Anthony Jones How to Study video.

And brushes! Sharing is caring <3

Anthony Jones How to Study video.

Postby Geebler » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:05 am

Anthony Jones made this amazing video talking how is his approach to study.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kfK46n ... Bra3RmjGag
"Life is a winking light in the darkness." - Hayao Miyazaki
My Instagram
My deviantArt
My sketchbook
Geebler
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Anthony Jones How to Study video.

Postby Kikindaface » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:26 am

Thanks for the vid man ! Though i don't totally agree with him, you have some artists learning by taking notes and others by really understanding what they're doing. He's speaking os copying as something you do mindlessely, which 90 % of artist do ( replicate the same values and the same colors and it's called a painting ) But some others are truly studying when painting from photos : they actually try to understand where the light is coming from, the angles of the planes, how the volume is turning, identifying some patterns in colors, etc ! And they show their understanding through the painting by sometimes exagerrating the contrast, really have a feeling of volume, sharpening or softening some edges !Amazing artists like wesburt, hannes, jana, Noxizmad, etc, learned this way. And maybe that's what the guy did when doing his sargent studies. But labelling all the paintings studies as copying is a huge shortcut imo. Maybe his way of studying fits well to him and to some others though, and that's great if it could help some peoples.
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Re: Anthony Jones How to Study video.

Postby Geebler » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:46 am

Kikindaface, thanks for your observation =] I think we can learn form all ways of study. Maybe for some of us one way is better, for others the another way works better. I just posted here the vid cause his approach is something "new" for me, and I tried and I can say it's working for me and I wanted to others have the acess to that video as well and maybe try that as too =]
"Life is a winking light in the darkness." - Hayao Miyazaki
My Instagram
My deviantArt
My sketchbook
Geebler
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Return to Tutorials and Resources