Environment of the Week 01: The Restoration

Postby takashmen » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:53 am

It's time!

Finals thread opens: Saturday, May 3rd
Voting begins: Sunday, May 4th

Brief:
-It's a two week challenge due to the Character one.
-You can use your character from previous challenge, but it's not obligatory.
-Feel free to interpret the topic. It can mean all sorts of things!

Sketches, steps or/and studies must be posted within final thread.

Good luck and have fun!
takashmen
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Re: Environment of the Week 01: The Restoration

Postby chromaTinker » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:17 am

Enviro challenge, yes! Looking kind of lonely in here though, come on guys! Here's some thumbnails, going to expand on the large one.

cgsb_img-0289.jpg
cgsb_img-0289.jpg (270.99 KiB) Viewed 7937 times

Didn't want to double post yet so here's the next 6. Going to work with some combination of the bottom two and start on working the design out.

cgsb_img-0290.jpg
cgsb_img-0290.jpg (222.21 KiB) Viewed 7934 times

Alright, alright. Here's a bit more. Bottom right is final idea/general composition. A mysterious set of floating cliches restores life to an old forest graveyard.

cgsb_img-0291.jpg
cgsb_img-0291.jpg (250.5 KiB) Viewed 7918 times
chromaTinker
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Savi » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:30 pm

Oh this sounds rad! and digging your work chroma

Edit: Here is my start on some ideas.. just threw them on a page before I had to sleep =]

Large ( for extra lameness )
https://i.imgur.com/Wjpmt7D.jpg
Savi
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby takashmen » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:12 am

cool ideas chromaTinker

the one with gravyard is pretty solid, now when you have idea of objects restoring life, I'd recommend you to go for thumbs exploration
different perspective and design, also do some reference gathering, it can help a lot .

@Savi
still too loose to say something about most of them, the left bottom one looks interesting, like rising ship or city, the one on the right is too gereric, don't see any restoration happening, keep working, do some research, go for adequate line drawing

waiting to see more from both of you!
---

and here's mine
going for some sci-fi interior where group of spacetravelers will be exploring abandoned alien tomb
first was idea in my head, than I made so called moodboard (at the bottom) than I did a sketch (on paper, and digitally) using big blocks trying to get more solid idea of what to paint
after a while I decided to look for more ideas, so I made some abstract thumbs using my photo library and photoshop blending modes

the next step is to extract interesting shapes and design and apply it to line drawing above, will see how will it ends :)

eow step1.jpg
eow 01 step 1
eow step1.jpg (371.84 KiB) Viewed 7873 times
takashmen

Postby chromaTinker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:17 am

Savi - Thanks! I think you should spend a little more time in the thumbnailing stage, work out a good composition and design. Right now your bottom two feel pretty symmetrical.

Takashmen - Yeah, I'm gonna take a few more thumbnails before I settle for something. Ref will come in as I hid roadblocks in my design. The thumbnail you have is looking pretty good for composition, but I think I'd like to see a few more thumbs just to rule out other possibilities at the very least. Cool ref sheets too, you're generating some interesting palettes.

Here's some more thumbs looking at perspective options and alternative layouts for objects. I think I'm going to explore the bottom right one, I flipped the graveyard to the foreground which seems a bit better than all the interest being in the middle/background.

cgsb_img-0293.jpg
cgsb_img-0293.jpg (364.84 KiB) Viewed 7857 times

Not really an update worth bumping for but... Settled on my comp now and I'm working on the final sketch. Threw the scene into sketchup and designed the bridge and little gateway into the graveyard. Also added in really loose ideas for where I want some zombies to be. The design of the artifact which is restoring life will be the sphere I think. The floating rings idea just doesn't really work that well.

cgsb_img-0294.jpg
cgsb_img-0294.jpg (215.22 KiB) Viewed 7728 times
Last edited by chromaTinker on Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chromaTinker

Postby jeremygordonart » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:29 pm

I'm using my character The Restorer to perform an exorcism in this piece.
Here are two thumbnails of the same scene in different perspectives basically, the Restorer beside the bed of the possessed lady. Very rough still, just trying to figure out an angle I like.
Attachments
restoration_thumbs_1.jpg
restoration_thumbs_1.jpg (251.43 KiB) Viewed 7825 times
jeremygordonart
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby jeremygordonart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:36 pm

Added a few more thumbnails
Attachments
restoration_thumbs_1.jpg
restoration_thumbs_1.jpg (276.12 KiB) Viewed 7726 times
jeremygordonart

Postby Savi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm

Sorry for late reply, thanks for the crit =] next set ill do some tighter linear stuff as suggested and try and focus on stronger communication. (instead of my grey mess of doom..) cant wait to see more of all of your work! keeps me inspired to keep working =D

Any how I drew these in my breaks at work

I've been thinking of the idea of restoring a machine like a ship or a robot, kinda like the idea of bringing life back to an object like that in an environment. (don't ask about the flying ship it was just going that way..)

