Sarah's Portfolio

Portfolio threads go here!

Sarah's Portfolio

Postby Erysium » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey everyone! I'm 19, freshman at MICA(for now) Studying Illustration, but I'm more into visual development for animation.

Here's work from the last year and a half. The number 1 thing I want to work on is getting outside my comfort zone of 'pretty, generic environment+figure standing around staring' D: Let me know what you guys think!

Hunter.jpg
Hunter.jpg (361.39 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
snowfall.jpg
snowfall.jpg (461.5 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
flood-tide.jpg
flood-tide.jpg (427.01 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
gibigianna-new.jpg
gibigianna-new.jpg (429.54 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
kitesNEW.jpg
kitesNEW.jpg (320.93 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
temple.jpg
Photo Study!
temple.jpg (410.93 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
zoo1.jpg
zoo1.jpg (500.26 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
kv.jpg
kv.jpg (494.41 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
visdev.jpg
visdev.jpg (400.07 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
oriiiiismaller.jpg
oriiiiismaller.jpg (441.78 KiB) Viewed 6100 times
Erysium
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Re: Sarah's Portfolio

Postby David » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am

hmm I'm really liking your stuff, lot's of interesting angles going on and nice character work!
David
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Raymod » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Holy geez, you're incredible! Colour me inspired-- I hope to reach this kind of level one day O:!
Raymod
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby Liam » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:02 pm

Amazing stuff! Your perspective is super nice and also strong and your colour and level of detail are great! I don't really have much in terms of critique, you've got your style down by the looks of it and your fundamentals are pretty strong :)
Liam

Postby jenmundy » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Absolutely beautiful work! Sense of scale is awesome, environments are great, and your fearlessness with perspective is inspiring :)
jenmundy

Postby PurpleMangoes » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:17 am

Oh how simply dreamy to have the chance to crit Sarah's work from an easy to manage forum style format. <3

Well, even though I agree on needing to get out of your "comfort zone" and try other sorts of content, I would say that you should try to hang on to your style of coloring. It's sort of a driving force behind the idea of the environments being "pretty", but certainly not what makes them "generic". Regardless of whether or not your characters need work on their design, if your worlds are nothing unique, or if any of your pieces are more or less the same thing, the diverse situations you lay out color wise are more than enough to draw me into the piece all the same, and often times not notice this lack of diversity you're trying to tackle. It kind of... hypnotizes me, y'know?

Now, I definitely notice what you're describing with the way that your characters seem to just be... standing in the environments, and I do think the scenes you make would be a lot more engaging if the people themselves were more engaged? You like to create fictional worlds, and illustrate the lives of the people who live inside them, and there's not really a problem with that. The problem is how they're shown to be so "meh" about their surroundings, because they live there, they're used to their surroundings, they're all just going about their daily business with no particular goal in mind. This is where I think you should try to have some fun with things! I'm guessing that you're probably already familiar with the work of Paul Felix, but I think that looking at the figures in his concept drawings for some of the Disney Works he's helped create would give you the kind of human interaction I'm talking about. Many of his compositions remind me of the ways that you lay out your pieces, with the high amount of detail, incredible sense of value and depth and so on, but look at some of his pieces that have characters in them. In this piece, for instance, Lilo and Stitch aren't all that detailed, but they are full of personality. Even someone who'd never heard of this movie before can get figure out so much about the two of them from the way they're interacting with the environment. Try and think about this kind of interaction. Lilo is a native to her little town in Hawaii, she's perfectly used to what's around her, but she still manages to have fun with the various antics she gets up to, particularly when something unusual, i.e. Stitch, is thrown into the mix, so you could also try something like this, where these characters are experiencing something that they are not used to. Having more character-on-character interaction would be good too, I personally felt like you made a huge step forward with the sketches for your "Snowfall" project, showing all the ways in which those two characters interacted with one another. (Except they weren't put into an in depth environment in these sketches!) And of course, don't limit it to just two characters. It'd be quite interesting to see an entire group of characters, kind of like the dynamic you have in your zoo Illustration with the child looking at all of the animals. Oh, and varying up the body types of the people you draw could help too, but you probably already know that. This could mean anything from drawing more masculine figures, to characters that are completely non-human. Try asking Alex about this stuff, he's good with working personality into nonhuman characters!

