Squasar
Chazillah
Aragah
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Sophie_Draws » Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:00 pm

I’ll post replies tomorrow! It’s getting late but I just wanted to update. Going to learn this stuff if it kills me haha.
Attachments
Study 1216.jpg
Study 1216.jpg (55.39 KiB) Viewed 1693 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Ink-insomnia » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:02 am

Really really cool to see you working so hard every time I check back in here! I can't wait to see the level you're at in another 5 or 10 pages if you keep up this momentum! I second what Aestechnics and Aragah touched on though - it seems like you're trying to tackle everything all at once and you're getting lost. Getting the underlying structure right is the most important thing; on your latest study your values are more or less on point, all the mistakes are in the structure really (head too square and slightly too wide, facial features too high on the left side) Maybe dial back and just focus on drawing for a while, or at least spend twice as long on the basic block in of line, shape and form. It might seem like it's slower and you're doing less but it's much more efficient in the long run to really nail the draughtsmanship side. Throwing in a few drawings from life as well, as it's much easier to get used to describing things in 3D when you're not just constantly copying 2D images.
I hope that helps a little! Keep things coming!
Ink-insomnia

Postby Sophie_Draws » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:16 pm

Aragah – Hey, thanks for the advice. I will try doing some studies just focusing on values for a bit and then get back into using colour. You are right when you say I paint what I think I see, I catch myself doing it way too often.
Satu– Ah, thank you! That’s so nice to read. I’ll try and sort the leg issues out!
Ink-insomnia – Yep, I think my problem is because I don’t have as much free time as I’d like (but who does) I tend to panic and attempt to do everything. I think it’s down to the fear of being stuck in my current job forever haha. Once I’ve finished my current accuracy study, hopefully by Thursday, I’ll start the next one and actually spend a good amount of times on the lines until I’m as happy as possible with it. I’ll try and get a couple of still lives in this week as well!

So here is some stuff from today, mostly anatomy. I’ve start the next accuracy study, but after reading the comments above I know I didn’t spend enough time on the lines again so I’ll do that for the next one. Also, I’m hoping to do the Halloween challenge. I'll get updated on other sketchbooks tomorrow :)
Attachments
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG (129.89 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG (164.33 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG (135.76 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
IMG_0662.JPG
IMG_0662.JPG (135.97 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
IMG_0666.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG (61.45 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
IMG_0660.JPG
IMG_0660.JPG (138.4 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Study 1217.jpg
Study 1217.jpg (135.04 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
lol.jpg
lol.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Sophie_Draws » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:17 pm

Here are some digital bits from today. I’m having a bit of self-doubt when it comes to art. I’m taking on some extra hours for a bit soon and I sometimes feel like I’m just gonna end up in a shitty job forever because I’m taking thousands of years to get any better. Haha. I wish I knew people irl who did this art thing, there aren’t even any life drawing classes here. Sorry, needed to vent a bit tonight, I need to stop whining.
Attachments
Study 1218.jpg
Study 1218.jpg (118.37 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Study 1217.jpg
Study 1217.jpg (144.48 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Doctore » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:52 pm

Hey sophie always stay positive and have a healthy mentality, art is a long journey.

As for some of your posts i see that you have a problem seeing the bigger value structure ( you focus on more micro value changes then the bigger gradiation) This can make your painting hard to control and will always end in a muddy (if dealing with color) or not unified look.
Attachments
Study 1216.jpg
Study 1216.jpg (55.74 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Doctore

Postby Sophie_Draws » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:32 pm

Doctore – hey, thanks. I always get caught up in little details, you’re right I need to focus more on the overall values.

Hey, guys. Sorry for not updating! I have been drawing still. Here are a couple of the accuracy pieces.
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (279.04 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
16.jpg
16.jpg (225.42 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby Peninsula » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:03 pm

You're improving too quickly right now hehe. This challenge was exactly what you needed to push forward :) Keep up the high spirit
Also known as Axelga2112, Rev. Mendelez, Clement Obodom and A. Næss
Check out my music playlist here!
My sketchbook
Peninsula
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Alberto_ » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:29 pm

Great stuies, I have done over 20 in greyscale and they are wonderful to improve values, I would recomend you to do some :)
Keep the good work.
Alberto_

Postby Satu » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:58 am

Great studies, now moar updates! About the self-doubt, those feelings are really familiar to any artist. I have lots and lots of them, seeing so many people progressing so much faster than me and at a very young age too. Right now I have about 1-3hours to drawing daily (little more in weekends), I have dayjob and small kid. So often I get the feeling I'm not going to make it and I'm studying it wrong. Also not having art friends in rl is sometimes very frustrating as it often feels like even my closest friends don't get this and only thinks this is a hobby for me.