I have a long way to go..
Savi

Postby takashmen » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:59 am

nice work guys!!

@jeremygordonart
i like 2 and 4 the most, because they show some enviromnent :)
@Savi
keep on working on those, choose two ro three and make them more solid and understandable
@chroma
thhe last step is looking good, whatch your perspective though, also if you suggest some changes in ground level show if there are some stairs or clear rock pattern, cause now it's kinda too unreal

also thanks for crit, I follow the idea of exploring more and here is the result

blew my abstract plates and looked for interesting patterns, than sketch over them
next step is to creat redable thumbs, I like last one the most, the first one will be changed drastically during the process of painting, now is too divided into halves.

eow step 2.jpg
eow step 2.jpg (425.65 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
takashmen

Postby chromaTinker » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:37 pm

jeremygordon - Good job so far exploring thumbnails. Nailing down the appropriate camera angle is super important. Keep goin.

Savi - Glad to see you're thinking about perspective in your thumbnails. It wasn't clear before, but these are a good improvement. Perhaps you could try narrowing down the idea for your scene more, it might be easier to thumbnail if you can visualize the scene. Just a suggestion anyways.

takashmen - thanks man. I cleaned up the final sketch some. I assume you're referring to the height difference between bridge and ground level not being clear. Hopefully now the rocky ramp on both sides is more clear.

Glad to see some more thumbnails from you, and I think you should continue exploring that unless you've got a clear idea in mind. I too feel the bottom is the strongest, but I'm noticing amongst your thumbnails that you've used the same perspective view for all of them. Sometimes a useful thing to explore is different camera angles, different lens (35mm vs 200mm, etc.), and where the horizon line is. Also try to experiment with your VP locations more, 2PP with VP's equidistant from the center of the picture plane can be hard to compose on because it lends itself to symmetrical compositions. This VP arrangement places objects at a direct 45 degree view. Anyways, hope that helps.

So here's the final sketch with rough value arrangement underneath. I'm feeling good about this composition, but it needs some work still. A little bit of clever balancing though should fix it up. The white line is the spell effect border which is restoring life. I probably won't have this done for the final, but this one is a challenge worth finishing even so.

cgsb_img-0302.jpg
cgsb_img-0302.jpg (177.93 KiB) Viewed 7516 times
chromaTinker

Postby jeremygordonart » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:16 pm

chromatinker- looking good at this point, I'm excited to see the next step!

Savi - I like most the top left or the top third from left. Either one though, if you made one area of the painting more green and bright and saturated in the focal point it would maybe sell the idea of restoration, if you contrast it with more brown and dead colors. Looking forward to some more refined comps.

takashmen- good-looking lines; I like the way you're bringing in the photos, definitely something I want to try in the next challenge. They're too small for me to tell which one I like most at this point, but I look forward to seeing something more refined : )

Here's my next step, adding in color. Need to refine stuff and add in highlights and details, though this one is really going to be challenging from this point forward I'm thinking. I hope to learn a lot from this. I know it's really dark right now, but I feel like if I brighten things then it won't feel like a candle-lit room, so I may add in an off-screen light source to make things more visible too.
Attachments
restoration_step1.jpg
restoration_step1.jpg (164.71 KiB) Viewed 7509 times
jeremygordonart

Postby jeremygordonart » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:38 pm

A little progress, still need to add more color and light variation and more details in the room itself. This one is really a struggle for me, but I feel like that's a good thing.
Attachments
restoration_step2.jpg
restoration_step2.jpg (196.31 KiB) Viewed 7420 times
jeremygordonart

Postby Uva » Fri May 02, 2014 10:55 am

chromaTinker, great thumbnails!
There's too much going on in the final sketch, and at the first glance it's not clear what is the focus: the figure coming through the arch in the left, the zombie rising in the foreground or the light sphere in the background. But otherwise it's good, and the story is clear and readable.

Savi, takashmen, nice thumbs too.

jeremygordonart, this doesn't look like an environment, because the focus is clearly on the characters. But still that's a good idea for an illustration. I would suggest introducing sky as a stronger light source, maybe as if the full moon were out.

The restoration of a burnt forest. Still not sure about lighting/colour/composition:
Attachments
Restoration_2.jpg
Restoration_2.jpg (432.21 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Restoration_wip.jpg
Restoration_wip.jpg (314.13 KiB) Viewed 7351 times
Uva
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Environment of the Week 01 The Restoration

Postby Kennethtug » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:55 pm

The following is an example for recommended length that will fit in the allotted space for RP Of The Week.
online pharmacy uk codeine http://2getmeds.com online pharmacy masters degree
Kennethtug

Postby Luna » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:16 pm

Forgot to leave a foodprints... @.@~ I actually followed Kennethtug here and just wanted to say
These two images really got my heart!
Restoration_2.jpg
Restoration_wip.jpg

absolutely Love those env here before~ :P Thanks for posted forever! <3 ......
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Return to Environment of the Week