Maybe a more speculative suggestion, but seeing as you're so good working with perspective and fields of depth, you could try using this to your advantage for the content of the piece? Like, in most of your Illustrations, we're getting a semi-arial, fairly human sized scale, like we're just kind of hovering in the air and looking down on the scene and what your characters are doing. I think this is also what contributes to the "generic" feel of many of your environments, being that we're seeing things from the kind of perspective of, like, a photographer taking a photo of one of the great wonders of the world. But what if you tried putting some of them from a point of view that gave the viewer more of a connection to the scene/the figures in the piece? Like positioning us directly behind one of the characters, or directly in front of them? Perhaps reverse it and have us very close to the ground, staring up at the figures? I want to avoid saying that you need to switch over to painting things that are dirty and grungy, or entirely different kinds of fiction, because while that can help diversify your portfolio more, it kind of seems like a cop out way of making it diverse. You could make a scenario that seems completely un-Sarah, like a... death metal... robo nazi... battle sequence, or something, but if it's composed the same way, I'm not sure that it'll feel all that different in the long run.

Hope I threw a couple of helpful new suggestions out there for you, and I can't wait to see what you make in the upcoming year!
PurpleMangoes

Postby eilidh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:51 am

Gorgeous, gorgeous environments!

(I was going to write a few thoughts about pushing your comfort zone, but Purple Mangoes covered it all and put it way more elaborately than I possibly could. ;) That's some golden advice there.)
eilidh

Postby Connor.A » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:05 am

Some stunning scene complexities going on here! Love it!
Connor.A

Postby ChrisSzczesiul » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:28 am

It's really enjoyable to see all the character you put into your characters. It's a fresh breath of air.

Also, spectacular environment setups.
ChrisSzczesiul

Postby heysawbones » Fri May 02, 2014 3:03 am

That last one is just blowing my mind right now. Lots to think about.
heysawbones

Postby Povan » Fri May 09, 2014 8:05 am

Beautiful work! Kinda depressing to see that we are at the same age though :D
Sketchbook Page!
The love for the traditional style!
Povan

Postby omer sharon » Sun May 11, 2014 1:09 pm

just awsome, really.
love the Aladin scene
just my humble sketchbook :]
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=578
omer sharon
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Giorge » Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 am

Really awesome colors and linework, lots of detail O_O :), cant wait to see more! :D
fb/ofgiorge
Giorge

Postby Erysium » Fri May 16, 2014 11:43 am

(Sorry for the slow replies, been busy with finals and moving) No new finished work just yet, but I'll start a sb soon!
Thanks for the kind words everyone! Need more critique though :)

David- Thanks man! Really like your work too, I need to figure out how to do strong simple compositions like that!
Raymod- Thanks!
Liam- That's great to hear, thanks! I really want to keep pushing fundamentals along with style this summer, but it's great to hear I'm part way there already.
Jen- Thanks Jen! :)
PurpleMangoes- Hey Grant, thanks for the help! It's great to hear exactly what's working out and what's not. Everything you mentioned about making the characters more like characters rather than just props was super useful too, definitely things I'll keep in mind. I really appreciate the suggestion to change up the perspective for better storytelling too, that's not something I've heard before but something I should be thinking about. I miiight not start painting the robo nazis just yet, but I totally do want to work on getting some variation with mood.
Thanks again for taking the time to think about all this so thoroughly, I really appreciate it!

Eilidh- Thanks! Yeah, definitely stuff there that I'm going to keep in mind :)
Connor- Thanks!
Chris-Thanks! That's something I really want to keep pushing - I don't feel like I'm doing it very well yet, but I've been looking at a lot more animation instead of concept art lately which has really helped with that.
heysawbones- Thanks man!
Povan- Don't be depressed! I see younger artists all the time who are way better than I was at their age, but it should just serve to motivate you even more! :)
Omer - Thanks!
Giorge - Thanks, I'll try not to disappoint! ;)
Erysium

Postby RioBurton » Thu May 22, 2014 9:49 am

The first image really wowed me! I love the atmosphere in it. I also love the piece with the girl in the boat that's sort of "venice" looking.
I really enjoy the concepts you have illustrated of the girl sitting on the cushions. How you show the layout of the room, the lanterns and then the little scene in the corner to get the feel of it all.