But then I try to remember that I'm not in any hurry and we all will get there at our own pace. The master artists are the same people as us, they have struggled and struggle the same things than we. And they don't have any magic hands but the very same hands that we have and our hands are capable of doing the very same things as theirs. And you love doing art right? The feeling what you get when you are drawing and painting. Try to hold on to that! Don't compare your journey to others, your journey is yours and unique, nobody else has the excact same. Some people learn faster than others but that doesn't mean they are the only ones who will get there and be better artists. You do this cause you love it and you wan't to get better at what you love and you will when you practise it. Just enjoy the ride as well. And you are already doing very good and improving! Just keep at it :)

Here's also Jonathan Hardesty's interview if you haven't seen it. It's very inspiring and he's talking about these same things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hnyjx2eBg8
Satu

Postby Alberto_ » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:08 pm

Hope you are still painting :)
Alberto_

Postby Sophie_Draws » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:38 am

Peninsula – Thank you! I do feel like they are helping.
Alberto_ - Hey, I will definitely try to do more greyscale because my values are still pretty dodgy in some places! I am still painting, not as much as I should have been but hopefully back to it now. :)
Satu – Thank you so much for that! You’re 100% right, we will all get there at our own pace. Best of luck with your journey. I watched the interview, and it is really inspiring so thanks for sharing it :)

Hello! I’m hopefully back from that brief disappearance. I’m feeling a bit more positive now and I’m trying to get back into planning my studies for the day/week so I can make sure I’m focusing as much as I can. I’ll try and update every other day at least, since some days will have a lot more work than others. I should have enough time to get a good amount done now, so I’m just putting that there to keep me accountable. No more being lazy. haha
Anyway, here are a couple of bits. I’m still sticking with the accuracy challenge; it will be nice if I manage to finish it by the end of the year… I’ll try and do a lot more greyscales with it as well since as you can see I’m still struggling with that. I’ll catch up on other people’s sketchbooks soon. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow :)
Attachments
17.jpg
17.jpg (107.61 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
18.jpg
18.jpg (341.14 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Random 726.jpg
Random 726.jpg (164.71 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Random 727.jpg
Random 727.jpg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby chazillah » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:14 am

WOW yeah , the studies really improved. glad you did that challenge! now let's see you analyze your imagination work and fix those mistakes (feet, arms,etc).

you should beastmode through some anatomy books way more often
fix those feet!! get them on the floooorr
where is your horizon line in "random 727.jpg" ??? how would the feet look?
don't forget to consider the center of the figure too, your balance is off a bit (think of spine to head connection etc..better yet, study it)

you can do it!!
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Aestechnics » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:10 pm

Look at that improvement :D Very nice work on those accuracy paintings, and I'm happy to see that you're back and making art.
I second chazillah's crit, it's really important to know where your ground plane and horizon line are at in illustrations. The simple advice of encasing the entire figure in a box and then seeing where the box is placed in perspective is always useful. Hope to see more of your posts soon!
"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply.
Being willing is not enough; we must do."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Sketchbook here! Would love to get any criticism or feedback you have!
Aestechnics

Postby Gangrenous Machinery » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:39 am

Wowowow you're back! Those last studies are really nice! Hope to see more soon :D
Gangrenous Machinery
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Sophie_Draws » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Chazillah – ah thank you. I’m going to try and work on my anatomy a lot more, so many silly mistakes. And you’ve definitely caught me slacking with not putting the effort in to place figures properly. Thanks for the kick.
Aestechnics – Thank you, I’ll try studying like that this week!
Gangrenous Machinery – Thank you :)

So this is from today aside from some pencils that I haven’t got time to photograph, I tried some 15 min no opacity studies and failed so miserably but I’m posting them solely because they work as good motivation to stop being so bad. I’m calling this accuracy study done because I just don’t know how to do the jewellery….
In regards to placing figures properly in perspective should I draw the figure then draw the ground ‘square’ or box or the other way around? Just for studies not actual illustrations.
Attachments
opacityfail1.jpg
opacityfail1.jpg (69.39 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
opacityfail2.jpg
opacityfail2.jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
18 2.jpg
18 2.jpg (261.31 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Random 728.jpg
Random 728.jpg (96.31 KiB) Viewed 1345 times
Sophie_Draws

Postby chazillah » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 pm

Keep doing the no opacity studies. those aren't terrible, and they're just gonna get better and help you loads =)
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks