CGAddict's Sketchbook (nudity)

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: CGAddict's Sketchbook - Updated Daily (nudity)

Postby Imbalantus » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 am

I really love that you do such nice rendering and that you do finished works, always nice to see updates from you.

I think a valueable thing for you right now would be working on colour in a deeper way. I'm not sure if it's intended, but right now your colours seem a bit naive and unharmonized, i.e. trees are brown, skin is pink, water is blue, grass is green etc - as a result you get a palette that is not harmonic and you have the entire rainbow in every picture. As an antidote you can look at the works of masters and take their palette as inspiration and then limit the colours in your picture to the range of colours that they use, this is one way to work against the habit that causes your work to look like a rainbow.
Imbalantus
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:49 am

Palladium: Thanks! In general I try to give the same amount of effort to each part of the painting, but like you said that could cause the image to be a bit monotonous and boring, so I'll watch out for that!

Imbalantus: Thanks, that was a bit intentional on the Aphrodite piece which I wanted to be very vibrant, but not so much for the Artemis piece. With that said, I'll definitely be more conscious of my color choices for future paintings!

Haven't updated this thread in a bit, I haven't been lazy just working on freelance work, most of which I can't show due to NDA. I did start on a new image today, however, a portrait of Jesus which I wanted to paint for quite a while. This image might be used on a much bigger project if all goes well, so I definitely want to put a lot of love and care to this image. Below is the final linework and the beginning of the block in process.

cgaddict
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Stardustlarva » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:52 am

That work in progress is looking pretty good. Though maybe the sleeves could be a bit more warped or drooped given the position of the hands. That might just be me though.
Stardustlarva
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:58 am

Stardustlarva: Thanks, didn't put much thought into the sleeves to be honest, but I'll see what I can do!

Worked on the image a bit more, using only hard edged brushes at this point, will smoothen it out when I'm happier with the values. I also created a custom brush for the foliage which was a huge help to paint the trees.... They look a bit sharp now I'll probably soften them up a bit at a later point....

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:29 pm

Worked on the image a bit more, notably on the skin adding darker values for a more realistic feel:

cgaddict

Postby Joelhladky. » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:30 pm

nice Jesus portrait. Id spend a bit of time working on the hands, I have a hard time with them too, but something just doesn't look right. Sometimes things turn out better after you render them out, but I find I work better with a well drawn foundation and then build up from there.

hope you dont mind but here's a quick little paintover with a ref of my own hands and a trick for general knuckle proportions. Basically if I remember this correctly when the length of the first knuckle is X then each knuckle bone length afterwards is 3/4 the length of the previous finger bone. So the length of knuckle 2 is .75(x) and then knuckle 3 is .75 of knuckle 2. So it is .75(.75(x)) I only eye ball it when I draw but I find it a nice guide if I'm trying to problem solve on the spot without a reference around.

cgaddictjesus.jpg
cgaddictjesus.jpg (88.37 KiB) Viewed 1212 times

Anyhow awesome work here! great stuff! I hate when people crit anatomy and never give a good explanation. Hope this made some sense and might come in use one day! Cheers!
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:12 pm

Joelhladky: Thank you; And you're right, those hands can definitely be tricky to tackle. Thanks for the paintover and critiques, I'll definitely apply it by the next update, appreciate the time you took to point out the anatomy.

Here's an update on the piece, it's getting there!

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 am

Worked on the image a bit more, refined it a bit and worked a lot on the hands.... It's pretty much finished at this point, not sure if there's anything I could improve even further but I'm still open to any feedback:

cgaddict

Postby eristhe » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:16 am

Looking good! I would work some more on your drapery, the basic shapes are there but could use some more reference and attention to improve. :)
eristhe
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:38 pm

eristhe: Thanks, I'll revisit that image soon and work more on the drapery :)

Been quite busy with some freelance work, just finished a bunch of caricatures for a client. The images are going to appear much smaller than the size I posted, so I didn't go too crazy with the details here, just wanted them to look nice and clean....

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:12 am

I decided to take a break a bit from drawing/painting human figures and I'd like to expand my work a bit to include more sci-fi and fantastical themes, so I began work on an alien piece. I'm having a blast painting this piece so far, and I plan on adding a ton of detail here. Any input as always is greatly appreciated:

Here is the initial linework:

And this is the current progress, still very early:
cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:52 am

Worked on the image for several more hours, concentrating on form and lighting at this stage while avoiding the urge to do any serious detail work.... It's getting there!

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Worked on the image for a few hours, here's the current progress:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am

Took a break from this piece to focus on something I'm working on, an action scene between a Space Marine and an Orc. I don't usually paint action scenes so this was a nice change of pace for me. Here's the linework plus the current progress stage:

cgaddict

Postby Enydimon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:11 am

Hey there, you've gotten some good critiques on colour so far but I think one of the things that is tripping you up is that everything is the same level of saturation in your paintings. This is also something I'm trying to fix in my work as well.

A good simple example is in your caricatures. The background and the figures are all competing in saturation and it makes it uncomfortable to look at. Saturation can be handled in similar ways like how value and hard and soft edges are handled. As a rule of thumb, the further away something is, the less saturated it tends to be. This can also be manipulated with where you want the focal points to be. You can still make a vibrant picture without making everything maximum saturation or using tons of colours.