I personally am not a big fan of the rougher painted environments, but that's just personal preference. :)
RioBurton

Postby Ambiguity » Fri May 23, 2014 4:20 am

19? Really makes me wonder what the heck I've been doing this whole time :P.
My Deviantart
My Sketchbook Feel free to drop in and offer advice :)
Ambiguity
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby yams4ever » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:25 pm

The focus, in terms of amount of rendering or contrast of shapes looks oddly distributed in a few of the pieces. My attention gets drawn towards parts that don't seem to be as important. For example in the flood tide you've added texture in the rocks around her feet and reflections in the water but the surrounding stone is pretty rough as well as the girl herself and most of what's in the light next to her. The perspective of the bricks looks off in the wall next to the girl.
In oriiiiismaller.jpg there is a lot going on and the values are condensed so it makes it more difficult for my(not sure about anyone else) to go to spots because they are in generally low contrast areas. I looked at this piece over 10 times over a period of a few weeks or so and I just noticed that there was a dragon(?) in the sky. The lighting is also confusing since the yellows in the background make me think that the suns setting over there yet the lighting seems to be coming from the left of the picture.
I cant do paintovers or anything but if I could I would point out some perspective issues I think I see in snowfall.

Ps. I don't intend to jack your thread, but how did/do you like Mica and the illus program? and whats up with the (for now)? Could I pm you to converse? I visited the school a few months ago and I would like it get to know as much as I can about it from a current student. I remember seeing your portfolio thread on conceptart a while ago.
yams4ever
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Erysium » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:55 pm

RioBurton- Thanks man! I need to make time to work on that project some more, I had a lot of fun with it (: Yeah, I've been trying to figure out how to get a bit looser, but the style isn't quite there yet
Ambiguity- Me too D:
Yams- Thanks for the all help! I totally agree about the problem with rendering the wrong areas, I really need to work on keeping that more around the focal points rather than randomly around the picture. Definitely need to work on having clearer contrast and less random details that can be confusing, too. Snowfall is the oldest piece here, (early 2013?), so I see a lot of the perspective issues with it, but I'd still be happy to hear what you notice!
Sure, send me a pm and I'll answer any questions I can! It's a great school in a lot of ways, but the foundation year was really frustrated for me (especially for the cost). I'm hoping next year when I can take more specialized classes it will be better- otherwise I'm thinking about transferring/studying at an atelier instead.

Just been working on commissions for the last 2 months - I haven't been super excited about them, so I took this one a little farther than usual just for fun. Trying to keep most of the rendering on the focal points, and leave the rest of it alone.
_alice!.jpg
_alice!.jpg (422.94 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Erysium

Postby Djävulen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:37 am

Love the Alice one! Expressions are great all around. The palette is beautiful too. I realize that the characters to the right are "dimmed out" to bring focus to Alice, which works great, but i feel they may be a bit too washed out? Again, i realize this is intentional, they just seem a bit to gray, with the light source on Alice maybe you should have just made the right part darker.

Beautiful stuff though, keep them coming.
Djävulen

Postby Lodratio » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:05 am

I think the guy above me is right. Mind you, I really have no business criticising you, and I couldn't even put all the things you are doing right into words. Everything you do has atmosphere and you don't seem to rely on a single style to get your results. So, yeah. Nice portfolio, I really like what you're doing.
Lodratio
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Erysium » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:13 pm

Been trying to figure out a work life balance for the last couple months. I took on too many things last semester (concept art internship, intense classes, commissions, conventions), couldn't keep up, and it resulted in doing a bunch of work I couldn't finish to a decent standard and feeling burnt out. Getting back into the swing of things now though.

Here's some work from a concept art class - a redesign of Aladdin, focusing on the original story's setting. Had fun trying out this style, but I definitely need to work on my speed since I feel like quality drops a lot when there's a tight deadline. Crit would be great since I don't really know what's working/not working here yet!

characters.jpg
characters.jpg (362.54 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

room.jpg
room.jpg (160.9 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
aladdin environ.jpg
aladdin environ.jpg (366.6 KiB) Viewed 4119 times

aladdin poster.jpg
aladdin poster.jpg (350.09 KiB) Viewed 4119 times
Erysium

Postby Hai » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:50 am

damn good stuff. pretty sure you can get job at disney or something.
Hai
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Return to Finished work