A homemade histogram comparer

And brushes! Sharing is caring <3

A homemade histogram comparer

Postby Erik » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:37 pm

Hey everybody, I recently made a simple Python program that would show me how the brightness histograms of my images compared to others'. This taught me that I was overusing pure blacks and pure whites, and ignoring the low values.

histogram-comparison.png
histogram-comparison.png (55.24 KiB) Viewed 1338 times

(A brightness histogram is what you see when you run Threshold in Photoshop.)

Stinkypanda said it should be an app, and I found an easy way to make one out of my script. If you'd like to try it, here it is.

That link will let you download a 15 megabyte rar. Inside is a single folder called 'dist'. Extract that anywhere you like, then open up dist. Inside there will be an executable called "histogram_comparer.exe". Double click that and follow the on-screen instructions. God willing, you should get a csv within that dist folder named "histogram.csv". You can use that data to make yourself a line graph like I did.

Some disclaimers:

This may only work on Windows, and even then I'm not sure. This is my first time packaging a Python script into an executable.
You won't be able to paste your directory paths into the prompt, you'll have to type them out. Sorry about that -- hopefully your folders have short names!
Erik
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: A homemade histogram comparer

Postby yams4ever » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Wow, thanks for sharing this. I'll let you know how it works and what I think when I play around with it. It won't be for a while though.
yams4ever
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby ErnieTheMighty » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:56 pm

Hey! Thanks a lot! Although I have no idea how to properly make a chart for it. :D

I can make it, but I don't know how round these up so it doesnt try to show ALL the rows. : D
Sketchbook | DeviantART | Tumblr | Facebook | Skype - cyklopas261 | Yeeeeeah!
ErnieTheMighty
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby Erik » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am

Hey Ernie, if you've got Excel, you're looking for a Pivot Table. This page explains how to do the grouping.
Erik
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Return to Tutorials and Resources