CGAddict's Sketchbook (nudity)

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: CGAddict's Sketchbook (nudity)

Postby cgaddict » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:57 pm

Current update, blocked in all the base colors:

cgaddict
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:09 am

Worked on the image some more, focused on lighting and form, trying to give it as much depth as possible at this stage:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:04 am

I started on a new Sci-Fi themed illustration, below is the sketch, some steps, and the current progress:

Here's today's update:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I altered the alien's anatomy a bit, hopefully it's much more natural now. I worked on the image a great deal since the last update, worked in a lot of details and pushed the values further, as well as added darker shades to give it a more believable feel. Here's the current update:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:26 am

The image is pretty much complete at this point, spent a lot of time on the detailing and texture work to really bring it to life. I'm still open to any final input before I consider this finished, so feel free to critique!

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:17 pm

I finalized the image, here it is:

Had the time to resume work on the Harley Quinn illustration, here is the current progress as well:

Feedback is welcome as always :)
cgaddict

Postby Enydimon » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:03 pm

I think if I could pin point one thing that could improve your pieces it would be a better control of your saturation.

For example with your Harley Quinn illustration, taking the eyedropper tool, the only things that dip under 50% saturation are the greys (which are impossible in this case to make without doing so) and her skin colour. Everything else hovers between 50-99%, most of it averaging around 77%.

Compositionally this can cause issues, such as the Joker's jacket getting lost within the background. And even though the background might not have as many large value jumps and shifts as Harley, it's still competing equally with her. Things like this can create focal point issues in the same way that rendering everything with equal detail or giving everything the same same value scale would.

With regards to your alien and astronaut piece, the larger issue is that the lighting is not working for the piece very well. I've done a really quick and sloppy paint over:

painterovercgaddict.jpg
painterovercgaddict.jpg (441.3 KiB) Viewed 1209 times

I didn't bother to mess around with the background too much but you get the idea. Your background has a very bright light source, and by proxy, the majority of the piece is really bright. From a logical point of view, having the figures have that much reflective light on the side of them facing away from the light source doesn't make much sense, but from an artistic standpoint it robs your piece of greater impact.

It all comes back to contrast. Contrast between hues, contrast between values, contrast between shapes, etc... If you want something to pop out instead of fade back into the abyss or become noise then it needs a juxtaposition of some sort. With rim lighting it can get tricky if the light source is right behind them like in this piece, but the main idea here is that by making the values on your figures darker, the impact of that sun suddenly works better. Now the figures stand out. If something in your piece is important for the viewer to acknowledge then make sure it gets seen and is easily readable.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby cgaddict » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:04 am

Enydimon: That's some excellent feedback, thank you! I'm going to keep everything you said in mind for future works, I know I tend to oversaturate colors at time which is a bit intentional, but I don't want the image to suffer because of it as well, so I need to find a better balance. Thanks for the paintover as well, might go back to that piece in the future and rework the lighting a bit!

I finished up the Harley Quinn Pin-Up Illustration, very pleased with how it turned out. Here is the final version:

I'm still in 'Fan Art' mode, so I worked on a sketch based on the Zelda series. Spent quite some time on the linework, here is the current sketch:

Any feedback is always appreciated, as always.
cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:16 am

Here's the first color pass, trying to avoid over-saturation at this stage. I'm going with a golden color scheme as I want it to have an iconic feel, pretty pleased with the coloring so far:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Made some progress on the painting, using only hard edged brushes at this point, defining form, lighting, etc. Pretty happy with the progress, and I'll keep in mind not to go crazy with over saturation which seems to be a recent bad habit of mine. Any feedback appreciated as always!

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:25 pm

Current progress, pretty pleased with how it's coming along. I altered the central character's jaw and chin a bit to make it look more natural, still needs a bit tweaking, however:

cgaddict

Postby Enydimon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:57 pm

I feel you. I like a lot of brightly saturated art too, but I find the best stuff is very masterful and careful about how they are using their saturation. I'd take a look at some brightly saturated art you like and really examine what makes the colours look so good. Maybe do a study of one. I personally think Laurel D. Austin handles colours amazingly on that spectrum, but you'll probably have good results with anything that really excites you.

Onto the critique, I think maybe if you dropped the visibility of the top of his hat, the perspective would be a bit more convincing. I'm not sure if you're trying to make it look more like a low poly model, but Link's facial features feel a bit too flat across his face. You might want to experiment with making them wrap around more and maybe shift them a tad bit upward.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 pm

Enydimon: Great feedback! I usually have a lot of success doing Master Studies in regards to learning about color and saturation, so I might go back to that when I get the chance. I haven't worked much on Link's face as of yet, but I do want a slightly anime-like style for the image so that's a bit intentional on my part.

Taking a break from my Zelda piece to work on a Steampunk themed illustration for some friends, just finished up the sketch:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:21 pm

First color pass, going for a rich magenta to gold color theme with this, pretty pleased with my color choices so far:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Been working nonstop on this image, it's starting to come together although it still has ways to go. Focused on rendering form exclusively with hard edged brushes:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 am

Worked on the image some more, spent quite some time rendering the characters which are seem to coming together. Background still needs a lot of work. Current progress:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:14 am

Current progress, it's finally coming together:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 am

Current progress, it's slowly getting there...

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sat May 20, 2017 12:41 am

I finalized the Steampunk illustration; Quite pleased with how this one turned out, and I'm happy to hear that my friends are extremely happy with it, so mission accomplished! Here is the final image:

I've been freelancing non stop as well, and one of the projects inspired a personal piece which I hope to work on during my free time. It's a depiction of Gaia, and I want this image to be very straight forward. Below is the sketch followed by some flats, obviously still in very early phase:

Feedback is always very much appreciated!
cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sat May 20, 2017 9:19 am

Worked on the image a great deal, pretty pleased with how it's turning out, pretty much exactly how I have it envisioned so that's always a plus. Going to play up the detailing and texture work on the figure soon:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sun May 21, 2017 1:13 am

Worked on the image further, defined it a lot more and smoothened out the brushwork of the figure. I want to do something creative with the skin texture so she looks more moss-like, probably will create some custom brushes to do so. Here is the current progress:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Fri May 26, 2017 11:08 pm

Current progress, it's almost there!
cgaddict

Previous

Return to Sketchbooks