I'd also recommend looking into how the atmosphere and light affect colours and pushing it more than you are currently. Right now it seems like you're using too much of local colours to describe gradients.

Hope that helps.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby cgaddict » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:42 am

Enydimon: Thanks, that seems to be a recurring problem with my recent paintings... I'll try to be more conscious about this when painting digitally, thanks for your honesty.

I found out I was using the wrong dimensions for the Space Marine vs Orc image, so I dropped it and started on something new with a different composition. Below is the sketch and current progress:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:41 am

I worked on the image a bit more, here's the latest progress:

cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:45 pm

Another update before I catch some precious zzZZzzz's :P

cgaddict

Postby Jellydong » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:56 pm

Hey Cgaddict I love how I can tell you know your forms and they aren't just made up or bs'ed. Something I think you could work on is shadows and lighting, I think it would be awesome if you tried odd dramatic lighting/shadow patterns or just practice composition value so you could have different effects for your paintings other than a spotlight etc. That's all thou ^^
Sketcbook: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1239
░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄­▄▄▄▄
░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀­▄░░░▀█▄
░█░░░░▀░▐▌░░▐▌░░░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░▀░▐▌░░­▐▌░░░░█▀
▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░▀▄▄­▀░░░░░▐▌
Jellydong
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby cgaddict » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:46 am

Jellydong: Thank you, I love handling forms so I'm glad it shows up in my images! I'll try other techniques with regards to light and shadow in the near future.

Been working on the image throughout the day, really exhausted to be honest but I'm quite satisfied with the image:

cgaddict

Postby Ambiguity » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:22 pm

I know it's probably too far along for you to want to change anything, but for future reference I think you should pay more attention to gesture and implied gesture.

I did a crude paintover to show what I mean:
https://i.imgur.com/LyYjrMW.png

It helps me to try to think of what it would look like animated, and exaggerate the movement so much that it'd be really obvious what is going to happen or what already happened.
My Deviantart
My Sketchbook Feel free to drop in and offer advice :)
Ambiguity
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Hai » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:33 pm

hey man, cool sketchbook! your strenghth is definitely the form render. i would just pay more attention to more beautiful shapes(composition, so the image has huge impact from afar.
Hai
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Kontrapunktus » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:53 pm

There are three main types of tangents, these aren' t the official names but they're what I like to call them:
    -True tangents, where the boundaries of two objects touch eachother making it hard to tell which is in front
    -No-touch tangents, where two objects are so close to each other they nearly touch. They're close enough to almost be a tangent and it has the same effect.
    -Compositional tangents, where two objects do not touch, are distant from eachother (on the X and Y axis) but due to lack of overlapping elements it's hard to tell the scale. A good example of this is a drawing where a person is supposed to be standing in the distance but it looks like they're just a little tiny person.

Avoid these tangents by overlapping!
Kontrapunktus
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 am

Ambiguity: I definitely could do more gesture studies for sure. Thanks for the paintover, looks great although it's much too late to alter the pose at this point.

Hai: Thank you, will definitely keep that in mind.

Kontrapunktus: Thanks for the info, I'll try to be more conscious of this for future pieces.

I think I'll wrap this image up now, worked on it long enough. Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me out, very much appreciate it..... Next update will be on the space alien!

cgaddict

Postby Luna » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:06 pm

Haha! Fun Design in the last image! ^^
I also like to see more of your sketches of figures. :P The human size in the illustration is a little bit not very right. Maybe a lot more of sketches of human body would help? XP
Keep going, cgaddict! Good job from imagination! @v@
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Othrandir » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:01 am

Hey man! Loved the alien some posts ago! I think you did a great job with it. Looking at the most recent pieces, I think you'd benefit from some more anatomy studies. I would recommend Michael Hampton's book Figure Drawing - Design and Invention. Also Sycra's videos like this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByIMGhV ... vGtbBtHw_w
Othrandir

Postby KidKong » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:39 am

Hi there :) I'll echo what the others said that your rendering is very good and I like how polished all of your finished pieces are! On your last space marine piece i'll actually go a bit against the grain regarding the proportions, I actually think they are too "human" for lack of a better term. In most depictions/official art, space marines have almost dwarf-like proportions due to their huge armor (As in very wide and stocky). I think you captured this nicely in the first space marine piece but went a bit more conventionally correct for the latest one.
Still it's very well done of course, keep on exterminating those xenos :)
KidKong
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby cgaddict » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:12 am

Luna: Thank you. I'm planning to do more figure drawing studies first, but I'm taking a brick of a break and focusing a bit more on my environments at the moment.

Othrandir: Thank you, the alien was a blast to paint! I have that book you mentioned, I'm definitely going to tackle it again in future studies, thanks for the recommendation!

KidKong: Thanks, I'm used to illustrating an ideal proportion for my figures, so that was a bit tough to break. Will be more conscious of this especially when handling armor and such.

I had a very productive week, did a ton of environment and perspective studies.

And that'll be all, I'll have another update soon with the 'Alien' painting, it's almost finished.
cgaddict

Postby cgaddict » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:43 am

I continued with my perspective studies, really paying off... I have a much greater 'feel' of perspective now, and there also quite a lot of fun to illustrate!

cgaddict

Re: CGAddict's Sketchbook (nudity)

Postby cgaddict » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:43 am

Found the time to finish up the 'Alien' piece, thanks everyone for their input!

cgaddict

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks