VOTING: Character of the Week 01: The Restorer

Who do you think took the cake? You have three votes!

Poll ended at Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:15 am

Pantzar
3%
Zipfelzeus
34%
Mark T
26%
jeremygordonart
5%
mazerbolt
21%
Raymod
11%

Total votes : 38

VOTING: Character of the Week 01: The Restorer

Postby algenpfleger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:04 am

Post your finals here and link to the steps! Voting starts soon after! Good luck :D
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Re: FINALS: Character of the Week 01: The Restorer

Postby Pantzar » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:13 am

Aight! Here is my submission, no colors on this one, hope grayscale is okay?

Links to steps:
1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64&start=30#p3710
2: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64&start=30#p4365

Am I doing this right? Never been on a forum like this before. :3
Attachments
CotW01Restorer_h.jpg
CotW01Restorer_h.jpg (189.03 KiB) Viewed 5066 times
Pantzar
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:17 am

Ohhhh I'm in the game. Sorry that I haven't really posted steps :( Here it is anyway.
Attachments
restorer.jpg
restorer.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 5050 times
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Mark T » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 pm

Well forgot to work on it, so I tried to finish it a bit in a hurry between work and stuff, wanted to add a lot more details that he had gathered and repaired, but anyway here it is :
and the steps : http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64#p2087
http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64#p2522
Mark T
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby jeremygordonart » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:29 pm

Attachments
restorerfinal.jpg
restorerfinal.jpg (313.26 KiB) Viewed 5021 times
jeremygordonart
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby mazerbolt » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Link to steps
restorerfinalmazerbolt.jpg
restorerfinalmazerbolt.jpg (259.21 KiB) Viewed 5017 times
mazerbolt
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Raymod » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:16 am

steps:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64&start=30#p4276
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64&start=30#p4448

character challenge copie.png
character challenge copie.png (436.33 KiB) Viewed 5010 times
Raymod

Postby algenpfleger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:16 am

Poll is up! Awesome work everyone, will post crits once I'm done with work *A*!
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Re: VOTING: Character of the Week 01: The Restorer

Postby Mark T » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 am

Really nice work everyone, I voted for Zipfelzeus, mazerbolt and Raymod.
But here's a comment for each participant, I won't compliment you all, it's more a feedback on what I think could have been better on each image, pros and cons.
So I hope nobody gets my comments/critics badly :)

Pantzar : Nice work, I like the fact that you painted your character in an environment and in action.
But there are a few things that bothers me, that I would like to mention.
First of all it's a pitty that we don't see the character's face enough, I think it's a pretty important aspect on a character design.
Secondly, I really have a problem understanding what she's actually doing to the tree, I'm guessing that she's healing it due to the topic, though if I didn't knew the topic, I would have said that she's burning it (it's probably due to the fact that it's in B&W).
Finally her arms and upper body is a bit too small, I think it would have been more interesting if it was slightly bigger.

Zipfelzeus : Really nice work ! My favorite, I really like the concept and the colors are pretty good too.
Some small critics : I think the image is a bit too croped you could have added some space on the top and sides of the image. The other thing that bothers me is the staff he's holding, the hand holding it is a bit off, plus I wasn't sure if the staff was attached to something or not.

Jeremygordonart : I like it, but two things that disturbs me. The first one is that the pose is a bit stiff. The second one is that I feel like it's not finished, because it lacks of details.
Some ideas to explain what I mean : The belt could have been a bit lower and you could have added a few more "potions" on it, maybe you could have done a sort of multiple belt. The arms could have some scars/tattoos to make him look more badass. The boots could have been a bit more detailled with some shoelaces, his trousers could have been a bit torn.

Mazerbolt : I really like the global mood of the image, nice colors, nice lighting, and I love his face.
I haven't got a lot of critic actually, except the fact that maybe, you could have added more shelves with a lot more items on them, to give us the feeling that he's some sort of artifact restorer and that he has got a lot of experience.

Raymond : Love the style ! I really like the composition and the design too! The only critic that I could do, is that it's a bit too monochromatic, maybe some red/orange touch could have been good on the hair of the deity, I don't know.

Anyway Great job everyone, can't wait to do an other one ! :)
Mark T

Postby Pantzar » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:58 am

@ Mark T: Thanks for the feedback, I sadly didnt have time to push it into colors from grayscale so I think it could have read better if I had that. I'm pretty new to the whole drawing business, on and off for about 2 years or so, and havnt done a figuredrawing to save my life hence the lame cloak that covers half her body up. x.x

I really like your character design, can really feel the scrapper/scavanging mood from it, both from the trashed clothing to the junk he's collected, would have loved to see a background though could have had made the design be even more lifelike, not sure about this but perhaps could have pushed the values around the opening to his clothes aswell to give a further feeling of depth.

Really enjoyed this challenge, will be joining the next one aswell! :D
Pantzar

Postby jeremygordonart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:04 am

Good job everyone! Mark T, thanks for the feedback, you're definitely right about the details. That's the big thing I learned from this (my first time doing a challenge really). Definitely going to focus on details in the next one to hopefully push my characters to a new level! Really like your scrap restorer guy, unfinished though it may be; still looks really nice!
See you guys in the next round hopefully!
jeremygordonart
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:48 pm

Were we suppose to critic the other contestants? I might not have read the rules thorougly. I thought there was a commitee of judges or something.
Anyway thank you Mark T for the taking your time and criticing everyones work. That was awfully nice of you and I do agree with your critic points especially with leaving more space at the top of my painting. It seems so obvious now that you pointed it out.

I'm also kinda glad we had a bunch of entries in the end. I was kind of worried there might only be two or three participants.
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Mark T » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:22 pm

Zipfelzeus, there are no judges or anything, I think small contest like these are the bests, always good to see how others handle the same topic and of course it's great to get a feedback, I was even surprised to see that nobody left any critic or comment except me, don't hesitate to give your thoughts on everybody's work, we are all here to learn. The forum name says it all :)
Mark T

Postby mazerbolt » Thu May 01, 2014 12:06 pm

My votes went to Zip and Mark.

As for feedback, I agree with everything Mark already pointed out earlier, but I'll try to make some additions:

Pantzar: The value grouping you did in your earlier sketch was great - keep doing that. One problem I noticed is that you didn't quite stick to that plan that you had set out. The values of the ground changed a lot by the time we get to the final, but you want to make sure everything still reads correctly from the thumbnail. You also have a few lighting inconsistencies. I think it would be helpful to think about the direction of your primary light source in 3D space, and reduce everything in the scene into mostly boxes, but include spheres, cylinders, cones and pyramids where needed. It becomes much easier to think about which major planes are facing the light source and which aren't. Once that lighting is mapped out and you have your main light and shadow shapes, feel free to refine the forms and think more about your ambient light sources. Also, try to use references for things that you aren't sure about (tree, arms, etc). In future pieces, I'd also like to see you experiment with many different thumbnails before committing to one. Be sure to start a sketchbook so that we can track your progress.

Zipfelzeus: This one is my favorite. Great content, great action, great colors. I agree with Mark that the canvas feels a little too tight around the figure. It could also use a bit more polish, especially the hands. One of the bigger problems is probably the handling of different surfaces. I assume that the ornaments are golden, but they don't really read that way. Don't forget about the blue light source of the sky, and really nail the mirror-like specular reflections of the ornaments where needed. Think about which planes will reflect reds from the cape and skin, and which planes will reflect some blues from the sky, etc.

Mark T: Very solid entry. The design has a lot of bells and whistles that really sell it. A few points: The top of his coat looks like it's reflecting blue sky light, but we don't see that anywhere else. His pose is a bit on the stiff side, though I don't really see any easy way of addressing that considering the complex anatomy. Some of your shadows feel like they're missing some color information, making his skin look sickly at places. Biggest thing I'd address is edge control - a lot of them are a little too sharp and uniform, especially his silhouette. I'm not sure if any of these points were things you were already going to address, but I figured I'd share.

jeremygordon: I like the character, but as Mark already pointed out, he could use a bit more context. That can be done through more details in the costume, showing a bit more of his demeanor in his stance, or even incorporating him in a simple environment (though I think you might already be doing that in the environment contest IIRC). Try to think through his back story and his world, and tell it to the viewer through the design. Don't be afraid to check out fashion blogs, clothing catalogs, etc to really learn about the subtleties of what this guy might be wearing. As for the rendering, diffuse lighting is very tricky to pull off well - a strong directional light source can always make things easier, and you can even tell a story through the direction of the light, the type of light source, and if parts of the character are in shadow. Plan these things out with small thumbnails. The rim light is a little inconsistent. Remember that they are specular reflections - try to put yourself in a scenario where you have a rimlight on your hand, then see what happens as you rotate and move your hand, move your head, etc. Try to get a feel for when rimlights should appear, and what they look like when they do.

Raymod: I like the scene and that you put your character in context. A few considerations: I like your limited palette but it feels a little too limited given the stylistic choice. I feel that more vibrant colors would work a lot better with the style of the drawing. Also, the hands, feet and eyes of the character seem a bit too large in that it's inconsistent with the other characters in the scene. She looks more 'cartoonish' that the two travelers, which is a little jarring IMO as they don't quite look like they belong in the same scene together. Other than that the piece is very solid in terms of composition, content, and storytelling.
mazerbolt

Postby Raymod » Thu May 01, 2014 12:59 pm

Whoaaa thanks for the critique, guys!!

@Mark T: You're definitely right about the monochrome-- I tend to get too caught up trying to make the colours harmonious that they all end up really close in value. You make a good point about more people critiquing too... I'm not very good at it, so I just opted not to, ha. You've given me a few things I'll be sure to do next time, though!

@Mazerbolt: I have a lot of issues when it comes to proportions and style and all that, haha. I'm not very good and judging my own work, so while I felt that the feet and the hands were a little large I thought it was a small enough issue to let slide... Clearly not, though! I'd never thought about whether or not some of my artwork clashed with itself (cartoony vs not cartoony), so that's definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future, too.

Thanks again!! I'm not too great at critiques, and I think anything I would've said has been stated already, but, uh, just wanted to let you know that I appreciate it!
Raymod

Postby bica » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:54 am

So many great drawings! GJ guys!
bica

Return to Character of the Week